cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

About to throw my G550J out the window, wireless issues while gaming

slimo
Level 7
I have posted about this issue already but none of the "fixes" helped.
In a nutshell, wireless connection is fine for downloading, youtube, etc but when I try to play online games (WoW, TF2, etc) 80% of the time the games are unplayable and I get disconnected, latency spikes, etc.
Note this is not just "you're on wireless so instead of 10 ping you get 50 ping", this is flat out UNPLAYABLE.
Windows 8.1, all drivers up to date, have taken back to retailer and wireless card already been replaced and "fixed" by service centre. Service centre is also trying to charge me if I take it back and they don't find a fault and retailer is not offering any alternatives so I really need some advice before I swear off ASUS products forever.

Will provide any tech details you need just give me guidance.
9 REPLIES 9

dne0gen
Level 7
Since I haven't seen your previous post I would suggest checking out your router. I had the same issue some time before and it was because of a ****ty (free) router my internet provider gave me when they installed my net.

Wulff
Level 9
that was the first thing i ditched as well, those modem/routers from isp's are not the best ones out there.

not sure if mine is the best but i have 1 from asus and never have issues here. but then again i dont play online games here.

Sorry should have mentioned I did buy a new router (I knew there was another explored avenue that didn't fix the problem) - a mid-range model, nothing super flash but by gosh it should be able to give you a ping of less than 500ms

slimo
Level 7
Seriously, ASUS (and the retailer and approved service centre) have been NO help whatsoever here and after saving up for years to get a flash new gaming laptop I'm pretty pissed.

slimo
Level 7
Thanks all, just the kind of response I have come to expect from ASUS

slimo wrote:
Thanks all, just the kind of response I have come to expect from ASUS

slimo, this is a user supported forum, Asus don't work here 🙂

You can reach Asus here:
http://www.service.asus.com/#!b2c2/c24v6

and:

http://www.service.asus.com/#!escalation-mailbox/c1scx

https://vip.asus.com

Try getting some help from someone local that is experienced with debugging Wireless problems. I tried to help you, and we got nowhere, you need someone there that can see what is going on and try things on the fly.

Good luck!

Honestly I appreciate the help but computers issues are hugely frustrating for me. For machines supposedly built on logic systems, I find them anything but logical.

For instance, yesterday I discovered that when I unplug the laptop my in-game latency goes from 300ish to 5ms.
Yes I have checked power settings and power management etc but why would UNPLUGGING the power improve wireless performance? The ASUS tech repair or retailer couldn't tell me.

Hi Slimo,

I know this post is old and I don't have anything that will help but I am in a similar position - ready to junk my machine and vow never to buy asus again...

My G550J gets real hot playing CSGO, the backlit keys on the angle I use my machine make it useless, my machine is slow to boot...

I had a dell with no backlit, it had black letters on silver keys and that was the BEST EVER! 1000% better than any ANY backlit setup.....

I installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit only to find that there are NO drivers for this machine in Win7 - NONE NADA BUNCUS - no network, no wireless, nothing. I found work arounds to the point I could get CSGO to play - but it still gets hot after awhile....

This is NOT a gaming machine - if it can run Batllefield 4, CSGO, COD, etc for 4 to 6 hours straight WITHOUT any networking/GPU/CPU/Heating problems then it can be called a gaming machine....

If my wife found out that I wrote this, then she would be pissed - "tear me a new one" pissed - this machine was outside my budget but the promises that this machine had, well at the time, I thought was worth it - how wrong I was.

Hope you all have a happy life - I need to know that someone out there is not being screwed like I seem to be, time and time again.

PS - my asus x79 motherboard is now playing up - I am so ............................................

Kind Regards,
Andy.

hi Slimo, you are not alone here.

I have gotten a new router as well instead of the standard DSL crap. asus dsl55u, mid range router about 150AUD price wise. Back home in singapore, the card doesnt give any issues at all, but thats because im on the equivalent of NBN in Singapore. It seems this card has issues with 802.11n, that is the Dell 7260AC dual band seems to be the cause issue. Apparently it was soo bad that the revamped model of our laptop ie g56Jk got the card replaced with an atheros. This is funny considering my housemate who has a 7260N which seems to work fine and dandy while we face **** from our wlan.

Even the prior suggestion of turning of Throughput doesnt seem to work that well, the fluctuations driving me mad and annoyed, however, playing in UWA doesnt really cause any issues either, unless some dude decides to torrent while connected to the same WAP. you can try uninstalling the intel wlan driver and replace it with either one of the available intel wlan drivers on the asus surpport site.

This or try every different driver on the intel surpport site (damn it).
Hell, you dont have to chuck this beauty out, its an entry level laptop thats still rather well built minus the WLAN card.
thing is, if you trawl the forums online, the issues lies in the 7260AC WLAN card that is one of the default WLAN cards on most laptops.
Worst comes to worst, you might want to downgrade the WLAN card to a better but older WLAN card say N6300 which has been around for quite awhile.

Hope this helps.