Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Boxis View Post
    @Mokoko123 - Wall of text incoming.

When I have got my G751JY, I have been getting pretty similar temps (96/96/94/94 on CPU, 78°C on GPU). Obviously I was stressed cause I expected them to be lower(I am talking about CPU). Talked with asus customer support and they told me to send the laptop for "diagnostics".

So I RMA-ed it and after a week and half I got it back with statement that the notebook is fine, they did 10hours stress test in which the CPU reached 96°C which is under 100°C maximum operational temperature limit, so they do not see any problem with the notebook...
    Thanks Boxis for you answer. Nice to see that there's a rather active and helpful community around here.

I've done some more testing today with stress testing and gaming and decided not to do a RMA. Even if I don't like the high temperatures when testing with Prime95 and Furmark, the temperatures stay below the T-junction and hwinfo64 shows me that cpu clock speed doesn't get below 2,5GHz, so technically speaking there is no problem with temperatures.

I played around with Intel XTU and the undervolting potential is of course nice, but if the clock multipliers are not lowered also the CPU fills the thermal headroom by running higher clock speeds. That of course is free performance which is always nice. I suspect there's some stability testing to be done during the upcoming weekend.

NBFC turned out to be a really welcome software. When playing Max Payne 3 the GPU max stayed below 70 degrees celcius and CPUmax below 80 degrees celcius. below 80 degrees celcius which I consider more than acceptable. Sure it's not the most demanding title available but for now it'll do. Noise level increase is rather small so nothing but a big thumbs up for it from me.

Happy gaming
    Last edited by Mokoko123; 03-11-2015 at 08:28 PM. Reason: my horrible grammar

ROG Enthusiast Array Akik82 PC Specs
    Akik82 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JY-T7052H
    MotherboardHM87
    Processori7-4710HQ
    Graphics Card #1GeForce GTX 980M 4GB
    Storage #1SSD M.2 PCIE 256GB
    Storage #21 TB 7200 rpm
    Power SupplyDelta 230W
    Mouse Steelseries Diablo III
    Headset Steelseries Siberia Elite Prism
    Mouse Pad Steelseries Diablo III
    OS Windows 10 x64
    Accessory #1 Asus ROG Backpack

Hi everyone !
    I have a G751JY-T7052H (i7 4710HQ, 16 GB, 980M) since 1 month today and I come on this forum to write my first review.
    This rig is a beast in term of design, performance, price etc. My bigger games, Dying Light and BF4, are running easily on it. Graphics performances are awesome.

I have one question for you, about my temps. I tried a lot of settings about v-sync and here is what I get while playing :

With v-sync off in games settings, I get the most FPS it can blow. For example, I'm very rarely below 60fps in Dying Light and rarely below 70fps in BF4.
    Dying Light is often at 65+ and BF4 at 75-80+. But with v-sync off, I get the hottest temps. In Dying Light GPU is about 73-75°C MAX and CPU is about 83-85°C MAX (peaks). I Think average CPU is about 80-82°C but I'll do more test with HWiNFO64 to get the exact min/max/average.
    In BF4 it's a little bit higher. With v-sync off, my GPU grows to 75-76°C, almost never see 77 I think. CPU go between 85-87 (some peak at 89 but only saw this once). Average CPU should be around 85°C I think.
    I did some tests with v-sync on adaptive to save some °C and in Dying Light CPU is about 81-82°C max and in BF4 maybe 83-85°C, not sure at 100%. More tests to come this evening to confirm the difference between v-sync off and adaptive.

What do you suggest after reading this ? Should I RMA my rig ? Should I only play with adaptive to save some °C ? v-sync off temps are acceptable ?

Thanks for your advices.
    Regards.

NB : excuse my poor English... (French)

ROG Enthusiast Array

[QUOTE=Boxis;483086]Are you sure your fps is not capped constantly at 60/75 ? If your GPU is at full load for a few hours and you ha
    ve under 80°C then you have really good cooling, gratz !

Hi, i only cap it, if my roomtemp reaches more than 25c, but my ave GPU temp on full load is 70-78c i never reach 80, maybe i just got lucky with the batch.. only problem is my speakers are still crappy even thou i updated the driver and fix the settings.. maybe thats the drawback.. hehehehe

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by dapogz View Post
    [
    Hi, i only cap it, if my roomtemp reaches more than 25c, but my ave GPU temp on full load is 70-78c i never reach 80, maybe i just got lucky with the batch.. only problem is my speakers are still crappy even thou i updated the driver and fix the settings.. maybe thats the drawback.. hehehehe
    Well, in my posts I was talking all the time about CPU temps because GPU temps are not really a problem in our laptops in like 99% cases . I was just saying that when GPU is going at max speed (having 98% load) that it affects CPU temps significantly, thats why some of us did not have good CPU temps when under load. Check your CPU temps please if you can without vsync.

@Akik82 - You have good temps, nothing to worry about. But if you want them to be even lower you can check https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...Y-Profile-quot . This should help you reduce temps quite a lot.
    Last edited by Boxis; 03-13-2015 at 03:04 PM.

Akik82 PC Specs
    MotherboardHM87
    Processori7-4710HQ
    Storage #21 TB 7200 rpm
    Power SupplyDelta 230W
    OS Windows 10 x64

Thanks Boxis for answer. If others like hmscott can confirm this it would be nice
    I just played BF4 in multiplayers 64 ppl for about 40 min and here are the values from HWiNFO64 :

Game's settings : ULTRA, 1080p, v-sync off. 80+fps almost all the time.

CPU (i7 4710HQ) max : 87°C
    CPU average right after leaving the game : 77°C
    GPU (980M) max : 77°C
    CPU TDP max : 45W
    Current CPU speed : 3292Mhz for all cores all the time

Here are idle temps :
    CPU : 37°C
    GPU : ~41°C

No frequency drop during play for CPU nor GPU, no stutter while playing. I guess I didn't get Thermal Throttle thing. Right ?

Thx for your help guys.
    Last edited by Akik82; 03-13-2015 at 03:47 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Boxis View Post
    Well, in my posts I was talking all the time about CPU temps because GPU temps are not really a problem in our laptops in like 99% cases . I was just saying that when GPU is going at max speed (having 98% load) that it affects CPU temps significantly, thats why some of us did not have good CPU temps when under load. Check your CPU temps.
    Ok will try that.. but last time i played black flag in ultra.. vsync off- i still havn't reach more than 80c.. my max temp is 78c on cpu.. 65c on gpu.. ill try other games.. and see if temp reaches more..

Akik82 PC Specs
    MotherboardHM87
    Processori7-4710HQ
    Storage #21 TB 7200 rpm
    Power SupplyDelta 230W
    OS Windows 10 x64

Other test on Dying Light for about 1h20.
    Game's settings : 1080p, v-sync off, High all settings, view distance 50% (8/16) and ON everywhere else.

CPU (i7 4710HQ) max : 86°C
    CPU average right after leaving the game : 79°C
    GPU (980M) max : 76°C
    CPU TDP max : 41.2W
    Current CPU speed : 3292Mhz for all cores all the time

No particular stutter, didn't see any drop in fps or frequency for both CPU & GPU. I guess again no thermal throttle. Hopefully !

Can I state that my temps are "normal" and there is no problem with my rig ? No need to RMA or something else ?

Regards.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

@Akik82 : As I said, you should download MSI Afterburner and monitor your temps while gaming with the On Screen Display option. That way you will get to know the real Average temp and you can also monitor if the CPU throttles or not.

By the way, the CPU won't throttle until the core temp reaches 95C, so you are fine and dandy. Though, check what I have said about Triple Buffering in the other thread. Also, you should consider a CPU Undervolt since it won't change the performance in any way. Also, I recommend using the "Balanced" profile instead of the "High performance" one, because the "High Performance" keeps your CPU clocks at max all the time, even when you don't need the power. The "Balanced" profile is better because it will let your CPU cooldown and raise the frequency just when it needs too. Don't worry about any performance drops in games because there won't be any.

Akik82 PC Specs
    MotherboardHM87
    Processori7-4710HQ
    Storage #21 TB 7200 rpm
    Power SupplyDelta 230W
    OS Windows 10 x64

I just checked out, I'm not in performance mode but in "normal utilization" in power management menu. I guess it's what you call "Balanced".
    I'm already using MSI Afterburner and yes the average temps are a little bit lower than the peak temps (~86-87°C with v sync off).
    Can you link the latest version of D3DOverrider please ? Thx !

EDIT : I tested again BF4 at max settings v-sync off with MSI Afterburner + RTSS on-screen and here are the values :

CPU max : 87°C (like HWiNFO64)
    GPU max : 76°C
    CPU average : I saw 1 peak to 87°C then most of the time it was fluctuating between 83 and 85°C
    GPU average : almost all the time at 75°C

Seems to be good temps no ? I really love v-sync off smoothness like on a desktop
    Will it hurt my laptop later ? Hope not...
    Last edited by Akik82; 03-13-2015 at 11:55 PM.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array

The temperatures are fine. No reason to worry about. Just keep an eye on them while using V-Sync off. Though, for the love of God, please try using V-Sync On + Triple Buffering. It hurts to see that you are making poor choices without having a strong info to rely on.

If you are still concerned about the high temps, I have presented you all possible solutions in the other thread.

Page 14 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 12 13 14 15 16 ... LastLast