cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win7, win8, ubuntu triple boot guide on asus g750js

skajuan
Level 7
Hello guys i`m making this thread for those who ever wanted to make a triple boot system with Windows 7, Windows 8 and Ubuntu (all 64bits).

THIS GUIDE IS FOR MEDIUM- EXPERT USERS SO IF YOUR KNOWLEDGE ITS BELOW THAT, LEAVE YOUR SYSTEM IN PEACE O IT WILL BE VERY STRESSING FOR YOU.

Be sure to follow this guide step by step so you can be succesfull at the end.

Having a triple boot system is very Handy if you are one of those who likes to try on new software in different environments, if you are not that person, well then i suggest not to try on this procedure.

This guide is for ASUS G750JS with gtx 870m geforce nvidia, 12gb of ram, Intel i7 4700 processor, and 1.5 TB of HDD, i recommend to do this only if you have the exact same system cause i dont know what may happen in other builds of g750 line.

Now lets begin…

THE SUCCESFULL ORDER TO ACHIEVE THIS IS BY INSTALLING THE THREE OS`S IN THIS ORDER:

1. WINDOWS 7
2. WINDOWS 8
3. UBUNUTU

1.- CLEAN INSTAL OF WINDOWS 7 64 BITS

if you didn`t notice, this method will erase all the contents in your hard drive so make sure to make a backup of al your files and important data.

For this step, i encourage to follow the guide provided by Maximus, on the site Maxgeeks.

FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS EXACTLY AS THEY SAY, (ITS IMPORTANT TO DO EVERYTHING ESPECIALLY THE BACKUP OF YOUR RECOVERY PARTITION, IN CASE THAT ANYTHING GOES WRONG) I`M TELLING YOU BY EXPERIENCE THAT ALL THE STEPS ARE IMPORTANT AND THE ORDER TOO, EXCEPT BY THE ONES I`M NOW GONNA TELL YOU:

- IN THE GUIDE OF MAXIMUS, THE FIRST STEP ITS TO MAKE A BACKUP OF YOUR RECOVERY PARTITION WITH ASUS BACKTRACKER, BUT ALSO YOU NEED TO MAKE A BACKUP OF ALL YOUR WIN8 DRIVERS, ASUS BACKTRACKR PROVIDES AN OPTION FOR THIS AS WELL

- AFTER YOU CHANGE TO MBR YOUR HARD DRIVE DONT CREATE A FRESH PARTITION WITH ALL THE SPACE AVAILABLE, I RECOMMEND TO DO A 300GB PARTITION CAUSE ITS MORE THAN ENOUGH FOR WINDOWS 7, AFTER THAT, DONT CREATE ANY OTHER PARTITIONS, WE`LL DO THAT EVENTUALLY IN THE NEXT STEPS.
- WHEN YOU FIRST BOOT INTO WINDOWS 7, YOU WONT BE ABLE TO USE THE ETHERNET ADAPTER OR WIRELESS ADAPTER SO MAKE SURE TO DOWNLOAD NET FRAMEWORK 4.5.2 AND YOUR NETWORK ADAPTER DRIVER (WHO IS PROVIDED IN THE GUIDE OF MAXIMUS BUT HE SAYS THAT YOU DOWNLOAD THE DRIVERS LATER, AND THAT`S NOT VERY EASY CAUSE YOU NEED OTHER COMPUTER TO DO THAT, SO MAKE SURE TO DOWNLOAD THOSE BEFORE DOING ANYHING)

HERE`S THE LINK OF THE GUIDE

http://forum.maxgeeks.net/showthread.php?p=228

2. – CREATE ANOTHER PARTITION FOR WINDOWS 8 X64

be sure to make this step only after installing all the necessary drivers in win7, i encounter errors when doing the opposite.

Go to Start>Right Click My Computer>Manage

When the window opens select the DISK MANAGEMENT options in the left panel. This will show your current hard drive information with all the space that is available.

Right click on the availabe space and select NEW VOLUME, follow the instructions and créate a new volumen with 300gb of space .

When finish, restart the machine with your WINDOWS 8 INSTALLATION DVD OR USB INSERTED IN THE LAPTOP.

3.- INSTALLING WINDOWS 8 X64

this step is very simple, just follow the same procedure as installing win7. SELECTING THE NEW VOLUM CREATED BEFORE.

When done, install all the drivers with the ASUS DRIVER BACKTRACKER BACKUP you made.

Now you have dual boot of Windows 7 and Windows 8.

4.- CREATING A NEW PARTITION FOR PERSONAL DATA (300gb)

i recommend this since you are going to have THREE DIFFERENT OS`S in your laptop, and this new partition could work as a NEUTRAL ZONE, for all the music, videos, documents, etc. That you are going to use in the different OS`S
the steps are all the same as creating the partition for win8.

Lets resume…
So far you have: dual boot of win7 and win8, a hard drive with three partitions created (win7, win8 and neutral), and nearly 400gb of unallocated space in your hard drive, if its right lets proceed with the next step.

5.- INSTALLING UBUNTU 14.04

when in Windows 8, download the oficial iso of Ubuntu 14.04 from their page, and burn the files into a USB drive using UNETBOOTIN utility.

In the Ubuntu installation you will reach to the part were you créate the partition for the system, but also you need to créate a small one for the ROOT.

Since you have aproximatedly 400gb of space available, my suggestions its to créate a 10mb partition for the root, and use all the remaining space for the Ubuntu system,

Once you are in UBUNTU, you will notice that its imposible to acces the Windows 8 boot manager, this problem will be solved by restoring and updating the GRUB MANAGER, using a terminal in Ubuntu.

If you do it right, when you first boot your laptop, you`ll see the grub manager with an option to acces UBUNTU, AND THE WINDOWS 8 BOOT LOADER.

And that`s it friends, you now have a triple boot system with two Windows versions and Ubuntu (the best Linux distribution in my opinión).

SOME CONSIDERATIONS:

- THIS IS A VERY LIGHT GUIDE CAUSE ITS INTENDED FOR MEDIUM EXPERT USER, AS I MENTIONED FIRST, SO IF YOU DONT UNDERSTAND SOMETHING IN IT, DONT FOLLOW THE GUIDE CAUSE YOU MAY END UP SCREWING YOUR SYSTEM.
- IF IN THE MIDDLE OF ALL THE PROCEDURE YOU REALIZE THAT THE EFFORT ITS NOT WORTH JUST FOR HAVING A TRIPLE BOOT SYSTEM, USE YOUR RECOVERY PARTITION BACKUP DRIVE, WICH YOU CREATED AT THE BEGGINING, AND RESTORE YOUR SYSTEM.
- IN UBUNTU STEPS, I SKIP THE PART OF FINDING THE DRIVERS, CAUSE IN MY CASE I ONLY WANT TO INSTALL THE NVIDIA DRIVERS (THERES PLENTY OF GUIDES THAT SHOW HOW TO DO IT), IN UBUNTU I DONT USE THE USB CHARGE FEATURE, OR THE PAD GESTURES, OR ANYTHING SPECIAL THAT IS DESIGNED TO WORK WITH YOUR ORIGINAL WINDOWS 8 INSTALLATION, AND IT WORK TOO ON WIN7, BUT IN LINUX, FORGET IT.

THE IMPORTANT THING ABOUT SELECTING A SYSTEM:

NOW YOU HAVE A TRIPLE BOOT SYSTEM, SO… IT WILL BE VERY TRICKY TO ACCESS ONE OF THEM, SPECIALLY WINDOWS 7.

