cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus VI Impact - How do i get Wake On Lan to work?

djda9l
Level 7
Im about to give up on this otherwise simple thing.

It has never been a problem before on other motherboards but this board seems to give me trouble. FIrst of all the LED's on the backpanel does not light up when the system is off, which i believe is required for WOL to work.

I've just updated to the newest bios in case it was a bug that had gotten fixed or something, but it has not helped.

I've followed what this guy has done but it has not worked either.

Im running Windows 7 on the pc though.

What am i missing!?
8 REPLIES 8

djda9l
Level 7
Looks like i should give up.. 😞

djda9l
Level 7
I dont suppose you want me to update my Impact bios with a Gene bios right ?

Nate152
Well no I wouldn't want you to do that, if you are familiar with the bios update procedure by all means update to the latest version for your maximus vi impact, it may help. But try first disabling ErP in the bios if you have it enabled. Under Device Manager make sure you have "Allow this device to wake the system from standby" enabled. Do not turn off the psu switch.

Bios is updated, ErP disabled in bios and Settings in Device Manager is already set, but still not working .. 😞

Hi,

I am experiencing the same Probleme here.
The strange thing is, that I had it working before following the instructions mentioned above.
In between I had a RAID controller installed, which was interfering with the lan controller. So I removed the controller, but didn't get the WOL feature working again.
do I have to setup my network for owl only? Do you have any further suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Edit: maximus vi impact, win 10, fast boot disabled, allow device to wake up pc with magic packet only

I had this issue at a LAN party about a month back. Turns out the stock LAN driver I had was outdated and not working with the board. Downloading and installing the latest Intel lan driver from the website fixed that issue.

If you have W10 then:
Uncheck the option "Turn on fast startup (recommended)" under Control Panel –> Hardware and Sound –> Power Options ->Choose what the power buttons do in windows, and it will work. This is because with the above options the windows do not actually shutdown but go into a hybrid state of hibernation/sleep and cut the power from all "external" components. This means that the ethernet card is not working at all (i checked it from my switch were the led from the specific port when i had this enabled was shut but when i change it the it remained opend).

This state of shutdown is S5 (The system appears to be off. This state is comprised of a full shutdown and boot cycle.) but WOL is supported from sleep (S3) or hibernate (S4). It is not supported from fast startup or soft off (S5) shutdown states. NICs are not armed for wake in these states because users do not expect their systems to wake up on their own.