cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SOLVED Lost Raid-0 array after setting BIOS to default

broncogr
Level 10
I have seen this mentioned again inside the forum but no answer was given.
I have 2 Raid-0 arrays, one comprised from SSDs for my boot drive and one from normal disks for data.
Every time I set defaults in Bios, reboot and set up everything again, I lose my arrays.
Specifically one of the 2 drives shows as not a member and hence the RAID fails.
This also happens when a new BIOS is flashed as it consequently clears defaults.
Latest mention I have seen for this is here : http://www.overclock.net/t/1510001/asus-rampage-v-extreme-owners-thread/1450#post_23017456

Raja@ASUS, could we please have this issue investigated?
It is a pain to have to set up the arrays again after every BIOS flash or clear CMOS and restore backups.
Thanks

Edit: On Bios 0801 atm, this also happened from flashing to 0801 from 0602
CSM disabled - UEFI boot - Win 8.1
36 REPLIES 36

khassanove
Level 7
Hi,

After a bios flash board settings will reset, I had the previous build with x2 ssd in raid0, and every time I flashed a new bios it will reset, but I only was choosing the raid settings from pch storage config instead of AHCI after a reset and everything gets back to normal

khassanove wrote:
Hi,

After a bios flash board settings will reset, I had the previous build with x2 ssd in raid0, and every time I flashed a new bios it will reset, but I only was choosing the raid settings from pch storage config instead of AHCI after a reset and everything gets back to normal

I am sorry, I don't understand exactly what you are saying..
Except from changing the sata mode to raid what else needs to be done?
Thanks

Chino
Level 15
When you load the optimized defaults or update to another BIOS version, the settings go back to default. AHCI is the default aetting for SATA mode. So naturally you will have to setup your RAID array again. Everything ia working like it is supposed to be.

Chino wrote:
When you load the optimized defaults or update to another BIOS version, the settings go back to default. AHCI is the default aetting for SATA mode. So naturally you will have to setup your RAID array again. Everything ia working like it is supposed to be.

By setting the controller to RAID the array should be visible and functioning as was the case with all my previous ROG boards.
The raid array shouldn't drop as failed

broncogr
Level 10
To clear any confusion that I simply forget to set RAID to the controller here are the exact steps I take:
Load setup defaults
Save and exit bios reboot
Delete to enter bios
Set controller to Raid, disable CSM
Save and exit bios..
From this point on I have no bootable disk.
If I look at the Raid array it shows as failed, having only one member while the other disk shows as not a member.
This happens when having 2 RAID-0 arrays.
Sometimes both show as failed with one member missing and sometimes only my UEFI-boot Win8.1 array shows as failed.

broncogr wrote:

Set controller to Raid, disable CSM

OK, so where did the "disable CSM" come from? I assume you are talking "Compatibility Support Module". After reading the Manual, and doing a thorough search, all that I find about CSM is from Page 3-49 of the manual:

CSM (Compatibility Support Module)
Allows you to configure the CSM (Compatibility Support Module) Hems to fully support the
various VGA, bootable devices and add-on devices for batter compatibility.

Launch CSM [Enabled]
[Auto] The system automatically detects bootable and add-on devices.
[Enabled] For better compatibility, enable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows® UEFI mode.
[Disabled] Disable the CSM to fully support the non-UEFI driver add-on devices or the Windows® UEFI mode.

I do not find anything here that indicates this has anything to do with RAID or that it has to be turned off to be successful.

In fact, when I do this, I am no longer able to enter the BIOS using the DEL or F2 key. Looks like I have to re-set my RAID, again because I will have to clear the CMOS to get back into the BIOS.

SO here is a real question for you: How are you able to get into the "Intel Rapid Storage Technology Option ROM"? I have tried everything I can think of. I am supposed to hit +I but I do not seem to be able to catch it. Should the +I come before the DEL or F2 to enter the BIOS, or should it come after? Is it +I (capital i), or +l (lower case L)

khassanove
Level 7
I'm sorry about my English :D, you are correct, only changing data mode from AHCI to Raid after a reset, but since you're doing that then I see you're problem, it's really strange. I'm sorry I couldn't help.

broncogr
Level 10
Looks like my issue isn't unique as there are more cases popping up : http://www.overclock.net/t/1510001/asus-rampage-v-extreme-owners-thread/1470#post_23019020

Issue must be identified and resolved, any more information needed I will be happy to provide

kossiewossie
Level 7
Motherboard model: Asus Rampage V Extreme

UEFI Version: 0801

CPU:Intel Core i7 5960X 4.5ghz

16gb Corsair Platinum 2800mhz

GPU: TITAN Black Tri-SLI

SSD/HDDs/Optical drives: 850 Pro x 2 Raid 0 | WD black 1.5TB x 2 raid 0 | WD black 2TB x 2 Raid 0 | Samsung XP951 M.2(boot drive)

PSU: AX1500i

USB Devices (model/version number): Razer Blackwidow | Razer Ouroboros

Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q GSYNC |

CPU Cooler: Custom Watercooling loop

PC CASE: Corsair 900D

Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX

Operating system: Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Drivers Installed (include version): latest drivers on Asus support page.

Issue : -

having the same issues since day one,
every time I either update the bios, or cmos reset, it will break 2 of my raid 0's and then ill have to rebuild them and use a recovery tool to make the raids accessible, it can be a real pain, hopefully it will get fixed.

but easy way to repair the raids, is to remake it with the same raid name and Data Stripe Size even tho the bios says you will lose all information on the raid, It isn't correct, and use this tool to search and rewrite the partition table back to the raid, and all your data will be there after a reboot. takes about 5mins. and save you a lot of time transferring files back to it!

TestDisk Download

have raid enabled in the bios, and CSM disabled, But the issues occurs even with CSM enabled.