cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange voltage behavior CHVF-Z and 9590

blppt
Level 7
This has been an issue with every BIOS I've had---even the latest (2101?).

Basically, I have been trying to get this 9590 stable with a very, very mild overclock to 5ghz constant since the day I got it.

It seems pretty stable now (~5.0), but here's the odd thing:

When I MANUALLY set the vcore to the ~1.53-~1.57 range (tried all three) I can never, ever get the system to be stable.

When I set it to auto, the system is stable, but when I look in CPU-Z in windows, the Vcore under load is in that range (1.53-1.57).

Also, further confounding me---if I put the cpu at its stock setting (4.7) the system *should* be stable with a fixed vcore of 1.475 or so (turbo off in any of these cases, BTW), right? And yet, if I dont leave the vcore at "Auto" the system just wont be stable.

Of note: To get this cpu stable at the stock factory settings (either 4.7/5.0 turbo or 4.7 constant, no turbo) I had to manually go into the DIGI+ power control menu and change settings there. It just seems to me that for a board that seems MADE for the special 9590 cpu, and one of the most recommended, that ASUS would have a BIOS capable of running the cpu stable at stock speeds without having to fine-tune enthusiast overclocking settings.

BTW, the settings I changed in the DIGI+ menu, for those who are having trouble stabilizing 9590 at stock speeds are as follows:

CPU Current Capability = 130%
CPU Power Phase Control = Extreme (disables phase shedding)
CPU Power Switching Frequency = Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode = 300kHz
CPU Power Duty Control = Extreme
CPU Power Response Control = Medium
CPU Power Thermal Control = 130
VRM Over Temperature Protection = Enabled

Edit: Forgot to add-- Load Line is set to Regular (0%)--this one seems to be very important.

Used these as recommended in this thread, and it works.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1496284/huge-issues-with-9590-and-stability/10
11 REPLIES 11

chrsplmr
Level 18
What are the specs of your machine ?
Have you used hwmonitor to check all your voltages ?
How about your PSU ? .c.

PSU is a EVGA 1300G2. Shouldnt the Vcore setting only affect the Vcore, and not any other voltage?

(i.e. if I set it to Auto, or a fixed setting, it shouldnt affect any other voltage, right?)

Edit: Not sure if it matters, but the vidcard is a 290x and the memory is (4) 4GB KIngston Hyper-X DDR3-1600 @ 1.65V (total 16GB).

dertester
Level 7
About your Voltages:
that 1.x V for the cpu are transformed from the 12V rail of your psw.
If you see that your 12V rail or even the others are unstable (below 11.4V is out of spec) than its maybe a psu problem.

Even if you psu has 1300W you have to check what each rail can support. Maybe you can combine them (be careful) or mix the cables in a good way.

For example my psu (BQ 530) has 2 12V rails with the following cables attached:

12V1(yellow)
PCI-E 1
MAIN 24P
PATA
SATA
FLOPPY

12V2(yellow/blue)
CPU
PCI-E 2

Each Rail only supports in my case 264W so if plugged everything on one rail, my system would just crash/shutdown.

About your Memory:
In general that cpu is more or less the max. clock without extreme cooling. Maybe its not your fault its not stable.
I would try only 2 Ram sticks and if its better i would also play with ram timings and IMC Voltage. Could be that it gets unstable at higher clocks.

About your Auto-Setting:
On 2 other boards (MSI and Asrock) is saw that auto sometimes for short periods gave even more voltage than defined in auto mode. Maybe this little boost helps keeping it stable. Where is the Problem letting it run on auto? Do you still have QnQ activatet? Maybe your lower powerstates are unstable, you should check voltages at these also (its hard when they are only active for short times) Not sureif you can still force States with K10Stat after PhenomII times..

Interesting...my guess is that you are right and that Auto does allow for spikes above what i saw (max 1.57 or so). But, the interesting thing is that a CPU that *should* be stable stock at 4.7 (no turbo) at 1.475 is not stable when you set that manually instead of "auto".

As for heat, I'm thinking of upgrading my case to something that will allow for one of those extra large radiators like the H110---right now I would not be able to fit such a large rad in my Bitfenix Outlaw (i use the outlet next to the CPU, not the top vents, which have fans on them). The stock water cooler is definitely right on the edge of being inadequate for the 9590 at stock speeds.

I'm pretty sure it isnt a PSU problem---i've had both a Corsair TX850 in there and now the new EVGA 1300G2, and unless I was using too much on one 12V rail on both PSUs (possible, I suppose) that would seem to rule that out. I made sure that the 290x is on GPU1 and 2 separate for the 2 connectors, so not all of its peak power draw is likely on the 12V CPU out. Plus, my 1300G2 has a separate cable for the 4 pin extra power socket needed for the 9590.

I guess its possible that the GPU 1/2 sockets are on the same rail---i'll have to check when I get home--it seems unlikely though.

As for the RAM, I at one time had 2 sticks of 8GB DDR3-1866 AMD Radeon (rebranded Patriot?) memory in there at one time before I bought 2 more and put those in my Intel/Nvidia box for 32GB, but if memory serves, the issues were the same then too. I've run the ram at its stock (non-XMP), 1.5V settings (1333) to rule that out as well.

I never leave CnQ on when either running 4.7 constant or 5.0.---set to Always Disabled. The only things on that page that remain enabled are C6 State and SVM (Virtualization), and APM master mode is set to auto. Without C6, power consumption at idle is ridiculously high, so that has to stay on.

Thanks for the help!

blppt
Level 7
No go on the 5.0 stable---after about an hour of Watch Dogs the game consistently freezes with either Auto or ~1.575 voltage setting. Whereas at the 4.7 setting, I can leave the game on all night with Aiden just standing on a corner with no crashes.

I really give up---this CPU must be pretty much tapped out with the factory overclock (4.7 vs 4.0)---to go higher than 1.575 is too much for the stock water cooler to handle, and I'm still not sure if I'd ever get the cpu stable north of 1.575 anyways, new cooler or not.

The thing that still bothers me is how flaky this BIOS is---or maybe the AMD chipset itself is to blame. It is my understanding that with C6 state enabled, the cpu should throttle all cores to ~1400mhz/0.888V, but the only time I am able to do that is if I enable CnQ and C1E in the BIOS, which are disabled by default. And the odd behaviour of the readouts I get from CoreTemp with just C6 enabled shows that only one out of the 8 cores actually throttles to 1.4, the rest stay at 4.7, and the Vcore stays north of 1.5. With CnQ and C1E enabled, all cores drop to 1.4/0.888 at idle.

And to further confuse everybody, the power readout from my UPS shows that the CPU *is* throttling down when idle, despite that odd CoreTemp showing. Though---with CnQ/C1E enabled, the system draws roughly 15-20W less at idle than with both disabled. But the C6 alone is definitely doing *some* throttling---if you disable it, the power consumption jumps roughly 70-80W at idle from just the C6 enabled.

Contrast that to my Intel setups, one is a ASUS UEFI Z68/2600K (P8Z68-V) which acts exactly as it is supposed to, and a Gigabyte Z77/3770K (g1 Sniper m3) which also works perfectly.

And yes, my Windows power schemes allow for a 5%-100% cpu operating range, so its not that.

chrsplmr
Level 18
Did you use hwMonitor or some such program to see what your PSU is producing ? 12v/5v ?
And what's happening under load ? or did I miss that ? .c.

12V was well within spec, just north of +12V (like 12.034 or something)

I forgot to check the 5V.

Edit: I used OpenHardWareMonitor and the latest ASUS Probe.

DJ_Bucho
Level 7
I'm having a similar problem to you mate, although currently can't even get my system to run stable at all, even at it's default speed of 4.7ghz (Turbo enabled or disabled doesn't seem to make a difference either).

Am I right in saying that even to get your CPU running at it's stock speed of 4.7ghz you had to do the following changes in the BIOS?

blppt wrote:

BTW, the settings I changed in the DIGI+ menu, for those who are having trouble stabilizing 9590 at stock speeds are as follows:

CPU Current Capability = 130%
CPU Power Phase Control = Extreme (disables phase shedding)
CPU Power Switching Frequency = Manual
VRM Fixed Frequency Mode = 300kHz
CPU Power Duty Control = Extreme
CPU Power Response Control = Medium
CPU Power Thermal Control = 130
VRM Over Temperature Protection = Enabled
Load Line is set to Regular (0%)--this one seems to be very important.

What other settings did you change? And did you leave the Turbo mode on 'Auto'. What I'd like is to get this CPU running as it should, 4.7ghz standard and then boosting to 5.0ghz when needed, at the moment though, that seems a very long way off 😞
Please could you let me know what settings you've changed, maybe even some BIOS screenshots if you wouldn't mind, as I'm pulling my hair out at the minute and I've not got much to start with, lol.

I turned off turbo core---for some strange reason, my Geekbench and Cinebench scores (multi-core) went UP with turbo disabled, and the system running at 4.7 constant. Now, with all 8 cores loaded, the 9590 *should* clock down to no lower than 4.7 with turbo enabled, and get the benefit of the 5.0ghz during light loads (1-4 cores, IIRC), but this is not the case as I have found.

If I limit Cinebench to 1 core load, it will show a very slightly higher score with turbo on than with turbo off (like 113 vs 115), but that difference is so negligable to not even matter. So I just leave turbo off.

I'm going to have to recall this from memory, but the settings I changed in the first menu:

D.O.C.P. (chose profile 1 for my ram, which is 1600-9-9-9-27 @ 1.65V)

AMD Turbo core (Disabled)

In the Digi+ menu, I changed the settings to what you see above.

In the CPU menu I changed the CnQ to (Always Disabled)

C1E was disabled by default

C6 was enabled and so was SVM. (default)

And thats basically all I did.