Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Offset Mode and Adaptive Mode

tistou77
Level 13
Hello

I had never been interested to "Offset Mode", etc ... until today tongue.gif

What is the difference between Offset Mode and Adaptive Mode?
How do to set it (for the offset mode, had to take the "VID", but on this platform...)?

My settings in Manual

I tried the Adaptive Mode, but I make a mistake, it was not booted

Thanks 🙂
Sorry for my english 😄

Case: Lian Li A77F
MB: Rampage VI Extreme Encore
CPU: i9 10980XE
RAM: G.Skill Trident Z RGB Royal 4x8Gb @4000 C16
GPU: EVGA RTX 2080ti XC Ultra
PSU: Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W
DATA: Samsung 980 Pro
SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus
15 REPLIES 15

broncogr
Level 10
Offset adds a specified voltage throughout the frequency range of the processor.
Adaptive adds voltage only to turbo mode.
Find the voltage needed for your overclock first by using manual mode.
After you find that input the same voltage under adaptive

broncogr wrote:
Offset adds a specified voltage throughout the frequency range of the processor.
Adaptive adds voltage only to turbo mode.
Find the voltage needed for your overclock first by using manual mode.
After you find that input the same voltage under adaptive

Not sure about that, I have turbo disabled and one reason I'm trying it is the board keeps adding 0.120v in manual underload and keeps messing up my TDP and stops me getting the most out of my chip.

I tried adaptive and it has several offsets one being for turbo mode and how many volts to assign in that mode (turbo is off) and a cpu offset I just added a CPU offset and the board is still adding additional underload voltage of 0.120v and its driving me insane TURBO IS OFF! This board refuses to give me a stable Vcore voltage. Either in Manual or adaptive I tried setting the Turbo offset to something really low too like 0.001 to try stop this in adaptive but no matter which mode I try manual or offset it keeps giving this behaviour.

LiveOrDie
Level 11
Yer like Broncogr said

Offset adds on top of the normal voltage used by the CPU so even on idle your CPU will be pulling more voltage than needed.
Adaptive does only only affect your turbo clock speed when your turbo kicks in so will the added voltage you can also add a offset for non turbo clocks, But take note never using adaptive for stress testing as some programs can pull more voltage that the set value, When you set your bclk higher than 100 turbo will be disabled meaning adaptive voltage will not work so it should not be used.

tistou77
Level 13
Thank you for your explanations, the Adapatative mode is best for a h24 OC then?

How to set it in the bios?
For the CPU I put

+
auto
1.225v (stable Vcore in manual)

But no boot , this is not good

Thanks
Sorry for my english 😄

Chino
Level 15
These are the settings that you need to change. Input the voltage that you used on manual in the Additional Turbo Mode CPU Core Voltage.

tistou77
Level 13
Ok thanks, I put these settings

For CPU Cache Voltage, the tension in Idle and Load are the same, ~1.22v (Cache Min: 3000 and Cache Max: 4400)

I forgot something?

thanks
Sorry for my english 😄

I know this thread is getting on a bit now but it kept coming up in my search for info on adaptive v offset voltage so I thought I'd add a few comments for others if they arrived here too looking for info.

Firstly, be aware that any offset isn't just +ve, it can also be -ve. Some CPUs , eg the 4790k, can run very hot with a more than generous standard voltage and can be undervolted a fair bit. Chips and therefore your results will vary.

Secondly, in my experience, Offset and Adaptive are essentially the same thing. Both give you the option of changing the stock voltage (up or down) by a pre-determined amount across the voltage range whilst still allowing you to use Intel speed step(EIST), with the voltage adapting accordingly - setting a fixed voltage manually stops speed step doing it's full thing and you get a constant voltage, wasted energy etc etc, although you probable want to use this when trying to find your optimum load voltage when OC'ing..

Although offset is still 'adaptive' in that it adapts the voltage to the load/demand conditions via speedstep that's all it does throughout the full range. The adaptive setting does this too BUT the one difference that the adaptive setting gives you is an additional option to set the turbo mode voltage as an absolute separate figure not affected by the offset.

Therefore it isn't just an offset, it is more adaptive 😄

mhk1058 wrote:
I know this thread is getting on a bit now but it kept coming up in my search for info on adaptive v offset voltage so I thought I'd add a few comments for others if they arrived here too looking for info.

Firstly, be aware that any offset isn't just +ve, it can also be -ve. Some CPUs , eg the 4790k, can run very hot with a more than generous standard voltage and can be undervolted a fair bit. Chips and therefore your results will vary.

Secondly, in my experience, Offset and Adaptive are essentially the same thing. Both give you the option of changing the stock voltage (up or down) by a pre-determined amount across the voltage range whilst still allowing you to use Intel speed step(EIST), with the voltage adapting accordingly - setting a fixed voltage manually stops speed step doing it's full thing and you get a constant voltage, wasted energy etc etc, although you probable want to use this when trying to find your optimum load voltage when OC'ing..

Although offset is still 'adaptive' in that it adapts the voltage to the load/demand conditions via speedstep that's all it does throughout the full range. The adaptive setting does this too BUT the one difference that the adaptive setting gives you is an additional option to set the turbo mode voltage as an absolute separate figure not affected by the offset.

Therefore it isn't just an offset, it is more adaptive 😄

Hello

Offset and adaptive work in distinctly different ways. As you correctly note offset is applied across the entire frequency range. Adaptive mode increases the CPU voltage above the stock VID only when the maximum default multiplier is exceeded. The adaptive mode setting does have the option of using the offset mode in conjunction with adaptive but its inclusion is just an additional option and is not part of the adaptive mode. There are few cases where using offset along with adaptive is advisable.

I think that's pretty much what I said, albeit not quite as clearly as you. They can be used in exactly the same way with the option of applying extra voltage for Turbo mode under adaptive setting. If you don't use this option the offset aspect is exactly the same.