cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair V Formula Z Q Code 00 , Boot Device LED, help!

ry71984
Level 7
Hello!

Here's my full specs

Amd FX8350
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z mobo
16gb Kingston Hyper X DDR3 1600 ram (4 sticks of 4gb)
MSI GTX 770
H80i cooler
Corsair RM1000 (1000w) psu.

No overclocking.

Rebooted my PC with all the ram in it, and it's stuck on Q Code 00. If I take all but 1 stick of ram out, and put it in the first slot nearest my CPU it works fine, as I'm using the PC to type this right now with one stick of ram.

Any time I add more, it doesn't go past the bios logo. I try to hit delete on my keyboard (which has LEDs on it to know if it's working properly) it will not go into the bios. I've also seen it say something about updating iRoG firmware, and then it reboots itself and gets stuck on the splash logo again. Sometimes it boots fine and I can get all 4 sticks of ram to work, but its very rare that it lets me go into windows 7.

I've not tested the ram on memtest86 because I can't get into the bios to boot from a different device such as a USB flash drive or a CD.

I've also taken out all the USB storage devices to make sure that it's not interfering with any type of booting sequence.

My rig has been working fine for the last month and a half or so and I'm at a loss for knowing what's wrong. I think it might have something to do with my ram, so I'll be buying some to test that out today. And if it doesn't work i'll be returning it as i know it wasn't the ram that was the problem. PC shop opens in a few hours so i'll not know for a few hours. Thought i'd post this on here to get any ideas.
9 REPLIES 9

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ry71984 and Welcome to ROG

If you can get into your Bios with one DIMM then set to boot from USB and run Memtest86 on that module, power down your system then switch out to another module and test that way, till you find the failing module, if there is one that is failing.

Did your DIMMs come in one kit or have you mixed kits cause that can be problematic?.

You should evaluate your XMP profile using CPUz to set values accordingly in Bios and you may have to increase Dram voltage to suit.

Usually setting D.O.C.P in Bios will set values correctly for you initially, providing your DIMMs are ok.

Should you be successful and stable with these initial settings, you can then go into Advanced Mode for OC and other Bios Tweaks using Xtreme Tweaking (enabled). Other settings can be provided for this, just ask.

Hope this helps and please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

ry71984
Level 7
I'm trying out some corsair ram, and it seems to be working 50% of the time. The other half of the time it's stuck in a boot loop saying something about iRoG firmware updating.

Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x8gb) 2400 speed
New GTX 970 (upgraded by choice)

Seems to work OK when it wants to on my new ram. If I'm patient enough, I see a few "Updating iRoG firmware" and then it might go into windows.

MeanMachine
Level 13
If that iROG firmware update continues to loop you may have to eventually RMA your MB to have it repaired.
iROG is an integrated Circuit for special Bios functionality and many posts I have read have had this endless loop problem.
Some have tried reflashing the Bios using a USB stick and flashing via the ROG flashback port on the IO panel.
Others have not been successful and finished up RMAing the MB to have the corrupted Bios chip replaced.
Please keep us updated should you resolve the issue.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

ry71984
Level 7
I ordered a new bios chip from ebay we'll see how that goes. I'm just going to try that before I RMA it. Thanks for the info.

ry71984
Level 7
New Bios chip came in the mail, didn't do anything different than before. Will be returning it since I bought it at a local PC shop.

ry71984
Level 7
Ended up returning the CPU and the motherboard as I could still return in store. Got it exchanged for the same exact thing and now it's working so far.

ry71984
Level 7
Happens once in awhile but goes into windows. Anyone know of a fix for this? kinda frustrating when you walk away waiting for it to reboot and its stuck in the bootloop.

I don't have anything plugged into the ROG usb in the back

tried different ram
tried a different video card
tried a new CPU
tried another motherboard twice

I have no idea why it's doing it. Anyone have ideas?

dertester
Level 7
Are your ram timings correct? i had such problems with wrong timings/overclocks. Stuck at different Q-Codes or windows hang at first start but days stable when "warm"..

1)Check Ram Settings. Maybe post all your settings here
2)Check cables. I would check connectors and use seperate rails for gpu/mobo/cpu power
3)Could it be that you have a wierd usb device that cant be booted from time to time? Check all the settings for faster booting.
You can also for testing unplug ALL and instert when windows booted

ry71984
Level 7

Cables are connected just fine, double checked to make sure it was snug on this time plugging them in. Also using separate rails for my GPU. I beleive it might have to be something with my USB 3.0 splitter. I'll keep ya posted if I keep getting it to happen, lately it hasn't though.