cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notes before buying G751 series

X-ROG
Level 15
Somethings to look out for in addition to our upgrade guide (published on Weds 22nd Oct):

> When buying an SSD model, take note that it's SATA or PCIE. PCIE is 2x faster than SATA. Only models with M.2 pre-fitted will be supported with an M.2 bracket. We will not provide upgrade support for models purchased without M.2 initially sorry.

> M.2 slot supports up to PCI-E 4x cards (like XP941)

> Only one of the drive bays has an optional M.2 slot. Both have SATA ports. You cannot run 2x 2.5" SSD + M.2 for example, but you can run 2x 2.5 inch or 1x 2.5 inch + 1x M.2. (The G771 can run 2x 2.5" + M.2 however!)

> The left drive bay (when flipped over) with both M.2 + SATA ports is the primary.

> Optical drive is held in by a single screw and uses a standard mobile SATA port.

> Remember to buy DDR3L (1.35V memory) when upgrading.

> You only have access to two SO-DIMM slots, so if you want to max out your memory (32GB) you have to buy a 16GB model to start with.

> You do not have access to the WiFi module.

> GTX 860M model is the only one with touchscreen.

> All models use IPS Full HD displays. 120/144Hz displays are supported over HDMI/DP (VG248Q for example).

> Four display outputs can all be used at once: laptop display + HDMI, DP and d-sub together.

> Each suffix-SKU (-DS/-CH/etc) spec is decided by country/retailer, not ASUS - please contact them, rather than ASUS, to confirm specific spec details. "what memory?" "what SSD?" etc
144 REPLIES 144

Arnas
Level 7
Is g751jm cost same as g750jm or more? Touchscreen is present on all g751jm models? or it is touch and mate? For me touchscreen is win, because it is glosy! Even the best matte display wont be anywhere near the quality of average glossy display. Thank you for answers☺

Richdog
Level 7
Guys, can someone please confirm that changing the hard drive yourself does NOT result in a voided warranty? itr is a suer-replaceable part so I would hope that this was not the case, and that we are free to upgrade it whenever we choose?

Richdog wrote:
Guys, can someone please confirm that changing the hard drive yourself does NOT result in a voided warranty? itr is a suer-replaceable part so I would hope that this was not the case, and that we are free to upgrade it whenever we choose?

It does not result in voided warranty. It is in the user serviceable area.

BRSxIgnition
Level 9
Is the Optical drive in the G751 a 12.7mm or 9.5mm drive?

I plan on buying a hard drive caddy for the optical drive, since I hardly ever use DVDs.

What size do I need to get for my future G751?

BRSxIgnition wrote:
Is the Optical drive in the G751 a 12.7mm or 9.5mm drive?

I plan on buying a hard drive caddy for the optical drive, since I hardly ever use DVDs.

What size do I need to get for my future G751?

MarshallR@ASUS wrote:

it is actually the 9mm one... the 12 is too big. I know... I listened to people and bought the 12mm only to find out it was too big. 9mm is a tight squeeze.

I know you posted this quite awhile ago, im considering getting a G751JYWH71WX, and since I do not need a DVD drive this looks to be an option, but i have a question
When using this caddy, does it literally add an additional hard drive to my computer? (IE: This model has an HDD, and a SDD, would this give me 2x HDD and an SDD?)

Richdog
Level 7
Hi Marshall,

Thanks for the rpely, much appreciated! Another question(s):

1) Does the following modle of G751 have an SSD also, or is it literally just a 1TB drive?
2) What type of SSD slot does it have, SATA or PCI-E?

ASUS Notebook 17.3" G751JY-T7018H http://www.microspot.ch/msp/product/notebooks/0000925744/asus-notebook-17.3-g751jy-t7018h/detail.jsf

Cheers,

Rich.

X-ROG
Level 15
1) Please contact the retailer. It looks like just a 1TB HDD.
2) Every model has both sockets, but unless it comes with a PCIE M.2 SSD you won't a get PCIE M.2 bracket. Please confirm with the retailer direct if it comes with a second HDD bracket inside for a SATA SSD also if it only ships with 1 drive.