cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP!! Is there a away to turn up USB header voltage on z97 Hero VII?

Brighttail
Level 11
Hello all,

I have a z97 Hero VII and want to plug in my Corsair k95 motherboard to the FRONT USB header and use the USB pass-through on the keyboard for my Corsair M95 mouse. I currently use a Corsair 600T Case but will be switching to a 760T. I was able to accomplish this with my old Asus z87-A motherboard with no issues, but on this motherboard I hear the computer recognize that something has been plugged in but there seems to not be enough power on these front ports to power the mouse through the USB pass-through.

- I have tried all the USB 2.0 and the one 3.0 ports on the front for the pass-through with no success.
- I have used a USB cable from the back to connect to the USB 3.0 cable on the front, still with no success.
- If I use the USB ports on the back, it works just fine.
- Yes I kinda need this to work in this configuration due to how my system is laid out.
- The manual states there is a consistent 5.0v going through the front headers, but i'm sure there is some slight drop off when you add the connector to the front panel and then the K95 pass-through cable.

Finally, if there is no way to turn up the USB voltage, would a powered USB hub be a reasonable solution? I say powered because I'm suspecting a normal USB hub would have similar issues, even if plugged into the back. A powered USB hub should supply 5.0 v directly with no additional wires sapping voltage.

I guess what I'm wanting to know is if anyone has had a problem with USB voltage decrease from the USB 3.0 cable that goes from the motherboard to the front panel USB 3.0. If so, then I may have to go with the powered USB hub.

So, what do you all suggest?
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
3 REPLIES 3

kkn
Level 14
is there a power cable to the front base USB connectors??
like sata or molex?
inside bios you can "boost" it a lill but its only aimed for charging cell phones but you can try it at own risk.
dont know where it is on thhat gen mobo but take a look in the manual under USB and under recharge or if there is enny thing similar.

UltraNEO_
Level 11
USB voltage should all be set at 5 volts. Switching the boost on, only increases the available current slightly.
ASUS ROG RVIE Encore| i9-10940x | Dominator Platinum 128GB 3333 MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti SLI | Samsung 970 Pro 1TB NVMe (x3)
WD Black 4TB | WD Black 6TB x2 | EVGA 1600 P2 | CaseLabs SMA8 | Custom Water Cooling | HWLabs Black Ice Nemesis GTX 560
XSPC RX 480 v3 | XSPC D5 Vario x2 | EK Blocks | EK-RES X3 400 | BitsPower Fittings | GentleTypoon 1850 x12 | Corsair SP140 x8 | Lamptron CM615

Twitch.tv/MsNikita | Twitter.com/MsNikitaTV | Instagram.com/MsNikitaTV | Reddit.com/r/MsNikitaTV

I ended up fixing the issue with this little gadget:

NZXT IU01 Internal USB Expansion Module

It plugs directly into the power supply via a molex connector and there is zero degradation of voltage and everything works perfectly now. It is amazing that only NZXT thought of this little product cause it is both amazing and works perfectly.
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop