cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My USB with an ISO file of Windows 7 is not being seen

Randolla
Level 7
I am trying to get an operating system installed on my M2 drive. It is a Samsung XP941. Windows is giving me a message that I can't install to it and something needs to be changed in the BIOS . I have READ EVERYTHING here in the forums related to an M2 and other places as well. What I found is that I need to have an ISO file of Windows 7 Pro 64 bit copied to a USB drive. So I did that. The drive is shown in the BIOS but I don't know how to get it to install Windows. I have changed the boot order to have the USB first and have enabled everything I can think of to no avail.

I am VERY, VERY frustrated and I REALLY COULD USE SOME HELP. My first post was deleted as a duplicate. I have not been able to find a thread here that HAS A SOLUTION. If there is one, please point it out to me. I am new here with the R5E being my first ASUS product.

I really could use some help.

Thanking you all in advance.
5930K @4.5
ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz
29 REPLIES 29

Randolla
Level 7
spamhead wrote:
I have had no problems booting at all from the M.2 Slot. I have taken some screen shots of the M.2 disk speeds and the Raid 0 SSD's.

The Raid 0 SSD's come out slightly quicker but i am not sure you will notice the difference.

What did you have to do to load Windows? I am using Windows 7 and a XP941 and windows is telling me that it can't be installed on that drive and that I may have to change something in the BIOS. I have already changed the auto to M2 and put the XP941 in the first boot order yet no joy. Did you have to install an ISO file of Windows on a USB or DVD to get it to install? Any information would be great.

By the way, I am new here. The R5E is my first ASUS product. I have been a member of the EVGA forums for a few years now.

Thanks in advance for the help.
5930K @4.5
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU

Randolla wrote:
What did you have to do to load Windows? I am using Windows 7 and a XP941 and windows is telling me that it can't be installed on that drive and that I may have to change something in the BIOS. I have already changed the auto to M2 and put the XP941 in the first boot order yet no joy. Did you have to install an ISO file of Windows on a USB or DVD to get it to install? Any information would be great.

By the way, I am new here. The R5E is my first ASUS product. I have been a member of the EVGA forums for a few years now.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Hello

Select your install device with the UEFI prefix. If this doesn't work disable CSM and try this again.

Praz wrote:
Hello

Select your install device with the UEFI prefix. If this doesn't work disable CSM and try this again.

I have tried that but Where is the CSM setting to be disabled?
5930K @4.5
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU

Randolla wrote:
I have tried that but Where is the CSM setting to be disabled?

Navigate to the Boot tab and look under the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) section. Disable the Launch CSM option.

Hi,

First of all, I am new here, the R5E being my first ASUS product. I have been a member of the EVGA forums for a few years now and so some of you may recognize me.

I am building a rig with:
R5E -BIOS 801
Corsair Dominator 3000mz 16 gbs
Intel 5930K
2- EVGA 780 Ti's in SLI
Samsung XP941 M2
Windows 7 Pro 64 bit
and a host of other parts....

I have scoured the posts here and read as much as I can on the internet and I still need a little help.
Can someone who has actually successfully installed Windows 7 on the Samsung XP941 tell me in plain English what settings I need to change and to what? Please include where they are located and the steps needed .

Also please tell me whatever else I need to do. I have downloaded the windows 7 pro 64 bit ISO file and have installed it on a USB stick. But I am not sure what else I need to do. I changed everything I could find to M2 and chose the XP941 to boot first (it is the only drive currently installed) but I am not sure what I need to do to boot from the USB. Do I set it as the boot drive before the XP941? When do I put in the Windows CD if at all?

Please feel free to explain things as if you are talking to an idiot. Don't assume I know what you are talking about. Please explain each step in order and as simple as you can. I do know something about computers having built my X58 system but there is much that I don't know and much that I don't know that I don't know.

If anyone needs the link to the Windows 7 pro 64 bit ISO file, let me know and I will post it later. It is on a different machine and I can't copy and paste it at the moment.

Thank you all in advance. I am looking forward to getting my rig up and running and helping out where I can once I know what the hell I am doing. It may be a while.......

I
5930K @4.5
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU

Hello

All posts consolidated to a single thread.

Thank you Praz
5930K @4.5
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU

So I have good news and bad news:

I was finally able to get Windows to start to install from the USB stick. Originally I used Windows own tool to copy the ISO to the drive and it did not work. I went and used the Rufus tool that is described (and available) in this link:

https://www.ramcity.com.au/blog/how-to-install-windows-8.1-on-the-samsung-xp941-ss/138296

So I put the ISO file and chose the GPT option and it started to load up.

The bad news is that once I got to the screen to choose my language, neither my mouse or keyboard would work even though they had worked before. So I was forced to abort the setup by pressing the reset button. Now I am getting an error message that Windows is corrupted or something yet it was never installed anywhere.

So now I am doing a hard reformat of the drive and starting all over. I hope that it works.

If push comes to shove, does anyone know if I can install Windows on a regular SSD like a Samsung 850 Pro and then clone it to my Samsung XP941 M2?
If so, what is the best way to do so?

I will report back on whether the reformat is successful or not.
5930K @4.5
EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU