cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help PG278Q GTX 980'

juantrox
Level 7
Hello guys,

I'm quite upset as I just created a new build and my PG278Q rog swift is not getting signal. I've also pressed the buttons of the monitor to see if I could see the menu but nothing appears although a no signal symbol appears and the asus rog logo appears as well when turning it on. The monitor is connected to my GTX 980 and doesn't seem to connect properly (displaport) however if I use the hdmi and connect it to my tv there it works fine. One curious thing is that when I plug in the display port the PC (windows 7 Ultimate x64) does detect the monitor but doesn't let me select it as primary monitor or even selected as duplicated or extended display. And one last thing, when booting the computer if th displayport is connected I won't get any signal, I need to boot only with the hdmi. Any tips or should I just RMA it ? I'm tempted on buying another displayport cable to see if that's the problem I also thouhght about a driver issue with windows but haven't found much.

Thank you!

J

(build: Corsair Obsidian 350d, Gigabyte GA Z7MX G5, Corsair rev. pro 2133 8Gb RAM, Core I5 4690k, XFX PSU 850w, Zotac ref. GTX 980, PG278Q.
11 REPLIES 11

EmeraldAegis
Level 7
I have a similar problem, except I currently have no graphics card and its a fresh install. Meaning that I don't even have windows installed yet. I'm using the onboard graphics that comes with my Asus Maximus Ranger. I have a DisplayPort to HDMI adapter, so that I can connect to my motherboards HDMI port. Like juantrox I can also connect to my TV and Project without a problem.

Would be good to know if there is something wrong with the monitor or if we're doing something wrong.

Hi, so I managed to solve my problem. The issue I had was that I was trying to connect via HDMI to my motherboard by using a passive hdmi to displayport adapter. What I actually needed was an active hdmi to display adapater. Apparently my motherboards integrated graphics card isn't capable of converting the display port signal into something that my monitor can decipher. Therefore I need an active adapter to do the conversion for me.

Also, when my graphics card arrived and I connected using the display port on it. This worked fine without any issues. I hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.

EmeraldAegis wrote:
Hi, so I managed to solve my problem. The issue I had was that I was trying to connect via HDMI to my motherboard by using a passive hdmi to displayport adapter. What I actually needed was an active hdmi to display adapater. Apparently my motherboards integrated graphics card isn't capable of converting the display port signal into something that my monitor can decipher. Therefore I need an active adapter to do the conversion for me.

Also, when my graphics card arrived and I connected using the display port on it. This worked fine without any issues. I hope this sheds some light on the subject for you.

Thanks! It would be interesting to see if the monitor works like that. Where did you get the cable, can you post the link?

bezpredel
Level 7
Check the cable is inserted firmly? can you insert the cable is not securely in monitor?

thewoogier
Level 7
Hey Juantrox, I'm having the exact same issue as you. ROG Swift, 970s in SLI, displayport, drivers 344.16. I haven't even been able to try out my monitor yet because of this issue. I'm really hoping it's a driver issue, I'm going to attempt a few more things today to try to find some sort of workaround. Please let me know if you figure out something!!!!

juantrox
Level 7
Hi all, thank you for replying. I'm going to be home tonight to try more ways to see if I get lucky.

Just a question. If you press the menu button on the rog swift monitor and the monitor is disconnected to the pc, can you see anything on screen? I can't... :(...

I also read a guy who had a similar issue so he removed the nvidia drivers re-installed windows 7 without the card inside, then he booted on safe mode and installed the latest drivers and finally the card... I guess I'll give it a shot... and keep you posted. If you find anything please let me know... cheers!

juantrox wrote:
Hi all, thank you for replying. I'm going to be home tonight to try more ways to see if I get lucky.

Just a question. If you press the menu button on the rog swift monitor and the monitor is disconnected to the pc, can you see anything on screen? I can't... :(...

I also read a guy who had a similar issue so he removed the nvidia drivers re-installed windows 7 without the card inside, then he booted on safe mode and installed the latest drivers and finally the card... I guess I'll give it a shot... and keep you posted. If you find anything please let me know... cheers!

Nope, I can't access any menu without it actively getting source information it seems. With "No Signal" I can't access the menu on the monitor at all. I have my own thread here I started with all the things I've tried. http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52618-ROG-Swift-and-Nvidia-344-16-Displayport-issue

juantrox
Level 7
Hi all,

Finally my problem was solved. Took my monitor back to the store (Aria UK) they tested it and the monitor was faulty. Lucky me, they gave me a new one and as soon as I plugged it in it worked. Thanks all for your comments.

cheers
J

pennyboy
Level 9
The woogier, I would do the same as juantrox and get you swift replaced, I am pretty certain your one is also faulty 😞