cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which SSD's in G751 and what can you replace them with?

kennycol
Level 7
I'm looking between the G751JT-CH71 and the G751JT-DH72. Both have the GTX 970M and a 1TB HDD but the DH72 comes with 256GB SSD (2 128GB SSD's in RAID0). From what I've read the SSD's are PCIe M.2 format , which gives them a higher max theoretical speed than you can get with SATA3.

What are the brand and model of the SSD's that are shipping in the G751's that have SSD's and what are their read and write speeds?

Which PCIe M.2 SSD's can we put in this laptop and will we get full speed out of them? Can we throw in two of them and run them in RAID 0 like is being done with the stock 128GB drives in the DH72? Can we toss in two PCIe M.2 SSD's in the CH71 and will they work (and be able to run them in RIAD 0) without adding any other hardware?

Can we throw in aftermarket drives like the SAMSUNG XP941 and get full speed from them?

Thanks for any info people might have!
85 REPLIES 85

X-ROG
Level 15
> There's only 1x M.2 slot, the other SSD will be SATA3 based for RAID 0. Personally I would not bother choosing the RAID 0 option, just pick the 1x M.2 SSD option and leave the other space for a large storage HDD.
> We don't ever state brand of M.2 SSD installed because it varies of the life of the product as SSD supply is never guaranteed and sometimes retailers add their own to create a unique G series SKU for their store. Best contact your retailer to check this exactly.
> The G751JT I have on hand has a 256GB XP941 installed. AS SSD numbers are 1115/739 r/w from one of the 128GB partitions.

WhiteEyeDoll
Level 7
Hey MarshallR,

Can you tell if the ODD in G751JY is replaceable with 12,7 mm slimline caddy to achieve total of 3 ssd/hdd slots.

Also if it is, is the ODD easily removable by unscrewing one screw under the upgrade hatch and sliding the caddy out?

Edit: And is the ODD connected via SATA II or III?
"Nope!"

-WhiteEyeDoll, since forever

kennycol
Level 7
Thanks for the info! Just for clarification...

You say that there is 1x M.2 slot...do you mean that just one of the bays is M.2? Or am I just misunderstanding the way PCIe M.2 works? From what it looks like from pictures I've seen (and from all the specs of all the models that ship with SSD's in the machine) there are two drive bays...one has the normal 2.5" SATA3 connection (that ships with a 1TB HDD) and the other has room for two PCIe M.2 cards. The PCIe M.2 bay with two slots is where the G751's with SSD's come with two PCIe M.2 cards in a RAID 0 array, no?

What I would like to know is for a G751 that comes without the SSD drives, will I still have two PCIe M.2 card slots available to me and do I get the full bandwidth of PCIe M.2 (10Gbit/s I think) for each of those cards? Can I have two in there in RAID 0? Can I have two in there and leave them as individual drives?

Someone posted in another thread (that you had responded to earlier Marshall) that "The M.2 slot in the G751JY is achieved via SATA adapter card that takes up one of the two 2,5" slots." ("http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?52551-Pcie-ssd). I really hope that that isn't correct...that the M.2 slot isn't just an adapter on a SATA port. That would limit the bandwidth to SATA3's 6Gbit/s bandwidth rather than the 10Gbit/s you'd get from a true PCIe M.2 port. And the fact that Marshall above posted that the G751 he has on hand has Samsung XP941 SSD's in it definitely strongly suggests that it's a true PCIe M.2 port. It wouldn't make any sense to use that card in a slower SATA3 port (assuming it's compatible...which I haven't looked at). And Marshall said that the "SSD numbers are 1115/739 r/w from one of the 128GB partitions" which is much higher than the 550 that you usually see for read speeds from SATA3 drives.

X-ROG
Level 15
One of the bays has a dual slot: SATA and M.2. I'll be putting pictures up next week.

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
One of the bays has a dual slot: SATA and M.2. I'll be putting pictures up next week.

But is the M.2 handled via SATA or PCIE protocol?
"Nope!"

-WhiteEyeDoll, since forever

WhiteEyeDoll wrote:
But is the M.2 handled via SATA or PCIE protocol?

PCIE x4

Sweet! That's what I was hoping/assuming. And even for the G751's that don't ship with SSD's it will still have two ports to plug in PCIe M.2 cards? And will we be able to run those in RAID 0 or as individual drives?

Thanks for all the info Marshall!

kennycol wrote:
Sweet! That's what I was hoping/assuming. And even for the G751's that don't ship with SSD's it will still have two ports to plug in PCIe M.2 cards? And will we be able to run those in RAID 0 or as individual drives?

Thanks for all the info Marshall!

I would also like and answer on the question about the g751 that dosnt ship with the m.2 ssd, if i could buy one later.

kennycol
Level 7
Oh, also...Marshall you mentioned in another thread that you had to have an adapter for plugging in the PCIe M.2 cards and that you didn't think that the G751's that shipped without the SSD's would have that adapter...do you happen to know if we'll be able to buy that adapter separately? And will it be available soon?

I'd hate to buy a G751 without SSD's and buy a PCIe M.2 card or two along with it...then be left without a way to plug them in. That would be a total bummer.