cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[HOW TO] Turning off All motherboar lights when shut down. Keep ROG LED when PC is on

JKAPhoto
Level 7
I like my room dark when I sleep. So when I build my new ASUS Maximus VII Hero computer and powered off for the first time and noticed all these lights still on! the very next thing I did was google how to turn them OFF! It took me weeks to figure out what to do and I have not seen (using Google) any one posting the complete answer. So I'll try to explain.

The ROG and SupremeFX and mobo On button LEDs can be turned off in the BIOS using the Advanced>ROG Effects options. The problem for people is if you disable them the LEDs are off ALWAYS. People would like to have them off while powered down but on while powered on.

I left them disabled, as this was the only fix I could find and I did not want them on while powered down. The problem I still had was that my bright green LED on my ASUS GTX760 was still on! even when powered off and all the mobo lights were off. Also my WD MyBook would stay on in sleep mode and slowly blink the LED since there is no actual power off button on the MyBook like my External enclosure and Lacie HHD has.

SO THE FIX!!!!!

In the BIOS under ADVANCED>APM there is a ErP/EuP setting.
ErP Support determines whether to let the system consume less than 1W of power in S5 (shutdown) state. When the setting is enabled, the following four functions will become unavailable: PME Event Wake Up, Power On By Mouse, Power On By Keyboard, and Wake On LAN.
redduc900 @overclockers.com

This is the answer. When I enabled ErP S5 and powered off ALL LEDs were off. Motherboard, GPU, External HHD were all OFF!
So I re-enabled ROG Effects on the motherboard then powered off again. ALL LEDs were still OFF!

So this ErP enabled S5 will allow you to keep your fancy ROG lights on when the computer is on as well as turn OFF everything so you can get a good nights sleep.
6 REPLIES 6

Praz
Level 13
Hello

Enabling ErP if using a ErP compatible power supply has been the solution we have suggested multiple times here at ROG. Glad this worked for you.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Enabling ErP if using a ErP compatible power supply has been the solution we have suggested multiple times here at ROG. Glad this worked for you.

Hi,
I have an Asus Z97 PRO-GAMER motherboard and the red lights on there stay on after shutdown.
I have an ErP ready psu and have tried enabling it in the BIOS.
Still hasn't worked...

Any ideas on where to look next?

I realize this is not a ROG board and after googling this is the only thread that mentions my exact problem.

Cheers!

Hello,

I had the same problem with my Z170 Board and that finally helped me:

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/4189-fast-startup-turn-off-windows-10-a.html

for solving that "problem" enable ErP (S5) status and save.
after restart > return on BIOS and re-enable ROG LED options with your preferred color scheme/effect.
save and exit and GG.

Ghostfox

ghostfox wrote:
for solving that "problem" enable ErP (S5) status and save.
after restart > return on BIOS and re-enable ROG LED options with your preferred color scheme/effect.
save and exit and GG.

Ghostfox

I tried both the (enable S4 & S5) as well as just (enable S5) options and my machine wouldn't reboot. I had to do a power cycle from the master switch on the PSU and then hold down the computer's power button until it reset the BIOS and allowed me to disable ERP altogether. My PSU is not ERP ready. Would any of you know where I could find a PSU that is?

Dubedollars
Level 7

For this sir you are the GOAT! 🙏 I tried unplugging everything that would still let me have some control over the rgb with my z11 case to no avail. But this. Shut down and the computer actually shuts down. Fans stop running. Rgb turns off. Amazing. Thank you for this!