cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX - Keyboard Backlight without ATK?

Retired
Not applicable
Hey all, I received my new G74SX-XT1 a few days ago and I'm absolutely loving the strong performance, excellent cooling and nifty features of the system.

One in particular I like is the keyboard backlight. However, I've always been a bit OCD when it comes to keeping my processes on Windows 7 in the mid to low 30s. I was a bit disappointed to see that the keyboard backlight is software controlled when it could easily be hardware controlled. I dislike using ATK drivers because they take up 5-6 processes and I usually used a single process application to control sound volume prior to this.

My question is, has anyone discovered a way to enable the keyboard backlighting without the ATK drivers? If not, is there any specific process in the ATK that controls the keyboard light? I am just looking for any way to eliminate or reduce the ATK clutter to reduce processes. Thanks for any help!
9 REPLIES 9

dstrakele
Level 14
If you remove the ATK Package, ALL Fn keys will cease to function, so any solution would have to include the other Fn key functions as well.

I'm curious - I can find only 2 processes and 1 driver associated with ATK. What am I missing?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Retired
Not applicable
dstrakele wrote:
If you remove the ATK Package, ALL Fn keys will cease to function, so any solution would have to include the other Fn key functions as well.

I'm curious - I can find only 2 processes and 1 driver associated with ATK. What am I missing?

Whenever I install the ATK I have these processes/services running along with it:

AsLdrSrv.exe (Service Related)
ATKOSD.exe
ATKOSD2.exe
HControl.exe
KBFiltr.exe

So 5 processes. I could just trial-and-error and see what keeps the ATK functioning, but perhaps a fellow guru knows for sure?

And yes, I'm unrealistically obsessed on keeping my processes low. I'm the neat-freak of the computer world. 😄

Well, if you want software to function properly, you're going to have to let it run the processes it needs.

I think you can nix the Asus KB filter and let Windows just use its own.

I think the OP is asking a good question here that I myself have a reason to wonder ...for example, those of us who use Linux will never be able to use the wonderful keyboard backlight unless a) ASUS releases ATK for Linux (or somebody writes a device driver for this), or b) there is a hardware/BIOS way of turning that on?

Does anyone know of a way?
--
G74SX-CST1-CBIL, i7 2630QM 2GHz
32GB DDR3 RAM @1333MHz
GTX560M 3GB DDR5 (192 bit)
17.3" LED 1920x1080
Sentelic TP, BIOS 203
Debian Linux Wheezy (Testing) Kernel 3.2, NVIDIA 295.40

Yahooligan
Level 7
I guess I'm also confused, why the arbitrary number of processes that you want running max? Sure, I get that nobody wants bloat, but let's be realistic here. You've got an awesome CPU and gobs of memory, I think you're making an issue where none exists. And, for what it's worth, I also only see 2 processes related to ATK.

If we're going to get nuts about the number of processes, Chrome has 14 in my process list and I only have 7 tabs. That's nearly halfway to your 30 process "limit" from one app.

You may want to re-evaluate things. I care more about what is actually running, not how many processes there are. Just sayin'... 🙂
--
Yahooligan
ASUS G74SX-XR1 :cool:

JRd1st
Level 12
As he said, he's OCD about it. That kind of thing often only makes sense to the person experiencing it. It has nothing to do with logic.:shrug:
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

BrodyBoy
Level 10
I don't think the OP was asking anything about Linux or alternate drivers.

As for your separate question, I guess that's just one of the trade-offs when you run an alternate OS....seems there are always going to be some features unavailable until somebody writes a driver.

I also don't like having extra processes like the OP. Yesterday, I reinstalled Windows 8 on my G74. I didn't install the ATK Package, thus the keyboard backlight didn't work. However, I turned my computer on today and the backlight is working! The light is dimmer than with the max setting on the ATK Package and the function keys don't work, but the backlight is working as of right now. Did the backlight work for anyone else who didn't install the ATK Package? And, if so, for how long did it work?

Alright... This post is old as hell but your the first result in Google with «*asus backlight without atk*»

So here a solution :

WORK ONLY WITH WINDOWS x64 bits !!

— 1 ———————————————————————————————————————————————
Download the package here :
http://s000.tinyupload.com/?file_id=62997842885044561806
And extract it where you want.

— 2 ———————————————————————————————————————————————

Copy BackLight folder and its contents to «*C:\Program Files (x86)*»

So you must have something like :
«*C:\Program Files (x86)\BackLight\*»
with the 4 files in it:

BackLightDrv.sys
BackLightSrv.exe
Hcontrol.exe
Inputhook.dll

— 3 ———————————————————————————————————————————————

Use «*srvman.exe*» include in the package to create one service and one driver

To do this use «*add service*» at the bottom left of srvman.exe to create exactly the same :
» Service like BackLightSrv.png picture
» Driver like BackLightDrv.png picture

Note : You can change «*Internal service name*» (ONLY letters, no space, no special caracters)
Note2 : You can change «*User-visible name*» at your convenience.

— 4 ———————————————————————————————————————————————

Execute the BackLight.reg to add some feature at the registry.

Note : You can change the value of «*TurnOffKeybdLight*» in this reg file about how many seconds to wait before switch off backlight keyboard without activity.
Unity : seconds.
NO LESS THAN 30 décimal (=1e hexa) seconds or backlight will not switch off !!

30 seconds : "TurnOffKeybdLight"=dword:0000001e
45 seconds : "TurnOffKeybdLight"=dword:0000002d
60 seconds : "TurnOffKeybdLight"=dword:0000003c

http://www.binaryhexconverter.com/decimal-to-hex-converter

— 5 ———————————————————————————————————————————————

ReBoot. Enjoy.

You can delete your download. Keep only «*C:\Program Files (x86)\BackLight\*» with the 4 files:

BackLightDrv.sys (driver, the same as original «*Atkwmiacpi64.sys*» from ATK WMIACPI)
BackLightSrv.exe (service, the same as original «*Asldrsrv.exe*» from ATK Hotkey)
Hcontrol.exe (control less or more light / FN + F3 and FN + F4 from ATK Hotkey)
Inputhook.dll (detect when keyboard come back to activity from ATK Hotkey)
and few registry keys.