cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about the ASUS ROG GL551JM-DH71

magick
Level 7
I purchased the ROG GL551JM-DH71 off Amazon a couple of days ago. This is the first time I owned a dedicated gaming laptop, and I'm loving it thus far.

I am having two "issues" though, and I'm hoping that someone on this board could help me with them.

1- The laptop charged properly when I first plugged in the power cable. After it reached max charge and sat on it for a good 4 hours or so, I briefly unplugged the cable and re-plugged within minutes. Since then, the battery states "plugged in, not charging", and is currently sitting on 97% charge.

I've done some research on the issue, and the general consensus is either that the battery is dead (extremely unlikely in my case since this is a brand new laptop), or there's an issue with the driver. I plan on operating on the assumption that it is a driver error and re-install it.

If I do this, do I simply just uninstall the battery driver and have the laptop re-detect and install on its own as people say online?

2- This laptop runs warm. At complete idle with 1-2% load (as measured by Core Temp), the CPU temp reads as 36-41C. When I watch youtube videos or just videos in general, the load goes up to 11-15% and the temp reads as 48-52C. When I play Skyrim at max setting, the load goes up to near max and the temp reads 85C+.

Are these all expected CPU temp for this laptop? I find the temp during light load a little high. My old laptop, clogged with dust as it was, read about 53-56C during the same processes. The very same old laptop would reach 85+ with Skyrim as well (albeit with a much lower setting). Regardless, I thought a brand new laptop would run quite a bit cooler.

And is it fine for the CPU to reach 85C within minutes and stay there? Gut guess says no, and that's why I'm hesitant to do anything strenuous with the laptop. Which is really silly given the fact that it IS a gaming laptop. I'm thinking of investing in a good laptop cooling pad, since I would like this laptop to last at least 4 years.

A quick reply would be greatly appreciated. I want to know whether there are any actual issue with my laptop before Amazon's return policy runs out.
7 REPLIES 7

hmscott
Level 12
magick wrote:
I purchased the ROG GL551JM-DH71 off Amazon a couple of days ago. This is the first time I owned a dedicated gaming laptop, and I'm loving it thus far.

I am having two "issues" though, and I'm hoping that someone on this board could help me with them.

1- The laptop charged properly when I first plugged in the power cable. After it reached max charge and sat on it for a good 4 hours or so, I briefly unplugged the cable and re-plugged within minutes. Since then, the battery states "plugged in, not charging", and is currently sitting on 97% charge.

I've done some research on the issue, and the general consensus is either that the battery is dead (extremely unlikely in my case since this is a brand new laptop), or there's an issue with the driver. I plan on operating on the assumption that it is a driver error and re-install it.

If I do this, do I simply just uninstall the battery driver and have the laptop re-detect and install on its own as people say online?

2- This laptop runs warm. At complete idle with 1-2% load (as measured by Core Temp), the CPU temp reads as 36-41C. When I watch youtube videos or just videos in general, the load goes up to 11-15% and the temp reads as 48-52C. When I play Skyrim at max setting, the load goes up to near max and the temp reads 85C+.

Are these all expected CPU temp for this laptop? I find the temp during light load a little high. My old laptop, clogged with dust as it was, read about 53-56C during the same processes. The very same old laptop would reach 85+ with Skyrim as well (albeit with a much lower setting). Regardless, I thought a brand new laptop would run quite a bit cooler.

And is it fine for the CPU to reach 85C within minutes and stay there? Gut guess says no, and that's why I'm hesitant to do anything strenuous with the laptop. Which is really silly given the fact that it IS a gaming laptop. I'm thinking of investing in a good laptop cooling pad, since I would like this laptop to last at least 4 years.

A quick reply would be greatly appreciated. I want to know whether there are any actual issue with my laptop before Amazon's return policy runs out.

magick, holding at 98% charge is normal, the charging circuit in the laptop is making sure to not overcharge and will keep the battery in good condition.

All our ROG laptops do the same. Mine is currently at 98% and was at 99% yesterday, and I leave it plugged in most of the time.

If you use the laptop on battery, and let the battery discharge down, and then plug it back in, it will start charging again.

85c is normal even for a G750JM/JS/JZ - with Optimus the Intel iGPU is enabled and the average temp goes up 10c from the non-Optimus ROG laptops.

That is a small space to keep cool, so the case is going to feel warmer than a larger thicker laptop with more volume to dissipate the heat, so raise it up off the desk and let some air-flow happen around it.

That CPU will start thermal throttling around 95c or so, and it will keep itself running safely even around 100c. So 85c is ok.

You can download, install, and run hwinfo64 Sensors mode and watch for thermal throttling, as long as that doesn't happen, the laptop is keeping itself cool enough to get full performance.

hwinfo64 download - I use the BETA most of the time, I think the release version is currently the newest version.
http://www.hwinfo.com/download.php

Select Sensors Only mode at startup

You get lots of info, so scroll to find what you want to look at, leave it running to catch thermal throttling events.

Use GPU-Z to track GPU temps, view via Sensors tab
http://www.techpowerup.com/downloads/2397/techpowerup-gpu-z-v0-7-9-w-asus-rog-skin/

Please come back and let us know what you find 🙂

magick
Level 7
Thank you so much for your reply!

I worried about the battery because my previous laptop kept draining. The battery basically couldn't build a charge. Obviously that occurred because the battery was old, but I wanted to get some input from here before I made any decision.

The ASUS battery is fine. I let it drain to 80% before I plugged the charger in. It recharges fine.

Regarding the heat-

Ya, I always raise my laptop with two books. One raises the back and another raises the front.

I understand your point about the laptop being able to withstand up to 95C, but wouldn't it be damaging to the laptop to continually run it 85C+? I'm not concerned so much about performance as I am about longevity.

I'm thinking of investing in a good laptop cooling pad for exactly this reason. Even a drop of 5C is substantial afaik.

X-ROG
Level 15
No, they are designed to run high-temp. The thermal design spec is up to 95C.

I am waiting for rog model. please let me know its release date in Dubai???
MarshallR@ASUS wrote:
No, they are designed to run high-temp. The thermal design spec is up to 95C.

Mine reaches 93C

mscoms
Level 7
signal hit pip for gpu and cpu is no good

technomancer
Level 7
I just purchased this laptop GL551JM-DH71, I must know how to completely disable the intel graphics entirely !
HP has this ability, why not ASUS ? Is there a modified BIOS that would accomplish this ? Otherwise this is
a step backwards in technology, just like Win8. I am going to install Win 7 Ultimate64, and dual boot LinuxMint
because Win8 is unusable, unthemeable, and complete spyware. So back on topic, does anyone have information
on how to accomplish this, or shall i start the return process before it even arrives?