cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

The AnandTech Guide to Video Card Overclocking Software

01_Wolverine
Level 12
Quote:

Meanwhile, overclocking is no longer being shunned by video card manufactures and board partners. Instead, it's acknowledged and used in the marketing and design of many video cards, in hopes of increasing market share and brand reputation. Due to the popularity of overclocking, board partners have embraced these utilities and begun to develop them on their own. Along with developing these utilities, board partners have been marketing custom cooled and factory overclocked models to help increase profit margins, and to help broaden their product offerings as well. Additionally, video cards manufactures have been implementing safety measures to prevent users from easily damaging their video cards. Safety nets, such as the use of dynamic clock speeds and GPU throttling, have made overclocking safer and more accessible to the average user.

This article will not be a guide on how to overclock your video card; instead, we'll be doing a round-up of the utilities that help make overclocking possible. Overclocking with the use of software utilities continues to be the most popular method to date. There are over a dozen utilities that can be used to overclock today’s video cards, but today we'll only be looking at the most popular within our community. These utilities include AMD OverDrive, Sapphire TriXX, ASUS GPU Tweak, EVGA Precision X, and MSI Afterburner. As we delve into these utilities, we’ll be analyzing each of their strengths and weaknesses and discovering what separates them from each other as well. Hopefully this round-up will provide some useful data and help you decide which utility is right for you.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8589/anandtech-guide-to-video-card-overclocking-software
3 REPLIES 3

MeanMachine
Level 13
Interesting article 01 Wolverine and thanks for sharing. I've been using EVGA Precision X till now, and not used some of the functions, till I read the article. Must get round to trying some of the other utilities.:)
MM
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Yeah Mean , variety is the spice of life lol

sk2play
Level 13
ASUS GPU Tweak is being updated very often lately (more than AB from what I can tell).

AB is using the latest Riva Tuner (last remaining company to do so, I think) as the competition felt a sell out to MSI and blackmail business tactics from Riva Tuner to continue its 1st grade support.

Many copy cat utilities will function the same (compatible) using official AMD/nVidia set driver programs to monitor the GPU, CPU, VRAM, TEMP, etc activities. The skins may look similar mostly for familiarity and not copy cat programming.

I personally like AB presently still. I predict ASUS GPU Tweak will compete well in the near future with all their effort. I am sure EVGA Precision will fare well too.
Corsair 500R Case, H110 Hydro, 1200AX PSU, Asus Maximus Hero VI MB, Intel 4770K CPU, Gigabyte GPU GV-N98TWF3OC-6GD, G-Skill Trident 2400MHz 32GB, Crucial M500 960GB SSD, Seagate 6TB HDD x2, Creative SBZ to Denon AVR-4311ci - Infinity Primus 5.1 w/Klipsch Sub XW-300d, HP ZR30w 30" S-IPS LCD, W10 64bit