cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Gamefirst III software still waiting!

Brighttail
Level 11
Asus has this on their ROG page and it really looks good, would love to use it to help moderate my home network, but as we all know it disables/hinders the LAN driver/device which means it completely makes it useless. It would be nice if someone would get back to us to let us folks know what is the deal for the Hero VII z97 motherboard and this software?

Still waiting! Just even a note acknowledging us to say, "Hey we know it is an issue and are working on it." would suffice.

Thanks,
BT
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

MSI GTX 1080 TI / 2x Intel 900p / Samsung 970 Pro 512GB

Samsung 850 PRO 512GB / Western Digital Gold 8TB HD

Corsair AX 1200i / Corsair Platinum K95 / Asus Chakram

Acer XB321HK 4k, IPS, G-sync Monitor / Water Cooled / Asus G571JT Laptop
21 REPLIES 21

SpaceNinjaPirat
Level 7
I was actually about to post something similar but see that at least one other concerned owner beat me to it. I would really like all of the features on this board (for which I paid a premium price) to actually work.

To recap, for the Asus techs that might be perusing this forum. On my brand new installation of Windows 7 64-bit (Maximus VII Hero board), as soon as I install the Gamefirst III app, the network interface appears to function but does not connect to ANY network. It does not get an address from the DHCP server and thus can't communicate on my network at all. As soon as the Gamefirst III app is disabled (as in all services turned off) or uninstalled, the network works fine. I am now currently running without the Gamefirst III app though I wish I could use it as it is functionality I feel I could use.

EDIT: Because the network interface cannot get an address from the DHCP server, I end up with an APIPA address. Without going through all of the hassle to confirm this, it is almost like the GameFirst III app is messing with the network interface on a layer 2 capacity. Either that, or it starts to mess with the routing table or even introduces dumb routing rules like block all traffic by default. Once again, these are just guesses based on my limited knowledge of what the GameFirst III software actually does.

The same thing happens to me, exactly to the letter. The network comes up as "unidentified network". It would be nice for the moderators or Asus tech support folks that actually do read this to at least come forth and say one of the following:

1. Oh this is a problem? We didn't know. We'll get on it.
2. This is a known problem we are working on it.
3. It isn't our software, go bug the manufacturer.

Some kind of response would be awesome!
Panteks Enthoo Elite / Asus x299 Rampage VI Extreme / Intel I9-7900X / Corsair Dominator RGB 3200MHz

Dennis_L
Level 7
Still waiting

SpaceNinjaPirat
Level 7
Gonna add a "me too" on this one because I still see there's nothing new posted and still no new word about whether anyone at Asus even considers this an issue.

Well i have posted on Twitter and I have emailed Tech support about this issue. We'll see if either of those gets some answers. At this point I'm getting ready to build a new office computer that is going to require some high end items for rendering and was considering the Asus Forumla motherboard, but after having similar issues with the lack of support for my Asus video card, I'm strongly considering moving to an MSI board, which would be a shame because I have had Asus in my computer for the last 10 years. Sadly I'm getting very frustrated at the little things like this that seemingly take forever to get resolved if at all.

Brighttail
Level 11
This is one of the reasons I bought the Hero VII was for this feature and not only does it NOT work, but ASUS isn't even acknowledging this fact. They are ignoring our repeated questions about this software in the forums which they are supposed to read and patrol. I called customer service and the poor guy on the other end of the phone had no idea what I was talking about. So i guess Asus doesn't care and I'm shocked at this level of indifference. 😞

Tokens210
Level 10
Gamefirst is just the GUI you use to shape the traffic as far as I know, the internet adapter is Intel and the software game first runs is Intel related speedcos or something software for their adapters, gamefirst is just Asus's user interface

I'm running the rig in my Sig although I'm currently running a VI series so I have gamefirst II I believe, gamefirst works flawlessly perfect example, I was downloading defiance a 20+GB game, was downloading at 2mb per second, opened gamefirst and set the downloader to highest priority it immediately jumped to 20mb per second

I also have a home networks so I can access my music movies and pictures on all PCs in my household which works fine even with gamefirst

Also an FYI, your board only came with the version that it shipped with, if you clicked the popup saying there was an update and downloaded that without paying that could be an issue, also if you tried downloading a newer version from a different series of board that could also be an issue
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo

Brighttail
Level 11
Hey Tokens, thanks for your input. I have downloaded all the latest internet LAN drivers and appropriate drivers from Intel and Asus for this motherboard and have looked for any new updates for Gamefirst III which there are not.

I did FINALLY get a response from Asus Tech Support via email and the first thing he wanted me to do was to uninstall the software and completely remove my motherboard from the case and put it on a box?? The only reason you do this is to make sure there isn't some sort of short coming from the case. I'm very surprised at this "advice" as it is not a "shorting" issue, for if it was, then you have about 20-30 other users who have posted who all have the same issues, which is frankly at the low end of probability. But at least it is a response, so I guess that it is a start.

After 10+ years of using Asus equipment and dealing with fairly good customer service through the years, I have to say I'm frankly very disappointed in how this issue has been handled, well not handled basically. Personally I'm getting the impression that no one at Asus really cares about this particular issue for it has taken over 30 days to get even a response, still not a single person from Asus has posted on the ROG forums about it and the fact that they want me to disassemble my computer to take the motherboard out to test a software issue.

I understand the frustrations, hopefully they will address it at some point for you guys and not treat it like the frozen bios issues on the VI series boards (which if you never heard of this issue you can look on the maximus vi series thread and have a good laugh lol) and I know my response wasn't like a fix or anything others may have been looking for i was just simply putting it out there that from what ive seen playing with my gamefirst II was that gamefirst is just the interface, the adapter itself is Intel and the software actually running under gamefirst is speedcos or something like that so I personally would allow rog a little wiggle room for now as it may be gamefirst or it may be one of the other pieces of software or hardware

Again this isn't a fix or anything you'd would love but at least your topic hasent been buried and hopefully you'll get some answers

As for them not caring I personally believed from other things I've seen like the bios clock issues, it seems like recently communication between the Asus teams is lacking, where customer support won't know about issues and won't know anything to tell you except basic troubleshooting like rebooting and such which 90% of us do before we would call lol

Apologies on any crazy misspellings or anything lol recently my phone has decided to autocorrect words spelled correctly with gibberish lol
CoolerMaster HAF 932 Advanced/ Maximus VI Formula/ I7-4770K/Swiftech H320/ Corsair HX850/ G.Skill Trident X (2x8) 16gb 2400MHz/ 2x 840 EVO 120gb(Raid 0)/ WD 1TB HDD (Backup/Storage)/ EVGA GTX 1gb 560 TI/ Asus 12x bluray combo