cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can the RVE use Fan Xpert3 to control the Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme?

Azenogoth
Level 7
Howdy.

I am in the middle of a new build using the Rampage V Extreme and a Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme cooler. I am intrigued with the idea of using the Asus Fan Xpert 3 fan control software coupled with the included OC panel to monitor temps.

But when installing the Water 3.0 cooler, I noticed that the connectors are one 3-pin fan connector and one USB 9-pin (Or 10-1) connector.

So the question I have is will the Fan Xpert 3 software recognize and effectively control the Water 3.0 and its fans, or will I be stuck using the Thermaltake software and the need to remove the now worthless OC panel?

Would it be better to decouple my PWM fans I installed on the radiator from the Water 3.0 harness and put them directly on the CPU and CPU-OPT fan headers, while putting the Water 3.0 connectors in the USB and a side fan header?
6 REPLIES 6

LiveOrDie
Level 11
The board supports control over 3 and 4pin fans so u shouldn't have a problem just make sure you have the fans connected to A/B matching headers as the fan headers are shared.

Thank you. So what is the USB connector for? Is it just for power to the pump, or does it offer control input/output as well?

LiveOrDie
Level 11
I would say that would be for the software just like a H100i uses corsair software for fan and pump control, So if you use the motherboard you wont need to use the USB.

Last part I have on order arrives this weekend, so I'll give this a test and see what happens.

Many thanks for the replies.

Chino
Level 15
The 3 pin cable is used to power your pump and fans while the USB 2.0 cable allows you control the fans via Thermaltake's software while Windows.

If you plug your fans into the fan header joiner, you can control them with the Thermaltake software. If you plug them directly to the motherboard headers, you can control them via Fan Xpert 3 or within the BIOS.

Thanks Chino.

I'll just connect the fans to the MOBO and leave out the USB. I'd much prefer to use the Fan Xpert to control everything.

Looks like I get to have my USB header back to connect my case connector to.