cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sound problem when head set is attached.....

TheBlueOyster
Level 7
Hi there,

I have just bought a brand new G74SX A2 recently. I must say this machine is sweet, the finish is absolutely awesome and have a premium feel to it. Everything was working until I attached my steel series Headphones into the audio socket, I realized that only Left speaker was working. It's strange because when I take the headphone jack out the built in speaker work just fine, the moment I put the jack back in the audio socket only left speaker works. I have tried installing new drivers from the asus site, I've tried installing realtek audio drivers and even tested my headphones on a different computer, It's work fine. I have no idea how to fix this problem, if there's anyone who can help me out your help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance....
ASUS G74 A2 - STOCK HARDWARE
6 REPLIES 6

dstrakele
Level 14
I am assuming you report that only the left side of your headphones emits sound when plugged into the audio socket of your laptop.

If you're sure you've got the jack pushed ALL the way in, it could be the jack on your headphones or the audio socket on the machine. If your headphones work on another system, then I would take your G74SX-A2 back to the retailer and ask for a new one. Alternatively, if another set of headphones works in your laptop, the Steel Series headphone jack is at fault.

The fact that both of the laptop speakers work correctly indicate the balance for playback is not an issue.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
You mean the right speaker on the notebook stops working when the phones are plugged in?

What do you hear from the phones?
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

JRd1st - nope the built in speakers are fine, the problem is when I plug phones in the audio jack. The right speaker in my "Headphones" doesn't work.

dstrakele - Yes dstrakele I am sure that I pushed the jack all the way in before I started using it. The headphones works well every where else....I can get laptop replaced but that's my last resort, I want to try everything I can...

dstrakele
Level 14
Unfortunately, It sounds like a laptop hardware problem to me from the troubleshooting you've done to date.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

JRd1st
Level 12
Sometimes oxides or something collect on the jack contacts. If a few insertions and removals didn't fix it I'd say there's something wrong with the jack.

RMA or exchange. 😞

Good luck!
Read the User's Manual for more info. 😄

G74SX-A1 BIOS 203
Intel 6230 WiFi/BT
LG E2350 LED LCD Monitor
Intel Series 510 120 GB SSD

Drivers, Apps and How To's
Latest nVidia Drivers

JRd1st on DeviantArt.com

I guess replacement it is then...........no worries...thanks for your prompt replies guys....cheers