cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ready to try Offset Voltage on my M7F/4790k build

RickSinGA
Level 11
I am getting ready to try Offset Voltage on my recent M7F/4790k build,

I am running everything in the BIOS the way originally booted, at 4.4GHz, except.

AI Overclock Timer: XMP
XMP DDR3-2401 10-12-12-31-2N-1.64V-1.25V: Profile #1
BCLK Frequency: 100.0
Core ratio Limit: 49
DRAM Frequency: DDR3-2400MHz
CPU Core frequency: 1.271875
DRAM Voltage: 1.65000.

The system runs like a charm with high temp under Prime95 and OCCT of low to mid 70's and in FSX of 50 to 60c.

The only reason for going the offset voltage route is to lower the voltage under light load to help promote CPU longevity.

That being said I am looking for input as to what other settings in the BIOS I should change or be aware of. I have read the "Voltage Offset Usage Guide" in the Guides section. It was written specifically for IV and V motherboards and I suspect that it should be adaptable to the VII boards as well. It is a few years old so there could be some changes, additions or discrepancies?

Anyone care to give me some pointers etc?

Thanks
Rick S

PS: Nope, never tried to go past 4.9GHz; that just seemed fast/safe enough for me.
88 REPLIES 88

Son_of_Altair
Level 9
Hi RickSinGA

I have had experience with offset mode with my CPU a 4930k however the process of setting up offset mode should be universal.
The typical way to overclock your CPU is by using a fixed voltage in MANUAL mode however your CPU does not need to be running at maximum clock speed all the time as it is not power efficient, causes a lot of heat and shortens your CPU lifespan. OFFSET mode is a way to get around this and works by adding or subtracting a voltage to the CPU’s normal operation. The CPU will adjust its Vcore as needed providing more voltage when higher clock speeds are required and less voltage when lower clock speeds are required. If you open up CPU-Z under multiplier there will be your maximum multiplier set by you and then a smaller multiply which is your lowest clock frequency. Under factory settings the CPU will adjust the Vcore to maintain stability for any multiplier value in this range. It this adjustment that we add to, to allow the CPU to reach higher clock speeds.

These are the steps you need to take to set up OFFSET mode from MANUAL mode.

1. Find your maximum overclocked voltage (MAN VCORE)
This will most likely by fixed when using manual mode but to be sure run a stress test and note the Core Voltage (MAN VCORE) in CPU-Z when it is under 100% load. Also take note of your multiplier. This is the core voltage you want offset mode to reach when it’s under load so that stability is maintained.

2. Reset CPU to factory settings
Make sure to save you previous OC profile so that you can revert to it if needed. What you want to do now is find out how the CPU operates under factory settings. The quickest way to do this is to load optimized defaults but depending on how much tweaking you have already done this may not be viable. Reset your CPU settings to factory settings with now overclocking whatsoever.

3. Find the maximum factory voltage (FACT VCORE)
Now stress test the CPU again and make note of the maximum core voltage again (FACT VCORE). This voltage should be lower than your overclocked voltage but it is for a lower multiplier.

4. Determine your offset voltage (OFFSET)
Now it’s a simple case of subtraction:
OFFSET = MAN VCORE – FACT VCORE
The result will be your approximate offset voltage required.

5. BIOS Settings
Go back to your BIOS and change from manual mode to offset mode and ensure that the sign is set to ‘+’. Now enter the OFFSET voltage calculated and set your multiplier. Save and reboot. Be aware that this may not be 100% stable off the bat but it will be close. Run your stress test and observe that the multiplier and core voltage in CPU-Z are close to what you were getting in your manual overclock voltage (MAN VCORE). The core voltage may differ a little which is due to losses and power supply stability that you can’t really do anything about. What you need to do now is tune in your offset voltage by increasing it or decreasing it until it is as close as possible to your MAN VCORE under 100% load.

Your Vcore and multiply should now change dynamically with system load.

Hope this helps
Intel 4930k i7 OC 4.6GHz Offset Mode ~ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition ~ 2x 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 10-12-12-31 ~ Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780ti ~ C: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD ~ 😧 Samsung 840 Evo 750GB SSD ~ Corsair ATX 1200i ~ Corsair 900D ~ Corsair H110 ~ 3x Corsair SP120 Red LED fans ~ 6x Corsair SP140 Red LED fans

RickSinGA
Level 11
Thanks SoA, your suggestion may prove me well but.... when I didn't get any quick response I went into the BIOS a little while ago, changed to Offset Mode, and now I can't get back into the BIOS?

I changed it to Offset Mode and thought I needed to reboot before making changes. So.... being the brilliant idiot I am, I saved the new profile and then named it to the default profile! Now when I boot it rolls through the reboot process several times and quits on a blank black screen if I keep hitting the Del key. If I let it go on boot, Win 8.1 starts to load and then I get a BSOD.

Any Ideas? Should I push the rest button the rear of the MB?

Help
Rick S.

Son_of_Altair
Level 9
I would go into the BIOS and hit F9 which should load optimized defaults and see if you can boot from there
Intel 4930k i7 OC 4.6GHz Offset Mode ~ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition ~ 2x 8GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 2400MHz 10-12-12-31 ~ Asus ROG Matrix Platinum 780ti ~ C: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD ~ 😧 Samsung 840 Evo 750GB SSD ~ Corsair ATX 1200i ~ Corsair 900D ~ Corsair H110 ~ 3x Corsair SP120 Red LED fans ~ 6x Corsair SP140 Red LED fans

RickSinGA
Level 11
I cannot get into the BIOS?

I am sitting here looking at the frozen Republic of Gamers splash screen with the options to enter the UEFI at the bottom but nothing happens!

Help
Rick S.

Son_of_Altair
Level 9
Disconnect your drive and try rebooting again while mashing the delete key, also look for a 2 digit LED display and try and make note of the code before it tried to reboot itself

Tried to reboot again w/o pressing the Del key. Quickly passed thru splash screen and now have a blank black screen. Code SE now.

Should I start a new thread?

RickSinGA
Level 11
Disco'ed all 4 SSD's and 1 HDD. Repowered and attempted to boot.

Tried DEL key at splash screen, now looking at a blank black screen with code A2.

Rick S.

RickSinGA
Level 11
Disco'ed the CDROM; error code 99.