Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hello! Questions!

Retired
Not applicable
Hey guys!
I read through a bunch of threads but I'm completely lost ^^
I just got my Asus G74SX-XA1 today.
And I was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction regarding updates..
Sorry ^^ I'm new to the Asus family.
Any help would be awesome!
Thanks in advance!

o//PineBerries.
14 REPLIES 14

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

What updates are you wondering about ? You can use Windows Updater, and Asus Live Update.
That should cover some of the updates to your computer 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

If the pixel is dead, it's not fixable. Sometimes stuck pixels clear up on their own, but don't count on it.

I'd say return it and get a different one. Amazon returns make it incredibly easy.

JRd1st
Level 12
I have pretty much the same system. Look in my sig for my current drivers. Plus look here http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?5126-Any-Kind-of-Lag-and-Atheros-WiFi-Card

BTW uninstall ASUS live update. It's useless.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st wrote:
BTW uninstall ASUS live update. It's useless.

Worse than useless.....it's bad, glitchy software. Uninstalling it should be high on every user's To-Do List.

Retired
Not applicable
Alright thanks ^^
I'll be sure to remove that.
Should I do a clean install of windows 7? Everyone says its a must do..

and By "updates" pretty much what JRd1st said ^^
I was just curious if there was any specific order I should start. ^^

Thanks guys!

o//PineBerries.

dstrakele
Level 14
JRd1st wrote:
There's another new Atheros WiFi driver - 9.2.1.459 Don't know what's different but if someone wants to try it let us know how well it works. 😄

And as JRd1st usually points out, updating the stock Atheros Wireless Adapter driver is one of the most critical updates. The stock driver is responsible for more issues than you would believe because of its high DPC Latency.

I also recommend configuring Windows Update to let you choose which updates to download and install. Microsoft updates can occasionally cause problems on some systems, even if they don't encounter problems on installation. If Windows Update installs them automatically, you may never know what change caused the problem on your system.

I typically install the Security updates immediately, but read the KB articles to determine if I'm experiencing the issues other critical updates are supposed to fix. If I haven't observed those issues, then I don't install the update. Knowing when you installed Microsoft updates can make it easier to restore your system to an earlier time.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
Doesn't matter what order you do updates, but if you do a clean install you have to install the Chipset drivers first, after you install windows.

You don't sound ready to do a clean install. Familiarize yourself with everything, then do some research. 😉

Here's a start with your research.
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the info ^^
I'll be sure to look into it.

Do you guys recommend me installing/removing anything else (besides the one you guys already mentioned)
o//PineBerries.

dstrakele
Level 14
Here is a useful guide of ASUS pre-installed applications: http://forum.notebookreview.com/asus/380681-asus-utility-bloatware-guide.html
It can help you determine which apps you want to uninstall.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT