Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    ROG Member Array

I managed to pull it off by uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage Technology:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled.png 
Views:	0 
Size:	117.4 KB 
ID:	42569
    However, once I waited for a while the bars went back up to yellow... and I looked on latencyMon and despite me having uninstalled the drivers... the iastor.sys drivers are still running in the background... Why is this happening?

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by PilotRaider14 View Post
    I managed to pull it off by uninstalling Intel Rapid Storage Technology:
    However, once I waited for a while the bars went back up to yellow... and I looked on latencyMon and despite me having uninstalled the drivers... the iastor.sys drivers are still running in the background... Why is this happening?
    PilotRaider14, if you don't have a RAID set up, you didn't need the Intel Rapid Storage Technology. I have a RAID so I have it installed, it sets the RAID parameters for higher performance, at least for my set up I can't remove it.

You are finding the culprit via the other application, Latency Mon, please post what you are seeing there. My view shows directx/nvidia as the top delay's.

The other person with problems saw iastor.sys as the offending service, I don't have it showing on mine, but I have 2 SSD's

Have you considered swapping in an SSD?

ROG Member Array

I went ahead and reinstalled IRST, and it didn't do anything after another uninstall.

I've considered an SSD, but I need to work a little more first.
    My gaming desktop has multiple HDD's and a 250GB 840 EVO SSD. For my laptop I'd like to get one of these possibly since it combines two in one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236642

I'll post the LatencyMon images shortly. Thanks.

hmscott PC Specs

Quote Originally Posted by PilotRaider14 View Post
    I went ahead and reinstalled IRST, and it didn't do anything after another uninstall.

I've considered an SSD, but I need to work a little more first.
    My gaming desktop has multiple HDD's and a 250GB 840 EVO SSD. For my laptop I'd like to get one of these possibly since it combines two in one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822236642

I'll post the LatencyMon images shortly. Thanks.
    PilotRaider14, I would invest the $200 toward a 512GB SSD... the 120GB SSD is too small for an OS and the 1TB isn't going to be significantly faster than the 1TB it came with originally. It's an interesting idea that might fit some uses, but if you are looking for low latency, get a pure SSD

ROG Enthusiast Array

I'm going to hijack this thread for the same reason, high latency.

It first began to bug me when running Diablo 3 and had unbearable micro-stuttering, no matter what setting I had. So I installed Latencymon only to find that HDAudBus.sys (for Driver with highest ISR total time) and ACPI.sys ( Driver with highest ISR routine execution time) cause the problems, regardless if I was gaming, watching a youtube video or simply listening to music! Which is unbelievable for such a system (I have an ASUS G751 JT).

So I went about to:
    -disable the wi-fi (don't used i, got a LAN)
    -disabled CPU throttling and now have min. CPU at 100%
    -even went and did a test without XTU on (same result, more or less)
    -updated BIOS to 2.0.6
    -updated audio driver first to the latest from G751JT download page then latest from Asus general page.

No avail. I swear it runs WORSE than on my 6 year old Dell XPS 1730. At least on that one at lower settings it was smooth as butter. On this one, no matter what setting I use, it still stutters. And I'm 99% sure it's the audio driver or something audio related.

Any thoughts? and please don't suggest a total system re-install / get and SSD, because, as I said, my older system has no problem with much much lower specs.
    Last edited by rogdood; 04-24-2015 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typos, typos everywhere

hmscott PC Specs

rogdood, it is likely the HDD APM/power save causing the lag. It's possible it's HD wasn't head parking all the time like the 1TB in the G751.

IO service wait is a killer, and if the head is parked and the drive is spun down, it's gonna wait to serve IO

You could try disabling APM, and turning off Power saving for the controller, drive, and PCI, and disable drive power down in the Power Plan you are running.

You can disable APM with quiethdd, crystaldiskinfo, and other tools.

https://sites.google.com/site/quiethdd/

Put these config lines in the quiethdd.ini file

FirstRun = 0
    AC_APM_Value = 255
    DC_APM_Value = 255
    AC_AAM_Value = 254
    DC_AAM_Value = 254
    AAMEnabled = 1
    APMEnabled = 1

It will also stop the clicking noise from the HDD head parking .

The real cure for HDD induced lags / pauses / freezes is to get an " " drive, it gets rid of this problem.

Some people say that installing Intel's RST driver, even when you don't have a RAID configured, gives better latency than the Microsoft driver(s).

For the G750JH/JZ RAID and G751JY PCIE SSD, or if you have implemented RAID, the latest SetupRST.exe is currently 13.6.0.1002
    https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Sea...29+RAID+Driver

Please let us know if any of this helps
    Last edited by hmscott; 04-26-2015 at 03:46 AM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

I was thinking that the issue might be the HDD, since I only have one at the moment, and all my information is accessed from there. Unfortunately, I don't have a secondary HDD, but I do have a micro SD card of 32 Gb. That should be enough to move Diablo 3 and give it a go like that.

Sure, an SSD would probably be the most logical choice to keep the OS and an HDD for the rest.
    Thanks for the input, got the quietHDD tool and got it going. I will see if that helps (even the slightest is appreciated).

Other than that, I think the audio driver has also a lot to do, since Latencymon reports constantly that my system is having trouble playing audio in realtime.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

I posted this info in another thread here but I think it is worth repeating.

Windows 8 Compatibility: The DPC latency utility runs on Windows 8 but does not show correct values. The output suggests that the Windows 8 kernel performs badly and introduces a constant latency of one millisecond, which is not the case in practice. DPCs in the Windows 8 kernel behave identical to Windows 7. The utility produces incorrect results because the implementation of kernel timers has changed in Windows 8, which causes a side effect with the measuring algorithm used by the utility. Thesycon is working on a new version of the DPC latency utility and will make it available on this site as soon as it is finished.
    Translation - Don't chase your tail trying to get low DPC values from a tool that doesn't work correctly in Windows 8. The author should write some code to completely block this tool from running in Windows 8.

Micro stuttering is often times caused by a crappy GPU driver and sound issues might be improved by trying a different sound card driver. Too much software is shipped these days without being thoroughly tested.

Another thing that can help out with micro stuttering is adjusting the Windows timer resolution. The default for Windows is 15.6 ms. ThrottleStop has an option where you can drop this down to 1 ms. Some users have reported that this significantly helps with micro stuttering. If you don't want to use ThrottleStop, there are other tools that you can use to control this.

ThrottleStop 8.00 beta 1
    https://www.sendspace.com/file/hxhifj

Lucas Hale also offers a tool for adjusting the Windows timer resolution.
    http://www.lucashale.com/timer-resolution/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2