Monitor55" UHDR 4K TV
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 EVO M.2 NVME 500GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 951 M.2 PCIe AHCI 512GB
    CPU CoolerNZXT kRAKEN X62
    CaseCOOLERMASTER MAKER 5T
    Power SupplyCORSAIR RM850X
    Keyboard LOGITECH K850 WIRELESS BACKLIT
    Mouse LOGITECH M570 TRACKBALL WIRELESS
    Headset 2.4GHz Wireless Headphones with Detachable Mic and Rechargeable Battery
    Mouse Pad LOLOLOLOLOLOL....
    Headset/Speakers VIZIO SOUND BAR, SUBWOOFER AND SURROUND SPEAKERS
    OS WIN 10 PRO

ok, for several of you who have questions, here is how i did it. first i bought a samsung evo 1tb ssd, and took it out of its case. then i took the pcie ssd drive off of the bracket. under the bracket was two sticky tabs, that i used to bufferthe bottom of the pcie drive on the bottom of the drive bay. i plugged in the pcie drive, with no bracket, and put the sticky tabs under it for support. then i placed the 1 tb sata ssd into its slot on top of the pcie ssd, with only a slight piece of electrical tape between the two drives for separation. then i taped the outward edge of the sata ssd to the bottom of the drive bay laterally, and ran another piece of electrical tape along the bottom of the drive bay in the opposite direction over the first one, so it will not become loose. the two drives work perfectly together, and i can put four drives in the notebook now. i have a crucial m100 in the second drive bay, and am thinking about putting another ssd in the blueray bay, as i almost never use the blueray drive for anything.
    Last edited by AQUASTEVAE; 06-06-2015 at 05:57 AM.
    CoolerMaster Maker 5T - ASUS CROSSHAIR VI EXTREME - 55-inch UHD 4k Display - AMD Ryzen 7 1700 - NZXT Kraken X62 - 7 CoolerMaster/NZXT RGB Case Fans W/ HUE+ - Gigabyte AORUS 1080 TI EXTREME - 32GB GSkill FlareX 3200Mhz DDR4 - Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Samsung 951 M.2 AHCI 512GB - Samsung EVO 840 1TB SSD - Crucial MX100 SATA 3 500GB SSD - WD BLUE 8TB HDD - Logitech K350 wireless wave keyboard - Logitech M570 wireless trackball - Dual booting WIN 10 Pro Fall Creators Edition

ROG Member Array

@Edweird

Hi,

here you can buy the M.2 bracket :

http://www.asusparts.eu/en/Asus-13NB06F1M04011

Best regards from Germany
    Reddeer2015

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Holy... thank you so much! There's a lot of people that want this. Now to find that tape they use to prop up the M.2 drive. With shipping, that comes to over 30 euro for me, quite expensive for a bit of metal
    Last edited by Edweird; 06-06-2015 at 10:54 AM.

ROG Member Array

Yes, it's expensive but it is the only place to buy it at the moment.

Where do you live ?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Bulgaria
    (I'm not sure why my Country/Region did not show up on my last post.)
    The price is actually more than my daily wage and I get almost three times the minimum pay.
    That's not that bad when you think about it but setting money aside is hard enough even without wanting to buy upgrades for your already expensive laptop. Still, thank you for the link, it will help out a lot of people on this forum.

Rep given accordingly.
    Last edited by Edweird; 06-06-2015 at 11:05 AM.

ROG Member Array

It's a little bit crazy with this Asus Parts Shop, because you ( Bulgaria ) and I ( Germany ) have to pay more, than buyers from the U.S..
    The shop is located in Sweden . Very strange !

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by Space Paste View Post
    Unless pictures are posted showing how that setup appears, it's hard to say what was done to accomplish a full 2.5" SSD + M.2 SSD setup.

I don't know if you've seen other solutions on this forum, but a common one I'm starting to see is purchasing a Samsung 850 EVO no bigger than 256 GB due to the small form factor of the PCB, removing it from its shell and inserting it directly into the SATA III connector. The size of the 2.5" drive when stripped from its shell will leave the M.2 SSD with breathing room of its own. One user reported that the connection seemed like a solid fit and did not feel the need to modify the M.2 SSD caddy to fasten the stripped 2.5" SSD with screws.

If you don't need a SATA III 2.5" SSD beyond 256 GB then that might be your best bet.
    @Space Paste - I didn't do M.2 over 2.5' drive, it was done by @freelancer85 and he's posted an image of how he did it in this same thread page #8 and you can see the image he's shared here as well. @Freelancer85 was kind enough to quickly respond to share few more details on how much bandwidth he's got in M.2 and 2.5' ssd below that in the SAME BAY in pages #8, 9 and 10. He was the 1st to have both in SAME BAY I believe shared his experience and I've ordered G751JT from costco.com after his confirmation, just to the laptop 2 days back. He just used some regular Tape to separate them.

Issue is, when I try to use the same way the M.2 drive is slightly slanting ontop of 2.5' ssd, I don't want to start the laptop having the M.2 drive like this way, wanted to check how he's done it. Looks like he's not seen mail from this forum last few days, so no response.

But, I'm glad we've lot of folks using G751 following / subscribed to this thread, got lot of suggestions now. Being the 2nd BAY is just SATA 2, I badly want to go with the way @Freelancer85 has done it, both 2.5' ssd and M.2 ssd in the SAME BAY, without breaking the M.2. More suggestions r welcome, I'm really new to M.2 and not done anything like suggested by others (ripping the shell of 2.5' ssd which might void the warranty of 2.5' ssd as well.

