Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast
    Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
    Different places and a magical adapter...
    Are we speaking about a PCI-Express protocol performance (10Gbit/s) or, as WhiteEyeDoll said, are we living in the paleolithic age (6Gbit/s) ?
    PCIE x4 so at least 20Gbit/s.

For those looking at super-sized M.2 drives - remember you are limited to 2280 so cannot use super long 22110 drives.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Joystick View Post
    Is there a M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 slot even when there is not a M.2 SSD (inside a G751JY) ?
    In my country I see a G751JY version with only 1TB HD and 16GB of RAM, which is really inexpensive. I mean it has the price of a G750JS (a 870m notebook). I'm considering 2 months of hibernation, but I'm scared it could end as the episode "Go God Go" of South Park.
    I am also buying this model and will upgrade the SSD etc myself.

it's a great price, but I can't help thinking that ASUS have really done some head-scratchingly silly stuff with what I hear about the lack of accessibility of half of the RAm slots, the bizzarre partitioning of the hard-drives, and the fact that all models don't include basic things like the M2 adapter. it's really unnecessary, and confusing for the buyers.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Richdog, I don't disagree with your observations but some clarification is warranted.
    The RAM slot design has been present for several generations of this computer. At least now if you order a 16GB you don't get 4x4 (I think some G750s had this), you're guaranteed 2x8, with the accessible slots open.
    The partitioning is for the most part a Microsoft forced design. I attempted repeated clean installs of 8.1 with one partition and the install overrode my attempts and created several partitions.

I totally agree with your comment about the M2 adapter - Hey at LEAST make it available...

New ROGer Array

i bought g751jy without ssd, because i had no other option in my country. I bought m.2 separately and only way to fit it there is with a tape, because i cant get hold of m.2 adapter. I am really disappointed asus.

ROG Enthusiast Array

RedHineY, I'm assuming (and hoping) that the m.2 caddy will become available for purchase from Asus (and 3rd parties) eventually. Until then hopefully we'll be able to rig something up, as I'm planning on doing the same thing you're doing.

If you come up with a good way to secure the card in there, post some pictures for the rest of us.

New ROGer Array

I know this is a rather simple question, but how does one remove the screws to the HD caddy? I've tried multiple smaller screwdrivers, ones I've built my desktop with, but they aren't budging. I don't want to strip them, but I'm afraid I will if I try much further. Can anyone post what screwdriver they used or size? I'd rather purchase a new screwdriver than to strip these small screws.

Helium Chilled Array _ PC Specs
    _ PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G46VW
    MotherboardRampage IV Gene
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-3930K
    Memory (part number)Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (CMD32GX3M4A2133C9)
    Graphics Card #1ROG Matrix GTX 780 Ti
    Sound CardROG SupremeFX III
    MonitorASUS VG248QE with GSync mod
    Storage #1Plextor PX-M2 SSD 120GB
    Storage #2G.Skill Phoenix Blade 480GB PCIe SSD
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Seidon 240M
    CaseCooler Master HAF-X
    Power SupplySeasonic X-750
    Keyboard Corsair K90
    Mouse ROG Gladius
    Headset ROG Orion
    OS Windows 8.1 Update 1
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC66U

Quote Originally Posted by kennycol View Post
    RedHineY, I'm assuming (and hoping) that the m.2 caddy will become available for purchase from Asus (and 3rd parties) eventually. Until then hopefully we'll be able to rig something up, as I'm planning on doing the same thing you're doing.

If you come up with a good way to secure the card in there, post some pictures for the rest of us.
    We're not planning to I'm afraid. 3D printing to the rescue, perhaps.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by MarshallR@ASUS View Post
    We're not planning to I'm afraid. 3D printing to the rescue, perhaps.
    Hmm.. is it me or does this not sound like a response we shouldn't be hearing....

What's the point of giving us a M.2 slot but not give us any means to support it. It would've made more sense just to eliminate this feature to save money on models not shipping with a caddy and M.2 SSD.......... smh....

Guess I'll have to invest a thousand bucks and start selling M.2 Caddys.
    Last edited by bookedirl; 11-18-2014 at 03:23 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Quote Originally Posted by bookedirl View Post
    Guess I'll have to invest a thousand bucks and start selling M.2 Caddys.
    LOL, a friend of mine is a machinist and is equipped to produce metal bracket. I was thinking about the same, since I've got an orignical m.2 bracket in my JY model. Just hope ASUS would not file a copyringht claim on it ;-)
    Last edited by QC_AGENT; 11-21-2014 at 01:10 AM.

New ROGer Array

The drive bay for the 1tb hdd, is it sata II or III?

I want to buy the Samsung 850 pro to replace the hdd, I want to have the 256 gb pcie for os and 1 tb 850 pro for storage. If it not sata III then I'll will stick with the stock hdd.
    Last edited by Kaimeratech; 11-25-2014 at 09:38 AM.

Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast