Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Lenovo Thinkpad T410
    MotherboardASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    Memory (part number)BLE2KIT8G3D1869DE1TX0 (8-8-8-24, 1866 MHz)
    Graphics Card #1ASUS R9 390 STRIX (OC, GAMING)
    Storage #1SG Constellation 6 TB (6x1 TB) RAID 0
    Storage #2SG Constellation 2 TB (2x2 TB) RAID 1
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1500i
    Keyboard Microsoft Sidewinder X4
    Mouse Microsoft Sidewinder X5
    Headset Logitech G930
    Mouse Pad Perixx 900x440x3 mm + Steelseries 320x270x3 mm + ALLSOP hard pad
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G930/Altec Lansing 5.1
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro (64 bit)

Quote Originally Posted by Baio73 View Post
    3. do you mean I have to connect BOTH 8pin AND 4pin sockets on the mobo?
    I knew that for AMD-based systems the 8 pin connector wasthe only one to plug in.
    With HX50 PSU I only have 1 cable that fits.
    If you live in the United States, then send your address in a PM and I will mail to you the necessary adapter - it's good to have one on hand anyway.

I think it is very possible that the MB is just shot, but we should exhaust other possibilities first.

>>To anyone more experienced than I: could a BIOS flash from USB be a good idea on principle? I know that older BIOS don't support some newer CPUs

Also, Dertester made an interesting point - how are you cooling the CPU? Is it possible that your cooler is mounted too tight and flexing the board?

Z
    Resistance is futile (at <1 Ohm).

ROG Enthusiast Array

4. one stick in which slot? The black one nearest to the socket?
    Baio
    Its in the manual. BTW a good read the double-check for erros you maybe wont think of.

Basically: Red ones first and i would take the number 1. I think its labeled on the board A1/A2 (Red) B1/B2 (black)

But its a quick check, just to switch to another slot.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Baio73 PC Specs
    Baio73 PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula BIOS 3402
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen 3900XT
    Memory (part number)2x8 Corsair 4000C19D
    Graphics Card #1Sapphire RX 5700XT
    MonitorLG 34GK950F
    Storage #1Samsung 980PRO 512Gb NVMe
    Storage #2WD Black SN850 2Tb NVMe
    CPU CoolerCorsair H150i Elite Capellix
    CaseLian Li 011D XL
    Power SupplyCorsair AX860i
    Keyboard Logitech G513
    Mouse Logitech G903 + Powerplay
    Headset G933 Artemis Spectrum
    Mouse Pad Corsair MM 700 RGB
    Headset/Speakers Logitech G560
    OS Windows 10 64bit
    Network RouterLynksys EA6500
    Accessory #1 Corsair Commander Pro
    Accessory #2 10xCorsair QL120 RGB fan

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zchivago View Post
    If you live in the United States, then send your address in a PM and I will mail to you the necessary adapter - it's good to have one on hand anyway.

I think it is very possible that the MB is just shot, but we should exhaust other possibilities first.

>>To anyone more experienced than I: could a BIOS flash from USB be a good idea on principle? I know that older BIOS don't support some newer CPUs

Also, Dertester made an interesting point - how are you cooling the CPU? Is it possible that your cooler is mounted too tight and flexing the board?

Z
    I thank you very much, but unfortunately I live in Europe (Italy). But the doubt is still there... is this mobo supposed to need BOTH the connectors plugged? It would be vey surprising to me, as the first time I used only the 8pin connector for sure.

With the first mobo, when I saw the "FF" code, I was sure it was gone... but this "56" code Leaves some hopes... maybe a BIOS flash would help. I'm not sure if this mobo is the one I rmaed or not, if it's so, it already has the newest release, as I flashed it a couple of months ago.

Regarding the cooling system... I'm using a Noctua DH-14, but in the latest tries out of the case I have not screwed it, but just left it on the CPU... a few seconds to read the Q-Code display won't ruin the CPU for sure.

Baio

Baio73 PC Specs
    MonitorLG 34GK950F
    CaseLian Li 011D XL
    Keyboard Logitech G513
    OS Windows 10 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by dertester View Post
    Its in the manual. BTW a good read the double-check for erros you maybe wont think of.

Basically: Red ones first and i would take the number 1. I think its labeled on the board A1/A2 (Red) B1/B2 (black)

But its a quick check, just to switch to another slot.
    I know I know... I've read the manual so many times I can declamate it by mind...
    I was asking because MeanMachine didn't specify it and I intended to leave no doubt.
    Besides I have already tried all the four slots to see if something changed...

About double checking, it's a good advice for sure... but I've been mounting mobo for 20 years and more, I'm quite sure of what to do. But this CVF-Z is leaving me without words... never seen such a cray mobo before. Maybe just a DFI was so problematic. And the 'sister' CVF madeno problem for months...

Baio

Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Headset Logitech G930

is this mobo supposed to need BOTH the connectors plugged? It would be vey surprising to me, as the first time I used only the 8pin connector for sure.
    As you can see in my signature, I am using the same board, and I built this machine a year ago. I have always had both the 8-pin and 4-pin connectors populated, so I don't know. I do know that with the CPU I am currently using, the 4-pin is necessary; and, the 9590 is just a factory OCed 8350, as I understand it, so you might need both. I was told that the 8320 that I used when I built this computer didn't need the 4-pin, but I used it anyway because I OCed up to 5.2 GHz.

Just food for thought.

About the BIOS, and this is more a question to MeanMachine, is it possible for a BIOS to become corrupt and cause this, or even the chip to go bad? What about a weak/dead CMOS battery?

Z

Edit: To extend the BIOS question: I know that the BIOS chip on these boards can be removed; can it be installed backwards, and would that cause any problems?
    Last edited by Dr. Zchivago; 10-08-2014 at 03:27 PM.

Baio73 PC Specs
    MonitorLG 34GK950F
    CaseLian Li 011D XL
    Keyboard Logitech G513
    OS Windows 10 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Zchivago View Post
    As you can see in my signature, I am using the same board, and I built this machine a year ago. I have always had both the 8-pin and 4-pin connectors populated, so I don't know. I do know that with the CPU I am currently using, the 4-pin is necessary; and, the 9590 is just a factory OCed 8350, as I understand it, so you might need both. I was told that the 8320 that I used when I built this computer didn't need the 4-pin, but I used it anyway because I OCed up to 5.2 GHz.

Just food for thought.

About the BIOS, and this is more a question to MeanMachine, is it possible for a BIOS to become corrupt and cause this, or even the chip to go bad? What about a weak/dead CMOS battery?

Z

Edit: To extend the BIOS question: I know that the BIOS chip on these boards can be removed; can it be installed backwards, and would that cause any problems?
    Hi, never mind... finally the story has come to an end.
    I found a 4pin-PCIEX adaptor and tried to connect it... the mobo stucked on F.F. and smelt burned.
    Now it gets power form the PSU (the red lights turn on) but it does not power on.
    I'm so disappointed with this CVF-Z that I'm planning to ask the vendor not to replace it for the second time but to give me some bonus for future upgrades...

Baio

Dr. Zchivago PC Specs
    ProcessorAMD FX 9590
    CPU CoolerNoctua NH-D15
    CaseCaseLabs STH-10
    Headset Logitech G930

Dang, that's a shame. I hope your future encounters are less troublesome, because I absolutely love this motherboard, and I'm thankful I've never encountered any of the issues that people have asked about here.

Good luck!

Z

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array MeanMachine PC Specs
    MeanMachine PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)I enjoy my wife
    MotherboardCVI HERO + CVII Hero Wifi
    ProcessorRyzen 7 1800X + 2700X
    Memory (part number)CMD16GX4M2B3000C15 + F4-3200C14D-16GTZR
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX980 SC for CVFZ
    Graphics Card #2EVGA GTX 1080 hybrid
    Graphics Card #3GTX 770 for phys x
    Sound CardMB
    MonitorHP w2408h
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2
    Storage #2Samsung 840EVO 500GB and 960 M.2 pro
    CPU CoolerCorsair H105, H110 and H115i
    CaseCorsair 750D and 780T
    Power SupplyCorsair AX-1200i and Antec 850 pro platinum
    Keyboard Logitech K800
    Mouse Razer Mamba
    Headset Corsair Vengeance 2100
    OS W7 Ultimate 64bit and W10 pro 64bit
    Network RouterNetcom Wireless NF18ACV

Hi Baio73
    So sorry to here it was indeed the MB but don't give up on it.
    I would demand a replacement board if you sent the unit back and it was returned without repair.

The CVFZ is indeed the best AMD board on the market imo and some of the problems you have are your own doing.
    Never power up a system without adequate cooling to the CPU, You run a great risk and void your warranty.

Your Noctua DH-14 is a great quality cooler, however it will not provide the necessary cooling required for the FX- 8350 especially if you want to OC.
    I have read and responded to many threads regarding this issue and have as yet to find, one successful build using an air cooling solution, that has not failed under sustained load.
    Although the FX-8350 has a lesser TDP draw than the FX-9590, You should never the less utilize the extra 4pin socket, as the CPU will require the extra power if demanded, and it will for stability.
    Your PSU cabling should have come with extra 8pin cables that can be used for the 4pin socket. Simply separate the 8pin plug that will come apart and tie the other portion back.

To answer Dr. Zchivago regarding the 9590 being a factory over-clocked 8350.
    I got this from an AMD rep.
    Yes,I suppose the architecture is the same, but that doesn't tell the whole story. Each 8350 chip has been specially selected and binned with a stronger voltage regulator and stronger IMC guaranteed to run stable @4.7GHz stock and 5.0GHz turbo.

Also:
    Yes a corrupt Bios can and will show symptoms as we have seen here, and a dead or dying CMOS battery would prevent post and can provide instability even after a successful boot. Chips are most susceptible to heat. I have never attempted a Bios chip replacement, so I don't know if you can backwards install, Maybe! if you don't know what you are doing.

Thanks to all you guys for your contribution. I learned a lot today!
    We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
    CPU:
    AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

ROG Enthusiast Array

@MM
    The Noctua will provide more than enough cooling for a 8350 even Oc´d and is in many tests even better than a few AIO Water cooling solutions.

@all
    Im running my old Phenom @ 3.9 atm and guess its approx. 180W (wall plug power meter).
    Im only using the 8-Pin and it works fine. I dont think the additional 4pin powers different hardware but spreads the load on more lines so that temperature and resistance stays low at these currents.

@Baio73
    Im still wondering, if you maybe shorted something against your case Saw this once where someone welded the mainboard to the case because he used short spacers

Would be nice if you could have a close look and smelltest what burned . And of course sorry for your loss. I guess these extreme boards are *****y..

@all
    The VRM heatsing is only mounted with thermalpads if i saw it right. Has somebody tried to replace with thermal paste?
    Not sure if this will work or not because of the wide area where a little bend in the board could lift the heatsink. The pads are more flexible when it comes to little movements...

Baio73 PC Specs
    MonitorLG 34GK950F
    CaseLian Li 011D XL
    Keyboard Logitech G513
    OS Windows 10 64bit

Hi to everyone,
    I've just written to the vendor, let's see what comes along.

I dont' think that something has shorted as the mobo was out of the case, leaned on its box. The Noctua was not mounted but in contact with the CPU... it's something I've been doing for ages.
    The mobo has in its back a clearly burned line, that's all. And it still gets power from the PSU (red lights on the left of the backpanel light on), though it does not power up the Q-Code display.

@MM
    What sounds strange to me is that when I built my pc in July with the first CVF-Z (and then the mobo worked right for a couple of hours before getting stucked on FF) I didn't plug the 4pin connector, and at that time I used the same CPU I'm using today. Besides in this moment I'm using an FX-8350 with a CVF with only the 8pin plugged in.

Thanks to each of you guys for your support!

Baio

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2