There seems to be yet another issue.

Attachment 49682

Attachment 49683

Attachment 49684

My GT-CH71 doesn't have a M.2 connector. I was just wondering is it possible to still fix a M.2 ssd or it's not advisable, in which case I just've to return it.

Also, i just saw in another thread this model in some batch doesn't come with the M.2 connector and some has it. Is there a list we've comes with M.2 connector or it's just by luck, especially for GT-CH71.
    Last edited by jinishans; 06-07-2015 at 03:58 AM.

ROG Member Array

Hello guys,

I bought the M.2 bracket on this online shop: http://www.asusparts.eu/it/Asus-13NB06F1M04011
    I am a lucky owner of a G751JY (Italian model) with the empty M.2 socket. For this reason I bought the specific socket, I mounted it and now I am waiting for a good offer about the Samsung XP941 256GB.
    The "nice" thing is that is possible to mount the Sandisk SSD SATAIII 128GB without any frame (only the logic part) with the M.2 bracket.

ROG Member Array Space Paste PC Specs
    Space Paste PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G751JY-DH71
    MotherboardASUS SABERTOOTH X58
    Processori7 950 @ 3.07 GHz
    Memory (part number)G.SKILL F3-12800CL9-4GBRL
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 770 SuperClocked 4GB
    Sound CardCreative Sound Blaster ZxR
    MonitorASUS VG278H
    Storage #1Corsair Neutron GTX SSD 240 GB
    Storage #2Western Digital Caviar Blue 640 GB
    CPU CoolerZALMAN CNPS9900MAX-R
    CaseCooler Master HAF X
    Keyboard Razer BlackWidow
    Mouse Razer DeathAdder Chroma
    Headset Sennheiser G4ME ZERO
    OS Windows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC87U
    Accessory #1 Logitech HD Pro Webcam C920

Quote Originally Posted by jinishans View Post
    @Space Paste - I didn't do M.2 over 2.5' drive, it was done by @freelancer85 and he's posted an image of how he did it in this same thread page #8 and you can see the image he's shared here as well. @Freelancer85 was kind enough to quickly respond to share few more details on how much bandwidth he's got in M.2 and 2.5' ssd below that in the SAME BAY in pages #8, 9 and 10. He was the 1st to have both in SAME BAY I believe shared his experience and I've ordered G751JT from costco.com after his confirmation, just to the laptop 2 days back. He just used some regular Tape to separate them.

Issue is, when I try to use the same way the M.2 drive is slightly slanting ontop of 2.5' ssd, I don't want to start the laptop having the M.2 drive like this way, wanted to check how he's done it. Looks like he's not seen mail from this forum last few days, so no response.

But, I'm glad we've lot of folks using G751 following / subscribed to this thread, got lot of suggestions now. Being the 2nd BAY is just SATA 2, I badly want to go with the way @Freelancer85 has done it, both 2.5' ssd and M.2 ssd in the SAME BAY, without breaking the M.2. More suggestions r welcome, I'm really new to M.2 and not done anything like suggested by others (ripping the shell of 2.5' ssd which might void the warranty of 2.5' ssd as well.
    Oh, you're right. I forgot about those pictures a few pages back; my bad. It looks somewhat clean, but I don't trust myself to accomplish the same thing with that much tape. That, plus I don't think it would be good to use that much in the first place, but what do I know. I guess I just hate tape. lol

I'm curious if it's possible to fabricate a ventilation-friendly solution for a M.2 SSD + 1TB SSD in the same bay that doesn't require obtrusive modifications, or if it's been done already.

Quote Originally Posted by jinishans View Post
    There seems to be yet another issue.

My GT-CH71 doesn't have a M.2 connector. I was just wondering is it possible to still fix a M.2 ssd or it's not advisable, in which case I just've to return it.

Also, i just saw in another thread this model in some batch doesn't come with the M.2 connector and some has it. Is there a list we've comes with M.2 connector or it's just by luck, especially for GT-CH71.
    Yikes...I think you're unlucky. It appears to be random and I don't think there is a specific model where the M.2 connector is guaranteed to be absent. Edweird was one of the fortunate owners to receive one in a G751JY-T7065D post RMA. I believe some have the connector fresh out of the box, too. Who knows why they're not being built consistently.

I'd return it and, if possible and you have the money to spare, go for a model that comes with an M.2 drive.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by kalo86 View Post
    Hello guys,

I bought the M.2 bracket on this online shop: http://www.asusparts.eu/it/Asus-13NB06F1M04011
    I am a lucky owner of a G751JY (Italian model) with the empty M.2 socket. For this reason I bought the specific socket, I mounted it and now I am waiting for a good offer about the Samsung XP941 256GB.
    The "nice" thing is that is possible to mount the Sandisk SSD SATAIII 128GB without any frame (only the logic part) with the M.2 bracket.
    Has anyone whose G751JY came without any SSD managed to get an SSD working in the M.2 socket on PCIE?
    Mine came with 1TB HDD only, I haven't opened the user accessible area yet but I'm thinking of purchasing an M.2 SSD but want to make sure it's possible to get it working first. Any recommendations in terms of brand/model?

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast