cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z FF error/DRAM light

saef_irq
Level 7
Hello. I have a problem with the EROR code ( FF ) motherboard : Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z ATX AM3+ Motherboar. //// Specification : ram : 8 gb 2400. // cpu : amd fx 8350. // power supply : corsair 850w. // Each link is true and I tried many solutions have failed.
16 REPLIES 16

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi saef.irq and Welcome to ROG
The dreaded FF error can be one of many things.

The dreaded "FF" POST code, or no POST at all.
This fix is best done outside a case to ensure the case isn't shorting the motherboard:

Qcode: FF indicates Fault Found.

1) If you know what burnt electronics smell like, then smell your motherboard. I'm not joking. Specifically around the VREG (left/above the socket), Southbridge (below the socket) and Chipset (right of the PCI slots) areas. If you smell burnt electronics, keep that in mind if you hit step (7b) below as that'll means its the motherboard 99.9% of the time.

2) Test the PSU with a tester, if it's not beeping/blinking at you then it's ok. Unplug and re-plug the 24-pin connection several times. Keep an eye on the "PG" and see if it ever reports 0ms or 999ms as this means it's a bad PSU (since this is unloaded it won't fail the PSU tester every time even though it will fail the motherboard every time). If you don't have PSU tester, swap in your known-good PSU.

3) With the PSU verified to be good, plug in ONLY the power to the motherboard (20+4-pin and 4/8-pin CPU power, but NOT the 4-pin molex connection if it has one). Disconnect EVERYTHING else from power (hard drives, DVD drives, etc).

4) Remove all RAM. Remove all GPUs. Remove all other PCI/PCI-e cards. Unplug all the cables (including SATA, IDE, FDD, SAS, USB, Firewire, HD Audio, and all the switches but the power switch) from the motherboard. You should have just your MoBo, CPU, HSF, PSU and a power switch connected right now. Disconnect EVERYTHING from the front and back panels of the computer, including your mouse and keyboard.
4a) if your computer does NOTHING when you hit the power button, plug the reset switch into the power switch pins on the motherboard and use the reset button in case the power button has gone bad - yes, it happens, no it won't damage anything.

5) Remove the BIOS battery and leave it out until you're told to put it back in.

6) Power on the computer. If it beeps or gives a POST code other than FF then go to (7a) below, if not check out (7b)

7a) If it beeps at you, or gives any POST code other than FF then turn it back off. Leave the BIOS battery out. You will now add in 1 piece of hardware, power it on, check if it POSTs (and gives any error other than FF), if it does, turn it back off and add the next component. Start with RAM, one stick at a time, then GPUs, one at a time, then other expansion cards, finally HDDs/DVD drives - rebooting between each and every part.

8a) If it starts giving an FF code or stops POSTing all together then the last component you added is bad.

9a) If it doesn't give a FF error code and is still POSTing with all your hardware back in, shut it down again, put the BIOS battery back in and power back on one more time. If it gives an FF code now, replace your BIOS battery.

10a) If it works with everything back in, then your motherboard lives to fight another day.

7b) If it still POSTs as FF or not at all in this condition remove the CPU, make sure the pins are intact, reseat the CPU and HSF and try it again. If it still posts FF you either have a bad motherboard (about 95% of the time or about 100% if you smelled burnt electronics in step 1) or a bad CPU (about a 5% chance).

8b) Swap in a known working motherboard if you have one to test the CPU is good, or bring in a spare CPU to test the motherboard with. Whichever part fails is the culprit, replace it and go again.

As you see it can mean a number of things, so follow these steps and see how you go.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

saef_irq
Level 7
Thanks for your replay. and your effort in helping me
So has not left me that only motherboard damage "or CPU damage" I'm going to test each on different pieces

saef.irq wrote:
Thanks for your replay. and your effort in helping me
So has not left me that only motherboard damage "or CPU damage" I'm going to test each on different pieces

Hello, almost the same problem here. Plus: no smell of burnt, minus: the FF code blinks for an instant and that's all. Then the POST is blank. I followed the suggested procedure using the following minimal configuration:
MB: Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU: AMD FX 8350 black ed.
PSU: Seasonic X750
but still I fall into the 7b case.

Everything is new and buyed on Amazon or at a local dealer in the last months.

Each suggestion will be really appreciated.

Greets from Italy,
Antonio

Thank you for providing detailed troubleshooting instructions, MeanMachine.

MB: Crosshair V Formula Z
CPU: AMD FX 9590
PSU: EVGA Supernova 1000 PW

I fall into the dreaded 7b category and get no post and FF, but smell no electronics burning. I do not have another power supply or motherboard to try. I only build a new rig every few years.

I guess I will RMA both the motherboard and 9590. Makes a girl want to cry.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Daphne and Welcome to ROG.
Sorry to here of your problem too. Your first port of call should be your supplier. Call them and ask if they can check your MB and CPU to test together. You should be entitled to a replacement rather than a full RMA procedure.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

beaglebc
Level 7
My coworker's computer that I set up was getting intermittant sytem freezing, boot problems, and FF error code. Cpu: AMD FX-9590. This was resolved by redoing the cpu heatsink thermal paste (pea size in centre) and ensuring the cooler locking screws were tight. I expect I may have to do this every 6 months or so for too much heat generated from cpu.

The problem was original solved by going to a water cooler for the fan unit was vibrating the board too much. After a few months the problem returned then figured out that the cpu cooler locking screws had loosened. Obviously the FX-9590 is very sensitive.

I'm having the EXACT same problem. I thought it would have been a bad BIOS chip because i read something online about it being possible. So I sent it back for a replacement and received it today, so far, the same thing is happening. What a lot of people think is the DRAM light, is actually the CPU light since not all of the text lights up. Does anyone have anything or any ideas that can help? I'm at my wits end with this thing 😞

Note: I plugged it into multiple monitors using the ASUS Radeon R9 270X, and an older GeForce 9400GT, neither worked and neither gave POST

Specs:
MB - ASUS Crosshair V Formula - Z
CPU - AMD FX 8350
PSU - Thermaltake 1000W PSU

JFreeman wrote:
I'm having the EXACT same problem. I thought it would have been a bad BIOS chip because i read something online about it being possible. So I sent it back for a replacement and received it today, so far, the same thing is happening. What a lot of people think is the DRAM light, is actually the CPU light since not all of the text lights up. Does anyone have anything or any ideas that can help? I'm at my wits end with this thing 😞

DRAM_LED or CPU_LED, You will have to rectify whichever the fault is, before you can move on.
I can't determine which one is lit from your pic as they are next to each other. What I can determine is you have no DIMMs installed.
When you install your DIMMs make sure they are seated correctly. You have a single sided lockdown mechanism, so make sure the offside is pushed in well.
Are you still getting the FF Qcode with DIMMs installed, if so then try switching them around with just one stick in first slot.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

zajacm1860
Level 7
I have same thing but noticed everyone that has this issue has just build and starting up the computer for the first time. I had this motherboard running for over a year and tried starting it up today and go that FF msg with red Dram. I removed all my ram and instal a single different one and made no difference. Can somebody please help?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk