cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

g751jy Pcie ssd questions

Lubert85
Level 7
Hello!

I have preordered the g751jy in norway, but there is still limited information on the actual product.
The only information on the ssd is that it is 256gb m.2 disk. Is this the pcie version. And does all g751jy ships with a pcie ssd?
And the information i got on the store is that it has only 16gb ram. And i cant find in any other country a g751jy with 16gb.

So im a little frustrated with the lack of information i can find out about it.

🙂
209 REPLIES 209

X-ROG
Level 15
> M.2 slot is PCIE 3.0 x4
> Not all models have M.2 SSD - you must spec if specifically. Please inquire with your place of purchase to know which SSD specifically.
> M.2 is user upgradable but takes up 1x 2.5" drive slot
> The G751 (like G750/G75) has four SO DIMM slots, but only two are user upgradable. 16GB means 2x8GB are preinstalled so you will have 2x SODIMM slots spare for future upgrade (so the datasheet says).
> The datasheet says 10/100 Ethernet - that's wrong, it's Gigabit.
> .ac wireless is the top spec.

Thank you for that fast answer. It says M.2 on the ssd. But somehow i dont trust all the info on the online store. Because all the pictures is also wrong. And like you mentioned. They also had the info about the ethernet adapter wrong. "Sigh" so im hoping its the pcie version. There are no other versiones available for preorder in norway.

X-ROG
Level 15
Contact your point of purchase and get them to read the info on the box itself. If they want your money they should make the effort!

Joystick
Level 7
Is there a M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 slot even when there is not a M.2 SSD (inside a G751JY) ?
In my country I see a G751JY version with only 1TB HD and 16GB of RAM, which is really inexpensive. I mean it has the price of a G750JS (a 870m notebook). I'm considering 2 months of hibernation, but I'm scared it could end as the episode "Go God Go" of South Park.

Joystick wrote:
Is there a M.2 PCIE 3.0 x4 slot even when there is not a M.2 SSD (inside a G751JY) ?
In my country I see a G751JY version with only 1TB HD and 16GB of RAM, which is really inexpensive. I mean it has the price of a G750JS (a 870m notebook). I'm considering 2 months of hibernation, but I'm scared it could end as the episode "Go God Go" of South Park.

I am also buying this model and will upgrade the SSD etc myself.

it's a great price, but I can't help thinking that ASUS have really done some head-scratchingly silly stuff with what I hear about the lack of accessibility of half of the RAm slots, the bizzarre partitioning of the hard-drives, and the fact that all models don't include basic things like the M2 adapter. it's really unnecessary, and confusing for the buyers.

WhiteEyeDoll
Level 7

The M.2 slot in the G751JY is achieved via SATA adapter card that takes up one of the two 2,5" slots.

Because of that the connection is still made over SATA 3.0 and there is bound to be a corresponding bottleneck there.
Imo you're better off getting a standard 2,5" SSD.

FYI: This informative post
"Nope!"

-WhiteEyeDoll, since forever

WhiteEyeDoll wrote:
The M.2 slot in the G751JY is achieved via SATA adapter card that takes up one of the two 2,5" slots.

Because of that the connection is still made over SATA 3.0 and there is bound to be a corresponding bottleneck there.
Imo you're better off getting a standard 2,5" SSD.

FYI: This informative post

Actually they are in different places within the 2.5" slot, so you need an adapter. I don't think the adapter is shipped if you don't buy the M.2 model outright though.

Joystick
Level 7
Different places and a magical adapter... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Are we speaking about a PCI-Express protocol performance (10Gbit/s) or, as WhiteEyeDoll said, are we living in the paleolithic age (6Gbit/s) ?

Joystick wrote:
Different places and a magical adapter... :confused: :confused: :confused:
Are we speaking about a PCI-Express protocol performance (10Gbit/s) or, as WhiteEyeDoll said, are we living in the paleolithic age (6Gbit/s) ?

PCIE x4 so at least 20Gbit/s.

For those looking at super-sized M.2 drives - remember you are limited to 2280 so cannot use super long 22110 drives.