Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    SippyCupXIII
    I found another possible option that I could go with. I still wouldn't be able to do 18 months but MicroCenter has the G74SX-RH71 (http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0373585) for $1400. It has very similar specs to the A1 except it has the i7 2670QM which is nice for the better speed but only has one 750gb and only a DVD Burner (which I don't care about the Blu-Ray really). It still has the 1080p display and the 3gb GTX 560m so I am still good on that part. I really only need the one hard drive as for files but I do some game recording with Dxtory and Fraps so I can just get a 500gb Momentus XT for about $95 at work which would be faster anyways since recording needs really fast write speeds. So this option would be cheaper than the A1 even with buying the extra Hard Drive and with this one I am getting everything else I really wanted and it has the faster processor so this seems to make more sense. Now the only thing is if this model has the same quality screen as the A1 or not is something we can't tell. It is also nice that the store is also only about ~35 minutes away so I can get it exchanged easier if something is wrong with it so that is another plus. So what you guys think about this option? Also if anyone here has the RJ71 please comment on how you like it and the quality of the screen. Thanks!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array JRd1st's Avatar

This looks like a great alternative. I'd get an SSD instead of a HDD then swap your system drive over to that and use the 750GB as your data drive.

Look at the screen before you buy it. Make sure it looks good.
    Read the User's Manual for more info.

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
    Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
    LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
    Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
    Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

SippyCupXIII
    Well, I am prefectly fine with the performance of a normal hard drive for Windows use. I don't even have a SSD in my main desktop as of right now. I am just using a Sata 6.0 Seagate Barracuda XT from my main drive and another for my recording drive. The reason why I was looking at the Momentus XT for the recording is because where I don't get any lag or performance hit with my desktop while recording gameplay I did notice a little slow down when recording with the BBK7. Now I am sure that it will do better alone with the better Processor and Graphics Card but the Momentus XT would definitely be better for faster write speeds since that was probably the other major problem since the footage with Fraps and Dxtory is captured in such a raw state and need really fast write speeds.

The only other thing I am debating to do is with the service plan. I can go with MicroCenters which is $330 for a 3 year standard plan or $330 for a 2 year accidental. Looking at the Square Trade website mentioned before a 3 year standard would only run $180 while a 3 year accidental is $300. The only thing I am a little thrown off on is that I have never heard/dealt with Square Trade. After looking on Google there are very few complaints and a lot of positive feedback on their claims so I am sure they are trustworthy. So I ask, have any of you used Square Trade and what are your experiences with them? I am thinking of just going with the standard since I am very careful with my things. What you guys think? Thanks!

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by SippyCupXIII View Post
    The only other thing I am debating to do is with the service plan. I can go with MicroCenters which is $330 for a 3 year standard plan or $330 for a 2 year accidental. Looking at the Square Trade website mentioned before a 3 year standard would only run $180 while a 3 year accidental is $300. The only thing I am a little thrown off on is that I have never heard/dealt with Square Trade. After looking on Google there are very few complaints and a lot of positive feedback on their claims so I am sure they are trustworthy. So I ask, have any of you used Square Trade and what are your experiences with them? I am thinking of just going with the standard since I am very careful with my things. What you guys think? Thanks!
    Personally. I wouldn't get an extended warranty. I just don't think they usually make sense, and this case is no different. The G74 already has a two year warranty, and if you can buy it with a card, you'll typically get a one-year extension on top of that. Three years, full coverage, no cost. And three years is a long time for personal electronics....

SippyCupXIII
    Well I picked the RH71 model from Microcenter and got the Momentus XT from work and got it installed. I made the restore disks as soon as it got running to reformat to make the whole 750gb a single partition. After getting the PC fully restored I noticed that there is a stuck pixel towards the middle of screen. I called Asus and they said it would be repaired under the display guarentee but I am going to check with Micocenter when they open this morning to see if they will just exhange it. Only problem is that I got their last one so I am probably just going to have to wait for them to get it back in. They have the DH71 but it is $400 more and all it comes with is two 750gb hard drives and the blu-ray player which I don't think is worth it for the price difference. Maybe they will make me a deal since they don't have a RH71 to exchange it with. One question I have in installing the second hard drive is how it is connected. I bought the Momentus XT to have an fast drive to record gameplay footage to with Dxtory and Fraps. However since it is connected by that ribbon cable not hard connected like the primary does that decrease the performance? If that is the case I will just get a standard drive and save some money. Thanks guys!

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array Yahooligan's Avatar

One question I have in installing the second hard drive is how it is connected. I bought the Momentus XT to have an fast drive to record gameplay footage to with Dxtory and Fraps. However since it is connected by that ribbon cable not not hard connected like the primary does that decrease the performance? If that is the case I will just get a standard drive and save some money. Thanks guys!
    Performance isn't impacted, the data connector for SATA is actually the small one, not the big one. Nothing to worry about.
    --
    Yahooligan
    ASUS G74SX-XR1

ROG Guru: Black Belt Array

One question I have in installing the second hard drive is how it is connected. I bought the Momentus XT to have an fast drive to record gameplay footage to with Dxtory and Fraps. However since it is connected by that ribbon cable not not hard connected like the primary does that decrease the performance? If that is the case I will just get a standard drive and save some money. Thanks guys!
    As Yahooligan said, it makes absolutely no difference. I just wanted to add that the drive bays are completely interchangeable. You can put your new drive in either bay, using either connector, and you can set the BIOS to boot from your OS drive regardless where that drive is installed.

Brian@ASUS
    when comparing 192bit and 128bit performance. it will vary depending on application or games. some games you see a 2-3FPS difference and some games you see a 5-8FPS difference. this is when settings are max out. if you lower your graphics which most do anyways, you will barely notice the difference

SippyCupXIII
    Thanks for the replies guys! I am still waiting for Microcenter to get the unit back in. I am just not sure what to do if they don't get it in by Thursday (my day off). They said that I can just return it with no restocking fee if they don't get any back in or they might be able to make me a deal on the DH71 which they still have 3 of right now. Or I can just send it out to get the screen repaired but that still leaves me without the laptop for a couple weeks. Guess I will just have to wait and see.

Brian I have a question for you. The screen on this model still has a cooler color tone than my liking although it isn't nearly as bad as the BBK7 model. I have set Windows Color Calibration to how I like it but it doesn't stick for games. It reverts to how the display looked before running the Calibration. When I exit the game to Windows my Calibration is still set in Windows and the color is back to my settings. Also when I have the Color Calibration window open and launch a game after I exit I have a message that states "The devices pages has been refreshed due to a hardware change" Does this mean that their is some driver/software that is making the monitor overide the settings when I launch a full screen application? Also, if I run the game in windowed mode the color is how I have Windows Calibrated to. So it is only not working for full screen applications. I was just hoping that you could give me some info and maybe look into finding a fix for this. Thanks for all you help again guys!

SippyCupXIII
    Well I am going to Microcenter in the morning to exchange the laptop. According to their website they still don't have any of my model in stock so I am probably just going to have to do a return on it unless they make me a offer for the higher end model. I guess I could also just keep it and send it out to be repaired since I have a RMA but I would rather not have a brand new laptop repaired and what not.

I have also been looking at the G53SX-RH71 model they carry (http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0373584) It has the better processor but has the 2gb GTX560 vs the 3gb GTX 560 but after Brian said the real performance difference it will make I am kind of wondering if it is that big of a deal. Especially since I will be gaming at 1360x768 which he said would even make the difference even less unless running at max resolution. The other things that I like about this model are that it is smaller so more easy to transport and also has a matte screen vs the gloss on the G74SX. The things I don't like iy though are the older design for cooling which I read isn't as good and I am not sure if I want to game on the smaller screen. There is just too many choices.

So once again I am looking for a little insight on what you guys would so and if you think that the G53SX would possibly be the better choice for me. Thanks guys!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast