cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange behavior

Norsten
Level 7
On a fresh install of Windows 8.1 (64bit) with only the Asus drivers/software installed I get the following problems,,,
(its not overlclocked -and the current bios is 0603)

1) Key repeats when typing (it doesn't happen all the time -but every now and then when I type one of the letters would repeat itself about 10 or so times).

2) Unstable behaviour in Internet Explorer 11 (if I save web-link shortcut to the desktop and try to reopen that link then sometimes that page wouldn't open -also it sometimes freezes when trying to play YouTube video).

3) sometimes the pc would lock up -whilst other times it would allow me to move the mouse yet I would not be able to click/select anything).

I am wondering if its memory related. Has anyone else experience similar issues?

Cheers
13 REPLIES 13

Chino
Level 15
Welcome to the ROG forums, Norsten.

Please list your complete system specifications for me. Also include the make and model of all your USB devices connected to the system.

Norsten
Level 7
Hello, thank you for the quick reply -my specifications are as follows...

System Specs...
Rampage V with 0603 bios / not overclocked
i7-5960X CPU - Watercooled
690 GTX GPU - Watercooled
16gb Crucial RAM 2133Mhz
Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb SSD

USB Devices...
Ducky 3 Keyboard
Logitech G502 Mouse
Aquaero 5XT
AmbiBox (usb lighting effect) >> disconnected because PC will not boot when its connected

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks

Chino
Level 15
Please confirm that you've connected the 4 pin power cable to your motherboard and that you have your memory sticks in the red slots. Then clear your CMOS for me. See if the problem still persists.

Also is this a fresh Windows installation? And which USB ports are you using for your keyboard and mouse?

Norsten
Level 7
Hello,
I have an 8 pin power cable connected, my memory is in the red slot, I've reset the cmos and yet the problems still exist.
-yes this is a fresh install -my mouse is on usb 2 and my keyboard is on usb 3.

Norsten
Level 7
I am certain now that my issues relate to the USB 3.0 ports -if I have anything (mouse, keyboard, etc) plugged into them and I restart my pc then it prevents the pc from booting up properly (I just see a blue Windows 8.1 logo -but no spinning dots). When is the next firmware available ? (as I am hoping this has been sorted out by now).

Norsten wrote:
I am certain now that my issues relate to the USB 3.0 ports -if I have anything (mouse, keyboard, etc) plugged into them and I restart my pc then it prevents the pc from booting up properly (I just see a blue Windows 8.1 logo -but no spinning dots). When is the next firmware available ? (as I am hoping this has been sorted out by now).

Yer don't use the Asmedia ports there a load of crap try other set i have all types of problems with them.

Norsten
Level 7
ahaa -so those 10 ports on the back panel are problematic then ?

No some of them are intel ports others are asmedia which I've had problems with also using with the front panel asmedia connector, Really only a list of devices are supported on these ports i found out, The problem i got was my hard drive would disconnect and reconnect every 30 seconds, Also one of the front port i use which is plugged into the asmedia connecter doesn't even pickup some devices. I believe the top 4 ports are asmedia but i cant say for sure look in control panel.

SGMRock
Level 9
I have not had any issues with them, all my USB devices are hooked into them accept for my keyboard which is connected to the Keybot USB 2.0 port. Only USB issue I had was that my Razer Nostromo would not work right when I had my USB 360 Wireless controller plugged in. I guess that's a known issue though. If I remember correctly on my P9X79 Deluxe board I had to hook that into a USB 2.0 port and I had to put the Nostromo on a USB 3.0 port so they would be on different bus to work. The R5E doesn't have hardly any USB 2.0 ports built in though so I just left that 360 thing unhooked, I don't use it anymore anyway I just hook my Xbox One controller up now with USB cable.

Did you install the ASMedia USB drivers?
Asus ROG Rampage VI Apex 2002 BIOS / Intel i9-7900X / G.Skill TridentZ RBG F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 17-17-17-37
LG 38" 38GL950G-B Ultrawide / EVGA RTX 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid/ Sound Blaster AE-5
Corsair H115i Pro CPU Cooler / EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2 / Corsair Arctic White T780 Case