cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to get a Recovery media for my G750JX? My SSD and HDD where wiped clean.

Angelwing56
Level 7
Hi guys,

I wonder if someone knows how to get my hands on Recovery media for my G750JX?
I made a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro and formatted my SSD and HDD. So I don't
have a recovery patition(if I ever need one). I did not find anything for G750's model on
Asus page. Maybe somebody could upload theirs to a cloud..... ?

Greets to all
12 REPLIES 12

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Angelwing56 wrote:
Hi guys,

I made a clean installation of Windows 8.1 Pro and formatted my SSD and HDD. So I don't
have a recovery patition(if I ever need one). I did not find anything for G750's model on

Greets to all

Well The "Backtrack Recovery USB file" is pretty large, around 10 GB.
Maybe some kind soul can help you out there.
I have a JZ, so I'm of no help to you.

PS: One of the first things you should have done was create the "BackTracker USB" my friend.
Well, I guess, live and learn as the saying goes!

GottiBoi55
Asus
G750JZ-DS71 Windows 10 Pro (x64)
Intel® Core™ i7 4700HQ (2.40GHz)
Samsung
24GB Memory DDR3 1600 MHz SDRAM
SanDisk
M.2 SSD 2x128GB in Raid 0 / WD-HGST-1TB HDD 7500-RPM
NVIDIA® GeForce® GTX 880M 4 GB GDDR5 VRAM
Second Monitor: Shar
p Aquos 32"

hmscott
Level 12
Angelwing56 wrote:
Hi guys,
Greets to all

Angelwing56, unfortunately that would be distributing Windows without a license. Only Asus can legally give you a recovery reinstall. If you RMA to Asus and ask them to reload your OS + Recovery partition Asus will do that for you 🙂

You can create a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry asking Asus to RMA your laptop to reinstall the OS and recovery partition.

https://vip.asus.com

Then when you get the laptop back, be sure and use Asus Backtracker - should be installed already - and a USB 3.0 16GB Flash drive to create a recovery flash drive that you can use to restore the laptop to out of the box configuration should the OS install go bad - or you want to use another HDD/SSD as your boot drive.

Thr RMA won't take too long, it is just an OS install - no delays waiting for parts, and then you will have everything back the way it was out of the box 🙂

hmscott wrote:
Angelwing56, unfortunately that would be distributing Windows without a license. Only Asus can legally give you a recovery reinstall. If you RMA to Asus and ask them to reload your OS + Recovery partition Asus will do that for you 🙂

You can create a login here, register your laptop, and file a Technical Inquiry asking Asus to RMA your laptop to reinstall the OS and recovery partition.

https://vip.asus.com

Then when you get the laptop back, be sure and use Asus Backtracker - should be installed already - and a USB 3.0 16GB Flash drive to create a recovery flash drive that you can use to restore the laptop to out of the box configuration should the OS install go bad - or you want to use another HDD/SSD as your boot drive.

Thr RMA won't take too long, it is just an OS install - no delays waiting for parts, and then you will have everything back the way it was out of the box 🙂

I agree, maybe that would be the best route for you.
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

Angelwing56
Level 7
Thank You very much guy's 4 your reply's. But I don't think that It would be illegal distribution of windows, be cause I did extract my original KEY from the BIOS. I want to have the original version, just for emergency cases. Be cause I have to say that right now My laptop works MUCH better then when he came in new. Be cause I formatted all media, then removed the HDD . then installed the Windows 8 Pro. So all the boot files are only on my SSD now. Then I placed back the HDD. So everything now works exactly how I want it to. No bloatware 🙂 . So the only reason I want the restore media is be cause I payed for it. And I would like to have some hard copy of it. It actually should be illegal 4 companies no to supply a hard copy of the OS(or recovery media). This way they will also not lie about the amount of free space You have available to use. I mean windows takes already some space + the hidden partition steal is more. Before they always supplied the recovery media, but then they got lazy and greedy.
Anyway once again thanks for Your reply and help.

Darnassus
Status Under Review
Doubt it's illegal. It's giving him a copy of something he already owns. The only question is does the BackTracker copy of someone else's unit allow you to use your own CD key on it..?

I am aware that the CD key is tied to the motherboard, too?

Darnassus wrote:
Doubt it's illegal. It's giving him a copy of something he already owns. The only question is does the BackTracker copy of someone else's unit allow you to use your own CD key on it..?

Microsoft takes it seriously... that is why you don't see legit download / mirror sites hosting ISO's of Windows.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/reporting/default.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/knowthefacts/property.aspx
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/piracy/mpa.aspx

If you want to get a copy, download it from Microsoft, they make several methods of getting replacement copies to legit licenses.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/clean-install

Asus doesn't do it because it isn't possible for them either. Microsoft is likely behind the move to stop OEM's from distributing separate backup / recovery media with every computer - that is why it is now a partition on the drive contained within the laptop.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Recovery_disc#Criticism

Microsoft has locked down all the potential legal like methods of getting Windows, to make the illegal ones stand out easier to catch those that do.

GottiBoi55
Level 10
Yes, if you already own the software it's not illegal.
Like using a ISO copy of windows to do a clean install.
GottiBoi55
Asus
Samsung
SanDisk
p Aquos 32"

GottiBoi55 wrote:
Yes, if you already own the software it's not illegal.
Like using a ISO copy of windows to do a clean install.

GottiBoi55, it's not illegal for you to use your license key to activate a copy of Windows you have installed.

But, it is illegal for someone other than Microsoft or an approved OEM with explicit distribution rights from Microsoft to distribute in any form a copy of Windows to be used for installation - with or without a key.

That is why there are Zero legit download / mirror sites hosting copies of Microsoft OS ISO's... ever wonder why that is the case? It's because it isn't legel for them to do so.

It is also illegal for you, me, or even Asus to do that as well. We can't make a copy available for transfer over the internet. We also can't make a copy for any other purpose than a personal backup.

MegaMouseGW
Level 7
First thing I do is clone my main hard drive. Got a hard drive cloner for just tat. Also I will then cone the clone after I have it nice and setup the way I want it. Saves a lot of time if ne hard drive goes out and I have to swap them out.