cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751 restore CD/flash drive?

MHaensel
Level 7
I'll be buying a G751 soon and installing an SSD I already have. I understand we can use an Asus utility to copy the restore partition from the factory hard drive to a flash drive for reinstalls. What utility will I need, and how big of a flash drive?

Alternatively, are factory restore DVDs available/included?
6 REPLIES 6

WhiteEyeDoll
Level 7
MHaensel wrote:
I'll be buying a G751 soon and installing an SSD I already have. I understand we can use an Asus utility to copy the restore partition from the factory hard drive to a flash drive for reinstalls. What utility will I need, and how big of a flash drive?

But... Manual non-bloated installation takes like an hour (drivers and software included). Why would you need any cloning or recovery utilities?
"Nope!"

-WhiteEyeDoll, since forever

WhiteEyeDoll wrote:
But... Manual non-bloated installation takes like an hour (drivers and software included). Why would you need any cloning or recovery utilities?

WhiteEyeDoll, because you don't end up with the same thing 🙂

The Asus build / recovery gives you a reference point that is the same as Asus has back in support. They can help you from that same shared base.

If you install it yourself, you might miss something in the install - sequence of install and after install tuning / settings will be missing or different.

It takes a lot longer than an hour to do it the first time, especially for the first timer. They will make mistakes, and won't have the patience to do it right, or multiple times to get it right after they figure out what they messed up.

Why go through all the work of building it yourself when the team at Asus that has used all their resources at hand to build and QA have already done it for you.

Asus engineers have gone through many hours of configuration and testing, repeating it again and again, until many more than just 1 person is happy with it.

All done by engineers expert in their fields - with many years of experience - combined it is many times your experience.

From that point of view it seems naive and silly to assume you can do it yourself, and it is 🙂

You won't believe it until it bites you, so why let it bite you?

Use the Asus build, create an Asus Backtracker USB 3.0 16GB flash drive, and spend 5 minutes after restoring uninstalling the Asus tools you don't want.

Even after watching dozens of people with your idea end up burned by it, it is still sad to see another potential failure on the cusp of disaster.

hmscott
Level 12
MHaensel wrote:

MHaensel, gone are the days we can order a set of DVD's, or any other media from Asus, to recover from a lost OS. We only get a recovery partition on the C drive, and we can use F9 to refresh / restore as long as the partitions (there are support partitions too) are still there on the drive.

We can use Asus Backtracker (already installed), and a USB 3.0 16GB flash drive will create a flash recovery drive that will allow us to restore back to out of the box configuration quickly.

Be careful to remove any other USB storage from the laptop before using Asus Backtracker to create the recovery flash drive, some have reported data loss for attached drives.

When you restore, pull out the 2nd Bay drive, or the recovery process will recreate the partitions on it from scratch, as it came out of the box.

A 16GB drive is large enough. At maximum the last Asus Backtracker run I did would only great a 20GB partition maximum even on a 32GB/64GB/256GB USB 3.0 flash drive.

Unless you have a newer USB 3.0 flash drive, you would be wise to test the flash recovery drive before setting it aside. There have been a couple of reports from people that had failed restores from older model flash drives. You can put in a spare 2.5" drive, pulling the other bay drives, and do a test restore to it. Don't test against your only copy of the recovery partition - the original drive - unless you cloned it already - if the restore fails you won't be able to try again to create a flash recovery drive as the recovery partition will be gone.

If you have any questions, patience is key, the first time you might need a little assistance, so post here and someone will help.

Good luck, and let us know how it works out. 🙂

Ozy311
Level 7
Asus BackTracker was not preinstalled on my G751. I'm also looking for a way to get a restorable factory image for long term storage.

Ozy311 wrote:
Asus BackTracker was not preinstalled on my G751. I'm also looking for a way to get a restorable factory image for long term storage.

Ozy311, interesting, you can download the latest versions here:

Here is the latest Asus Backtracker for Windows 8.1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=Backtracker&hashedid=n%2fa

For the G750's we needed a 16GB USB 3.0 flash drive to fit everything, I also 7zip up a copy of c:\eSupport, but it isn't really needed. Asus Backtracker made a 20GB partition on larger flash drives, so a 32GB flash drive would waste a good portion of the drive.

Please let us know if this works on the G751 🙂

RMXM
Level 7
Hey there sorry if I step in with my issue here but I just got the 751 and I had the freeDOS version so bought a win 8.1 dvd and installed it and thinking since it does not have windows preinstalled there is no recovery partition so I deleted the partitions that were there and made 2 I considered I wlould need, from what I have just read I might of deleted a recovery partition? I am very confused and just been using it for a few hours and would really feel bad if did so, would appreciate if anyone could help me out in getting it back if its possible or telling me if it actually was a recovery partition or just an empty one if the model is freeDOS.