cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73SW GPU an CPU temperatures.

Thundergy
Level 7
Hello! I have a couple of questions to ask about Asus G73SW with GTX460m and i7 2630QM.

What are your temperatures when running basic tasks like a web browser, MS Office, etc.
What are your temperatures when gaming?
How often would you suggest to repaste the CPU an GPU.

I've purchased this laptop on April 17, 2011 and I've never repasted it. I only clean out dust once a month - 2 months.

Ill post my results later today. Right now I'm cycling a new battery.
8 REPLIES 8

billyray520
Level 10
On ours, the temps runs about 45 C for graphics card during light gaming. I don't recall what the CPU does, but maybe cooler.

My opinion is that a repaste should never be needed unless it was done wrong in the first place. I've never done my G73jh (May 2010) and the GPU in there runs about 45 C as well. 🙂
Asus Maximus V Extreme BIOS 1903, see specs above avatar.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
(both have 1920X1080 hd screens, mine above, hers below )
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

42013 42012 here are my temps under regular web browsing/skype

billyray520
Level 10
Another thing to consider is how you have PowerPlay set.

Asus G73 jh A1 laptop, BIOS 213, vBIOS OD2, 8 GB Ram, 240 GB Intel SSD, 180 GB Intel SSD. Win 7 Pro. Purchased new from PowerNotebooks.com in May 2010.
Asus G73 Sw XR1 laptop 8 GB Ram, 160 GB Intel SSD, 80 GB Intel SSD. Purchased used >Ebay 1/10/13, Did clean install of Windows 7

No idea what that is. Googled it. Seems like it has something to do with AMD gpu's? Never seen anything PowerPlay on my G73 SW. Anyways I always have laptop set to high performance. Sorry I don't have gaming temperatures yet, been kinda busy..midterms coming up ;/

billyray520
Level 10
My mistake! 😛 I meant Power 4 Gear settings.

GammaRay
Level 7
Hi, I'm also interested in knowing the normal temps of the Asus G73, I have a refurbished G73SW bought from eBay. My G73 has an intel i7 2630QM, Nvidia GTX460M and 8 RAM Gigs. Lately, I've noticed a quite large performance downturn. A couple of months ago I was able to play almost any game in middle - top settings at 1920x1080p and the framerate stayed stable in 50 - 60 FPS, now I can't play any game like back then, the framerate slows down to 15 - 25 FPS, it's horrible haha.
So, I checked my GPU temp and I got 60 - 65 °C at idle and it rises up to 95 - 100 °C while playing. I got the temp with GPU-Z. I've never checked any temp before so I don't know what the normal temps are, but I think that I have an overheating problem haha. At first, I didn't think that overheating was my problem because I open my laptop and clean the fans every 1 - 2 months, but then I thought that it would be the GPU's thermal paste. I'm not sure at all and I want to know your opinions before I mess up with it.
Another thing I want to know is which thermal paste do you think is the best for my G73, I was going to buy the AS5 but I've heard that ICD7 would do better for the G73's heatsink.

dude do you dust out the fans?

I made this vid a while back lol. This vacuum is around $3k water filtration and no "static air"...but i use compressed air cans now. Anyways my pc also has frame freezes. I used to play GTA IV no problem....now i get a frame freeze every 5 seconds and then steady 40~ fps. As for thermal paste i was thinking of buying Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Compound simply because noctua specializes in cooling and has probably the best reputation in that department. Plus highest rated thermal paste on amazon!

Thundergy
Level 7
oh wow...so after cheking out this video i made like two years ago...i see my temperatures have risen by 10 degrees at least....probably need re-pasting ;/...im too scared to take the laptop apart.

P.S. sorry for cursing. I picked this "skill" up from dad...but try to limit myself now, because it really is a problem and i don't like it 0.0