Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

Hey guys so i just bought the G751JY-WH71(WX) from newegg last week that comes with 128gb SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM drives... i went ahead and bought the following SSD:

Samsung 500GB 850 Evo M.2 SSD from here

Thing is.... i`m not seeing it in my BIOS at all... i spent about 15 minutes in the bios disabling and enabling stuff to see if anything would happen....NOTHING!!!!

also im not seeing this option in me BIOSClick image for larger version. 

Name:	99.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	633.5 KB 
ID:	53874 this is screenshot from a youtube video showcasing the G751JY-DH71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjzKO4HfQQ

can someone please help me
    ASUS G74SX-XT1

New ROGer Array

Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300

Hi everyone. Newbie Alert- I have just ordered a ASUS G751JT-T7250H. It comes with a 1TB HD and a 128GB SSD. Can I simply swap the 128GB SSD for a Kingston Digital 480GB SSDNow V300 upgrade kit (using the kit included)? Thanks.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by kenrom View Post
    Hey guys so i just bought the G751JY-WH71(WX) from newegg last week that comes with 128gb SSD + 1 TB 7200RPM drives... i went ahead and bought the following SSD:

Samsung 500GB 850 Evo M.2 SSD from here

Thing is.... i`m not seeing it in my BIOS at all... i spent about 15 minutes in the bios disabling and enabling stuff to see if anything would happen....NOTHING!!!!

also im not seeing this option in me BIOSClick image for larger version. 

Name:	99.PNG 
Views:	25 
Size:	633.5 KB 
ID:	53874 this is screenshot from a youtube video showcasing the G751JY-DH71

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akjzKO4HfQQ

can someone please help me
    First, have you updated your bios? Update 206 states it adds a second PCIe SSD
    http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASU...Desk_Download/

Of course I recommend updating to 211 (the latest)

If you watch the video, you can pause it and get the part number of the installed SSD. It turns out it's a Gen 2 AHCI/PCIe based ssd. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147366

The ssd you bought is a sata based ssd. That could have some thing to do with it. It can get confusing, but there are
    nvme/pcie ssd's (newest), Gen 3
    ahci/pcie ssd's (middle), Gen 2
    or ahci/sata ssd's (older, even though it fits in the same m.2 slot) if I'm not mistaken, all variations can come in the form of a m.2 slot.

motherboards (or bios, or efi) these days are either going to support ahci or nvme or both. If both are available you'd have to set the right one as active from within the bios/efi. (nvme is starting to become more available. nvme is faster than ahci)
    the drive itself will be nvme/pcie, ahci/pcie, or ahci/sata based (pcie either way is faster than sata)

I'm not quite sure what motherboards or slots are cross compatible, (as far as the m.2 slot goes) but I'd say it's safe to say that if you bought an ahci/pcie ssd (non sata) it would be compatible. I'm not sure if a Gen 3 nvme/pcie ssd would work or not for this particular pc. My guess is it would not since the motherboard doesn't support nvme.
    Last edited by SergeantJay; 12-04-2015 at 04:56 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

G752 / SM951 AHCI Question

Background
    1. I originally bought a GL752VW but returned it because of all the M.2 incompatibility BS with that model and because I found an attractively priced alternative...
    2. I ordered a G752JT-WH71 - due in about 5 days - with an empty left hard drive bay and an HDD in the right bay.
    3. To fill the left bay, I also ordered a Samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI SSD, which I am going to install myself.
    4. I do not have a purchased licensed copy of Windows. I am relying on the OEM installation of Windows on the ordered laptop.

Assumptions
    1. Based on reading this forum, due to a known problem with Windows / AHCI, various methods of cloning the existing HHD to the new SSD will not work. This problem is so prevalent that it is cited on the AHCI Wikipedia page. Therefore, I need to do a fresh install of Win 10 on the SSD - not clone Win 8.1 to the SSD and upgrade to Win 10. A fresh install will be cleaner anyways, especially considering the need to upgrade Windows.
    2. While Windows 10 media can be downloaded from the MS website, it will not function without a valid Product Key (activation code).
    3. Based on my experience with the prior GL752VW, the OEM installation of Windows 8.1 on the laptop will not have a Product Key injected in the BIOS for retrieval and use.

Question

If I need a Product Key to install and activate Windows 10 and the laptop doesn't include a Product Key, what do I do? I'm hoping someone here has done this before and can tell me that either my assumptions are wrong or it's a simple fix.

The way I see it, one of Microsoft or ASUS will need to help me out here, because if not:
    1. Microsoft is sending a message that Windows does not support upgrading OEM laptops with AHCI complainant hardware, and
    2. ASUS didn't really sell me an upgradable laptop with an OS. They sold me an upgradable laptop without an OS or a laptop with an OS that cannot be upgraded.

Thanks in advance!

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by jbayko View Post
    Background
    1. I originally bought a GL752VW but returned it because of all the M.2 incompatibility BS with that model and because I found an attractively priced alternative...
    2. I ordered a G752JT-WH71 - due in about 5 days - with an empty left hard drive bay and an HDD in the right bay.
    3. To fill the left bay, I also ordered a Samsung SM951 PCIe AHCI SSD, which I am going to install myself.
    4. I do not have a purchased licensed copy of Windows. I am relying on the OEM installation of Windows on the ordered laptop.

Assumptions
    1. Based on reading this forum, due to a known problem with Windows / AHCI, various methods of cloning the existing HHD to the new SSD will not work. This problem is so prevalent that it is cited on the AHCI Wikipedia page. Therefore, I need to do a fresh install of Win 10 on the SSD - not clone Win 8.1 to the SSD and upgrade to Win 10. A fresh install will be cleaner anyways, especially considering the need to upgrade Windows.
    2. While Windows 10 media can be downloaded from the MS website, it will not function without a valid Product Key (activation code).
    3. Based on my experience with the prior GL752VW, the OEM installation of Windows 8.1 on the laptop will not have a Product Key injected in the BIOS for retrieval and use.

Question

If I need a Product Key to install and activate Windows 10 and the laptop doesn't include a Product Key, what do I do? I'm hoping someone here has done this before and can tell me that either my assumptions are wrong or it's a simple fix.

The way I see it, one of Microsoft or ASUS will need to help me out here, because if not:
    1. Microsoft is sending a message that Windows does not support upgrading OEM laptops with AHCI complainant hardware, and
    2. ASUS didn't really sell me an upgradable laptop with an OS. They sold me an upgradable laptop without an OS or a laptop with an OS that cannot be upgraded.

Thanks in advance!
    Let me try to make it simple.
    Upgrade your 8.1 to 10 on the original drive. start win 10 and connect to the internet download some updates and verify it.
    I actually wrote the first win 10 upgrade guide on here just no one ever stickied it so you can follow what applies to you here
    https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthrea...l-simple-guide
    like the command wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey.
    Once you have upgraded and connected you will be verified for win 10 and when you install the CORRECT edition on a new drive from usb and connect to the internet it will register. You could also use a program to grab your win 10 product key once its installed.
    3d printed parts and accessories for the G751. You know you want something better than OEM ->https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aeolisio

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    Upgrade your 8.1 to 10 on the original drive. start win 10 and connect to the internet download some updates and verify it.
    I actually wrote the first win 10 upgrade guide on here just no one ever stickied it so you can follow what applies to you here
    Once you have upgraded and connected you will be verified for win 10 and when you install the CORRECT edition on a new drive from usb and connect to the internet it will register. You could also use a program to grab your win 10 product key once its installed.
    Awesome...thank you for the quick reply! Hopefully this goes pretty smoothly.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by SergeantJay View Post
    First, have you updated your bios? Update 206 states it adds a second PCIe SSD
    http://www.asus.com/us/Notebooks/ASU...Desk_Download/

Of course I recommend updating to 211 (the latest)

If you watch the video, you can pause it and get the part number of the installed SSD. It turns out it's a Gen 2 AHCI/PCIe based ssd. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147366

The ssd you bought is a sata based ssd. That could have some thing to do with it. It can get confusing, but there are
    nvme/pcie ssd's (newest), Gen 3
    ahci/pcie ssd's (middle), Gen 2
    or ahci/sata ssd's (older, even though it fits in the same m.2 slot) if I'm not mistaken, all variations can come in the form of a m.2 slot.

motherboards (or bios, or efi) these days are either going to support ahci or nvme or both. If both are available you'd have to set the right one as active from within the bios/efi. (nvme is starting to become more available. nvme is faster than ahci)
    the drive itself will be nvme/pcie, ahci/pcie, or ahci/sata based (pcie either way is faster than sata)

I'm not quite sure what motherboards or slots are cross compatible, (as far as the m.2 slot goes) but I'd say it's safe to say that if you bought an ahci/pcie ssd (non sata) it would be compatible. I'm not sure if a Gen 3 nvme/pcie ssd would work or not for this particular pc. My guess is it would not since the motherboard doesn't support nvme.

Thank you very much for the info
    ASUS G74SX-XT1

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by aeolisio View Post
    Okay, so the laptop unexpectedly came with Win 10 installed, not Win 8.1. I think Win 8.1 was on a different build I was considering ordering

Now I'm not sure what to do anymore, since I cannot take the simple approach you suggested of upgrading from Windows 8.1 to 10. Any suggestions?

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Any one with the G751JY notebook that has the OEM Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD & wants to upgrade their system to the faster OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD you will have to swap out drives (install SM951 into PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD slot first and do a usb flash clean install of either Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, then install ASUS G751JY notebook drivers in order to successfully upgrade your G751JY's XP941 PCIe x4 lanes AHCI M.2 Gen 2 SSD to the SM951 PCIe x4 lanes AHCI M.2 Gen 3 SSD.
    I unsuccessfully tried to clone contents of my 256GB Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes OS SSD to a new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD via a BPlus U3M2M external PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD to USB 3.0 Adapter/enclosure using paid version of EaseUs Todo Backup Home 9.0 ( recommended on the Ramcity website with instructions on how to clone contents of your system drive to an OEM Samsung XP941 AHCI PCIe x4 lanes M.2 SSD ) and the clone failed at 9 - 20 minutes into it 3 times in a row. I have the latest BIOS 211 on my G751JY notebook using Windows 8.1 OS and wanted to keep my steam games, etc. from the D: Data partition on the 256GB Samsung XP941 SSD & simply clone it all over to the new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 SSD but no luck! The new 512GB OEM Samsung SM951 AHCI SSD was even correctly initialized & GPT formatted prior to the failed clone. Perhaps the clone would work to another Gen 2 Samsung XP941 PCIe M.2 AHCI SSD but not to a Gen 3 Samsung SM951 PCIe M.2 AHCI SSD.
    I had to remove the 256GB Samsung XP941 OS SSD first, then install the new 512GB Samsung SM951 SSD, boot notebook to UEFI Windows 10 64-bit usb flash and clean install Windows, then I installed ASUS G751JY notebook drivers to SM951 to successfully upgrade G751JY M.2 SSD & get it all working.
    Last edited by Jon G; 04-04-2016 at 03:17 AM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array kidfromhell's Avatar

Hey guys, I recently upgraded from 750JX to the 751JY-DB71. I bought it off from Amazon and I was surprised to see that it had SM951 256GB installed by default with the regular 1 TB drive. I searched everywhere and I was told that the 751JY comes with a XP941 and I got to see nobody getting a SM951 by default. Is that I'm the only one who got that or did ASUS started using them at the last batch before they moved to the G752 series?

Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19 20 21 LastLast