cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I cannot believe it!! Second bugged CVF-Z

Baio73
Level 8
I' ve just received my second CrosshairV Formula Z (I had to rma the first because of the famous"FF" Q-Code bug)... just finished to put evertyhing into the case, started and... "PS" (or "P5") error!!!!
So I started to remove one component at a time, nothing changes. I finished with just the mobo out of the case, CPU, PSU and nothing else... the error is still there.
I thought that "PS"could stand for PSU (as for FF there is no mention in the manual), so I switched to another one surely working, no change.
I'm not going to write down my full config, as the problem is still present, with hardware or without it. Also tried 2 different CPU's (X6 1090T and FX 8350) with no luck.

I can't find any trace over the internet of this bug, please tell me that there is something I can do to make this dammed mobo work, as it's the most expensive AMD mobo and it functioned for a couple of hours (the first one, second not a single minute!)
mad:

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100
19 REPLIES 19

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Baio73 and sorry to here your misfortune.
Was the MB replaced with a new one or returned to you repaired? If it was indeed a replacement board, then that is indeed bad luck.
I have never heard of PS or P5 error either. From where and when does this error reveal itself?
Have you determined that your PSU is not at Fault? List specs.
Please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Baio73
Level 8
Hi MeanMachine and thanks again for your support.
I cannot be sure if the mobo I receveid back is the the one I have rmaed, for sure it's not a brand new one, as it had some dust on.
This morning I was doing some new tries with different RAM and got this sequence of codes: F.F. - 10 - F.F. and then the DRAM led blinks for a while and the mobo powers off.
This are the components I'm using for testing:

CPU: AMD X6 1090T - AMD FX 8350
RAM: G.Skill Trident F3-2133C9D 8Gb - Mushkin Redline 996996 4Gb - Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1333 2Gb
PSU: Corsair HX850 - Corsair AXi860

Obviously all components are100% functioning with my previous Crosshair V Formula (attention: NOT THE "Z" MODEL).The AXi PSU has also a self-test button for testing, you know this for sure as you have the bigger one in your rig.

One question:how do you read the Q-Code display? I mean, you put the mobo in vertical position with the display in the upper side or the other way down? I'm asking it beacause I thought the code could be "56" instead of "PS".

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Baio73 wrote:
One question:how do you read the Q-Code display? I mean, you put the mobo in vertical position with the display in the upper side or the other way down? I'm asking it beacause I thought the code could be "56" instead of "PS".

Q-Code LED display needs to be in upper right-hand corner, and "56" is the error code for invalid CPU type or speed.

Below is a link to the manual for that motherboard.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/Crosshair_V_Formula_Z/E7477_Crosshair_V_Formula-Z.pdf

Z

Dr. Zchivago wrote:
Q-Code LED display needs to be in upper right-hand corner, and "56" is the error code for invalid CPU type or speed.

Below is a link to the manual for that motherboard.

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/Crosshair_V_Formula_Z/E7477_Crosshair_V_Formula-Z.pdf

Z

Thanks Dr. Zchivago for your replay.
If the Q-Code LED Display is meant to be read the way you state, I read the "5" but the "6" is turned the other way round (like an upsidedown "9")... I'll try to make a photo as soon as possible.
So, if that is the problem, why the CPU works fine in the CVF and gives the error with the CV5-Z? I tried many times to reset the BIOS, I think the mobo now should recognize the CPU correctly, don't you think?

Baio

Nate152
Hello Baio73

How does it go if you take out the Mushkin redline and crucial ballistix ram? You don't want to be mixing ram kits like that.

Nate152 wrote:
Hello Baio73

How does it go if you take out the Mushkin redline and crucial ballistix ram? You don't want to be mixing ram kits like that.

Hello Nate152 and thank you too for your replay.
I'm not mixing different brands of RAM toghether, I'm just testing one stick per time to see if something changes in the Q-Codes.
The Crucial were old sticks (2x2Gb), Mushkin (2x4Gb) are the RAM I've been using for months untill yesterday and G.Skill (2x8Gb) are the new ones I bought toghether with the AXi PSU.

I wonder who can know what this damned "PS" error code stands for... I don't see the point in putting an error display onboard if one cannot interpretate what it says!

Baio

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Baio73, As you have the MB outside the case I would undertake and re check these possibilities prior to assy.

If indeed it is QCode 56
1. Carefully inspect your Cpu for bent pins or contaminated socket and reaply thermal paste using the pea method.
2. Make sure you tighten the hold down bracket screws evenly and not too tight.
3. Populate both 8 and 4pin sockets and ensure 24pin is jiggled in tight.
4. Just have one stick of RAM in first DIMM socket initially for post.

With your PSU and DIMMs known to be good it should post even with nothing else connected, and if not and you feel the MB after RMA was returned to you,( in an as was condition) you will need to determine that the MB is indeed the culprit.

With nothing else connected,see where your Qcode takes you before adding in other peripherals.

Lets get to the bottom of this!
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi Baio73, As you have the MB outside the case I would undertake and re check these possibilities prior to assy.

If indeed it is QCode 56
1. Carefully inspect your Cpu for bent pins or contaminated socket and reaply thermal paste using the pea method.
2. Make sure you tighten the hold down bracket screws evenly and not too tight.
3. Populate both 8 and 4pin sockets and ensure 24pin is jiggled in tight.
4. Just have one stick of RAM in first DIMM socket initially for post.

With your PSU and DIMMs known to be good it should post even with nothing else connected, and if not and you feel the MB after RMA was returned to you,( in an as was condition) you will need to determine that the MB is indeed the culprit.

With nothing else connected,see where your Qcode takes you before adding in other peripherals.

Lets get to the bottom of this!

3. do you mean I have to connect BOTH 8pin AND 4pin sockets on the mobo?
I knew that for AMD-based systems the 8 pin connector wasthe only one to plug in.
With HX50 PSU I only have 1 cable that fits.

4. one stick in which slot? The black one nearest to the socket?

Baio

Baio73 wrote:
3. do you mean I have to connect BOTH 8pin AND 4pin sockets on the mobo?
I knew that for AMD-based systems the 8 pin connector wasthe only one to plug in.
With HX50 PSU I only have 1 cable that fits.

If you live in the United States, then send your address in a PM and I will mail to you the necessary adapter - it's good to have one on hand anyway.

I think it is very possible that the MB is just shot, but we should exhaust other possibilities first.

>>To anyone more experienced than I: could a BIOS flash from USB be a good idea on principle? I know that older BIOS don't support some newer CPUs

Also, Dertester made an interesting point - how are you cooling the CPU? Is it possible that your cooler is mounted too tight and flexing the board?

Z