cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has anyone found solution for hair dryer trick on rive iv?

UnlimitePower
Level 9
Has anyone found solution to "no posting without hair dryer trick on rive iv? My rampage IV Extreme has worked flawlessly since I built my system. Not one hick-up at all. A few nights ago it turned itself on. I was reading a book when the thing booted up on its own and stopped at the windows password screen. I thought someone was able to remote start it. I turned it off and awaited to see what happened. Nothing ever did but next day it did not turned on at all. I opened the case and the reset and start buttons were lit up as always so I pressed the start button and there was no reaction at all, as if I had no pressed it at all. I will save your time and tall you that I have done the troubleshooting up and including replacing the bios battery. Nothing ever worked. I got online and found a couple of postings, including one from another board manufacturer acknowledging a problem related to no post due to high humidity. So I popped the hair dryer and within 30 seconds the board fired up . I did a ram test and no probs. long story short, this board will post consistently within 30 seconds of hair drying time at low heat settings. Has not failed yet. I tested every single item already. A Ok on all. PC has not been moved from current location and board will not post if removed from case until a little hair dryer time has been applied. With or without parts installed. This tells me there is an temp related issue with a part/parts on the motherboard itself. Has any one resolved this issue. I have not over locked it ever as I wanted to get at least 5 to 7 years out of it. Thnks
24 REPLIES 24

UnlimitePower
Level 9
Additional notes: I noticed that when shutdown, the clock will stop. I tested old bios battery and was ok then replaced with new one that tested OK and the same problem happens. I wonder if the motherboard is "not" starting the powersupply due to a bad timer? The timer holds time just fine when computer is on. I left it on for three consecutive days and it is solid. The problem surfaces only after shutdown.

This is an addition to my notes: Today out of a hunch, to fire up the board I decided to find out where this problem may be coming from. Since the time stops at the time when I turn it off I figured the problem is going to be from the Bios Battery area. I tested it by adding hairdryer heat to that one area and the motherboard fired up within 30 seconds. I did not apply heat anywhere else. Next I will turn it off, let it cool down and attempt the same by applying heat to the other areas one at a time. for example, the area that has the start/reset button, then to the left side of the CPU etc. and see if the board will post again. Maybe this way I can zero in on a specific area of the motherboard. I have a feeling this problem may come from a bad soldered part. I will update as I find more info. This is going to take me a long time to finish cause I have a problem with my hands. I can only use them for a about 20 seconds at a time. everything I do takes a long time. like this posting.

xeromist
Unfortunately I can't offer anything helpful but I am interested in your tests and want to see the results...lest you think nobody cares.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

philly_cheese_s
Level 8
Make sure the battery hold down is making good contact with the battery

The last link shows exactly the problem I have: I hope this info helps someone with same problem here again: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNeP8Kkl9s&feature=youtu.be

UnlimitePower
Level 9
Thank you xeromist and Philly Cheese Steak. I have been working around that battery hold down but nothing yet. I am not the only one wiht same problem but the hair dryer seems to be temporary solution. I found this on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMRzN3xbMN4 and this other one with same results: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?30487-My-ROG-Boots-only-with-a-hair-dryer amd this one: http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/2085336 and this video shows exactly what I have to do with hair dryer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OyNeP8Kkl9s&feature=youtu.be

philly_cheese_s
Level 8
Yeah I've seen it on the other thread you posted it in, I assume it has more to do with a cold boot issue. the fact is most 2011 are out of warranty so if you think you found a golden egg, your a little late to the table. I've not had any boot issue with mine, except when i input bad settings. lol 195 hits you'll be famous by the time the last 2011 sockets are garbage, your video is about the worst quality i could ever hope to see.

@philly, I am glad you disapprove .

Dude
Your found some else's ideal and posted it as your own, you have no clue! All your posts should be deleted as your the troll, You think Asus is gonna hire you or give you a bag of money? You probably don't even own the board, so who is the real troll?