cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

911! GX500! Will It Have 980M and 4K Screen? ASAP? Help! Life or Death!

needspractice
Level 7
I need to know if the GX500 is going to have:

01 - 980M with 4GB or 8GB of VRAM?

02 – 4K Screen with 100% GAMA?

03 – Be available anytime soon?

04 – Is there any information you can give on this laptop?

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3D%2522GX500%2522%...
12 REPLIES 12

WhiteEyeDoll
Level 7
01 - At the moment it is listed to have a 860M (most likely 4GB GDDR5).

03 - It has been delayed multiple times. Something to do with shortage of 4K panels. My quess is late december/early january.

04- It will cost about 2500€ and as it's a slim and lightweight laptop it will not be able to handle a 980M. It might get a 960M but I highly doubt anythig more powerful than that.
"Nope!"

-WhiteEyeDoll, since forever

WhiteEyeDoll wrote:
01 - At the moment it is listed to have a 860M (most likely 4GB GDDR5).

03 - It has been delayed multiple times. Something to do with shortage of 4K panels. My quess is late december/early january.

04- It will cost about 2500€ and as it's a slim and lightweight laptop it will not be able to handle a 980M. It might get a 960M but I highly doubt anythig more powerful than that.

So is this laptop going to be thinner than the P35x V3? Because it has the 980M.

So at best you think this will have the 960M but will have a very nice Display.

WhiteEyeDoll
Level 7
The GX500 will be 19mm thick. ---> As you can see here.

Im quite sure that the P35x V3 will have serious cooling problems with 980M under load.

And yes, 4K will be nice for movies and pictures but not so much with Windows's horrible desktop scaling and gaming at 4K will be out of the question with 860M/960M (even 980M can do barely anything in 4K).
"Nope!"

WhiteEyeDoll wrote:
The GX500 will be 19mm thick. ---> As you can see here.

Im quite sure that the P35x V3 will have serious cooling problems with 980M under load.

And yes, 4K will be nice for movies and pictures but not so much with Windows's horrible desktop scaling and gaming at 4K will be out of the question with 860M/960M (even 980M can do barely anything in 4K).

When I go to that link I get this ...

Dear Valued Customer,

ASUS is dedicated to providing the best products and services to our consumers.
We are currently undergoing maintenance for (rog.asus.com) and the web content is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for your inconvenience and please check back with us on Friday, October 3rd.

Man they must be really changing this laptop because its been under construction for ever.

Can you see anything?

So do you know for absolutely sure that the GX500 will not have the 980M?

needspractice wrote:
When I go to that link I get this ...
Dear Valued Customer,
ASUS is dedicated to providing the best products and services to our consumers.
We are currently undergoing maintenance for (rog.asus.com) and the web content is temporarily unavailable. We apologize for your inconvenience and please check back with us on Friday, October 3rd.
Man they must be really changing this laptop because its been under construction for ever.
Can you see anything?

needspractice, that's an old Proxy message, try clearing out your browser cache and flushing DNS, and if that doesn't work, clear it again and point to a new DNS server.

I got there ok:

GX500 – Meet The Coolest Ultra-thin 15.6” Gaming Notebook
http://rog.asus.com/324762014/g-series-gaming-laptops/gx500-meet-the-coolest-ultra-thin-15-6-gaming-...

needspractice wrote:

Lets say it this way..

IF it will have a 980M (Which I HIGHLY doubt!!!) there will be serious problems with thermal throtling and life expectancy. And the price will be unbearable.

Also the GX500 is the "gaming" version of NX500 wich has a 850M. And usually the "gaming" version of laptops have one step higher GPU (ex. 850M-->860M), so my quess is that they are still going to put in a 860M/960M.

Even G771 with a 860M has thermal problems. And its a "fatter" media laptop.

If you dont have nothing against of laptops with a bit more heft to them, I would recommend getting a G751JY. It has a 980M and the prices start at 1699€. (Atleast in Finland.)
"Nope!"

X-ROG
Level 15
It will be arriving in 2015 and the specs will be different to those announced previously due to the 6+ month gap. We're not announcing what those will be until the actual launch now, so anything on the net to date is outdated. Even leaked sales pages are totally wrong.

If you really need something ultra-thin and game-y then the NX500 is available right now.

Forget the 980M. It's an ultra-thin, it'll never be able to deal with that kind of heat unless you can sit with a 5000RPM fan on all day every day. We have two top-tier products now: GX series ultra-thins for those who need the best balance of mobility and power, and Gx51s for those who need the best performance -- price: performance category, with less emphasis on absolute weight and size. This is simply because the two categories are mutually exclusive. It's not one size fits all.

The Gx71 series is the 'affordable' range of gaming notebooks, with less premium features. Their cooling/hardware etc is not the same as the high-end due to materials differences and relative cost, which is why the two ranges are not directly comparative. If you start using exotic cooling then your cost spirals. (Still the G771 should not have any thermal issue)

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
It will be arriving in 2015 and the specs will be different to those announced previously due to the 6+ month gap. We're not announcing what those will be until the actual launch now, so anything on the net to date is outdated. Even leaked sales pages are totally wrong.

If you really need something ultra-thin and game-y then the NX500 is available right now.

Forget the 980M. It's an ultra-thin, it'll never be able to deal with that kind of heat unless you can sit with a 5000RPM fan on all day every day. We have two top-tier products now: GX series ultra-thins for those who need the best balance of mobility and power, and Gx51s for those who need the best performance -- price: performance category, with less emphasis on absolute weight and size. This is simply because the two categories are mutually exclusive. It's not one size fits all.

The Gx71 series is the 'affordable' range of gaming notebooks, with less premium features. Their cooling/hardware etc is not the same as the high-end due to materials differences and relative cost, which is why the two ranges are not directly comparative. If you start using exotic cooling then your cost spirals. (Still the G771 should not have any thermal issue)

Most likely a nvidia gtx 960m.

X-ROG
Level 15
Possibly? Or AMD options? or 20nm options? Who knows 😉