FOLLOW THIS METHOD:
- IF YOU WANT TO USE UBUNTU, JUST POWER ON YOUR MACHINE AND LEAVE THAT UNTIL YOU REACH THE LOGIN SCREEN.
- IF YOU WANT TO USE WINDOWS 8. AFTER YOU REACH THE GRUB MANAGER, SELECT WINDOWS 8 BOOT LOADER, AND THEN WAIT FOR THE LOADER TO APPEAR, SELECT WINDOWS 8 AND YOUR GOOD TO GO.
- IF YOU WANT TO USE WINDOWS 7, AFTER YOU REACH GRUB MANAGER, SELECT WINDOWS 8 BOOT LOADER, WAIT FOR THE LOADER TO APPEAR AND SELECT WINDOWS 7, NOW YOUR SYSTEM WILL REBOOT AND THE GRUB MANAGER WILL APPEAR AGAIN, DONT WORRY, JUST SELECT THE WINDOWS 8 BOOT LOADER AGAIN, AND NOW INSTEAD OF SHOWING THE W8 LOADER, WILL DIRECTLY BOOT INTO WINDOWS 7.

WHEN IN WINDOWS 8 Or WINDOWS 7 DONT USE THE SLEEP FEATURE UNLESS YOU ARE CONNECTED TO THE POWER ADAPTER, I DID IT SOMETIMES AND WHEN I WANT TO RESUME MY WORK THE LAPTOP JUST BOOT UP FROM THE BEGINNING.

THIS IS THE END OF THE GUIDE, BELIEVE ME AS I SAID THAT ITS MY FIRST GUIDE EVER MADE FOR A TRIPLE BOOT PROCEDURE, IF YOU THINK THAT ITS NOT VERY SPECIFIC, DONT USE IT, AND USE YOUR LAPTOP AS IT CAME.

AS I MENTIONED FIRST, THE GUIDE ITS FOR PEOPLE WHO LIKE TO TRY NEW SOFTWARE, OS`S AND MANY OTHER THINGS.

IF YOU WANT SUGGESTIONS ON HOW TO USE EACH SYSTEM, BE MY GUEST:
- WIN7: GAMES
- WIN8: WORKS, VIDEO AUDIO EDITING
- UBUNTU: MESSING AROUND 😄

SEE YOU LATER GUYS
4 REPLIES 4

Darnassus
Status Under Review
I haven't done this ( I just sit on 8 ) but thank you for this contribution. ;3

hi, thanks for this cool guide. Very easy to understand

Anyway, what I like to do is little different. I also have 750js (from Germany) with little different configuration. I got 2 drives (3 with blue ray). I have 256 SSD and 1,5 HDD.
Pre installed is win 8.1 home.

I want to install 2 OS.
1. Win 8.1 professional
2. Ubuntu 14.04

Both systems should be running on the SSD. When I boot up I'd like to choose via GRUB wether I want to boot Lonux or windows 8.1 prof.

Do you think this could be done using parts of this guide. I already downloaded all drivers for my laptop from asus-support website. I made a complete system backup using the windows native tool to create backups of your system. I saved other stuff needed later.

Do I REALLY a have to open my laptop case and disconnect the HDD? Should be possible without doing this I think.

Thanks for any help and for this guide, been searching for solutions quite a while. UEFI is crap, I don't like it. Can I turn on secure boot back again after installing everything properly? Will my system boot slower if I disable secure boot? Disable CSM again?

gentlemanspot
Level 7
good info

hmm ive been trying to install Mint Linux but i cant boot from the USB (i have made up and that i have tested, i used it to install another laptop)

can i ask whar bios setting you have enabled / disabled so i can match ?

i can get the grub loader to give me the install options then a blank screen

anyone else had this issue ? or got a fix ?

cheers Spot

gentlemanspot wrote:
good info

hmm ive been trying to install Mint Linux but i cant boot from the USB (i have made up and that i have tested, i used it to install another laptop)

can i ask whar bios setting you have enabled / disabled so i can match ?

i can get the grub loader to give me the install options then a blank screen

anyone else had this issue ? or got a fix ?

cheers Spot

hello gentlemanspot, sorry for my delay, you have to disable the secure boot, and the fast boot, but that is already done if you follow my guide step by step or are you trying to install ubuntu as the ONLY OS in your laptop?