cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G53jw gpu probabily dying

midnighter
Level 7
hi guys , i have an asus g53jw and today it's having some problems. When this morning i started using it , some purple glitches showed on the screen , youtube started lagging and then the message "the display driver crashed and was restarted" appeared. I already had a problem like this in a sony vaio with a nvida card as well and when it started to do this, after a couple of days, the video card died and the laptop didn't display nothing anymore. Is there anyone that experienced the same as me and the gpu survived??? (i'm downloading the update of the driver but my connection sucks and i don't think it will fix the issues) Do you know where i can buy a budget gtx460m??
p.s. the temps are pretty normal
2 REPLIES 2

Verdict
Level 9
I would rule out any software issues first. Try to reinstall your operating system and see if the problem persists.

Also, do you overclock your GPU? I would turn off any overclocks if you do.

jt128
Level 8
midnighter wrote:
hi guys , i have an asus g53jw and today it's having some problems. When this morning i started using it , some purple glitches showed on the screen , youtube started lagging and then the message "the display driver crashed and was restarted" appeared. I already had a problem like this in a sony vaio with a nvida card as well and when it started to do this, after a couple of days, the video card died and the laptop didn't display nothing anymore. Is there anyone that experienced the same as me and the gpu survived??? (i'm downloading the update of the driver but my connection sucks and i don't think it will fix the issues) Do you know where i can buy a budget gtx460m??
p.s. the temps are pretty normal

I actually had this same problem (I also have the G53JW) for a long time and I managed to fix it. I forget what it was that I did, though. It hasn't happened in a long time.

Here are some things to do:

1. Update your driver, or revert to the one on Asus support for your device. I am currently using the latest from Nvidia with no problems so I guess that is not the problem.
2. Clean out your PC of all dust and dirt. I like to use compressed air (I use a compressor and blow gun; the CO2 cannisters that you can buy are not powerful enough) and a vacuum cleaner on the keyboard and the exhaust ports. Remember that air is pulled through the keyboard, into the case, across the heatsinks, and out the exhaust.
3. Adjust your Windows graphics settings located in Control Panel -> System -> Advanced System Settings -> Performance Settings -> Visual Effects tab. You can disable some eye candy here. I do remember this helping with this issue. I forget which setting it was, though. Maybe later today I can take a look and give you an answer.
4. Try a more powerful PSU. I honestly think that the stock PSU is not good enough. I have been using this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GCST6YA/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only catch with that PSU is that is injects some noise into my AC power circuit. I needed to add a filter so my home theater sub wouldn't hum when this PSU is plugged in in my family room.

I know that my GPU is not dying as the problem was taken care of months ago and now it works fine. In fact I am able to OC my GPU quite a bit with no problems.