cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Broken HDD? (Asus G750JX)

ultimate2368
Level 7
Hi,

I have a problem seems like. One day, I started up my G750JX and I was shocked. Win 8.1 started to boot as usuall and as I use SSD (250gb EVO) as my OS drive it usually boots in few seconds. BUT It didn't boot even in minute. Win was loading and loading and second data HDD was spinning in intervals. That is the default HDD that was insine when I bought it (750gb WD black). I tried to remove that HDD and on SSD the system boot up normally. After I will plug in that second HDD in while the OS is running and check it in device manager it shows up with it's name, BUT in the computer I cant see free space, name anything. I cant acces it and anything, after I'll unplug it everything is working as it should.

Here I am adding a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5EWmKRDhSnM&list=UU1VMWytYrEenbUZUo5WEKlQ (dont mind the quality and anything, thanks)

What shoudl I do, guys? 😄
8 REPLIES 8

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Go into BIOS and re-order the boot sequence. It seems your HDD is the first to be booted, then the SSD is second. You will need to re-order it so the SSD is first, and the HDD is second or last.

As long as the SSD is before the HDD, it will boot.

My order is:

USB
CD
SSD
HDD

If you plug in both discs, I believe you can turn on the computer, then hold down ESC and you will be given the choice of what you want to boot from.

Look for tutorials somewhere about how to change your boot order.

That one is checked....That was the first thing I did. That is not the problem as the windows got loaded from SSD (loading screen).

EDIT: + it is non-accessable in the loaded OS

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Maybe it has a write error? ':f

If you can find yourself a program that formats discs in DOS, (something that boots off a USB, like Darik's Boot and Nuke) then maybe you can pull out the SSD, put in the HDD alone and format it. Or even just have the HDD in the G750 and install a random version of Windows on it, just so it writes something new to the disk. Once it's running, it should work without fail after. That's what I always do anyway. (The formatting part first of course.)

By the way, Darik's Boot and Nuke is a low level formatter, if you're going to use it, do a 'quick' method, so it only does 1 pass. It'll take around 10-20 mins to do ( I think ).

Thanks alot! I'll give that a try!

ultimate2368
Level 7
Well, this poped up. http://www.imagehosting.cz/images/dsc012omo.jpg

EDIT: I cant see it in the running OS after plug-in no more.
EDIT 2: I tried to install Windows XP on that HDD. I got BSOD after finishing pre-install things...

ultimate2368
Level 7
Problem solved - Faulty sectors on HDD, replaced.

gazzacbr
Level 10
@ultimate2368: thanks for reporting back. was the hdd still under warranty and how did you get it replaced?
Asus G750JX-CV050H||GTX770M||24GB ram||120hz 3D screen||
1TB Samsung 840 EVO SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD||500GB Crucial M4 SSD in DVD Bay
free bag and mouse :cool:
win 8.1||win 7||win xp||server 2008||os x mavericks||linux mint 16

Well, laptop was 8 months old, so ya, It was under warranty. The repair took 5 days in total. I broke the battery release button before, so they just replaced the whole case. And about hdd, I got new WD black with installed win.