Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Angry G750JS - Sleeps when playing game with Lid Closed using external monitor

I have this issue with my fairly New G750JS. Running Windows 8.1

G750JS sleeps when the lid is closed while playing a game. If I leave the notebook open it does not sleep.

I'm using an external monitor via HDMI
    It is not a temperature issue. Machine is well ventilated
    Issue occurs with both the Power4G app installed and removed.
    I am running performance power profile and disabled all sleep option with Lid closed.

I am running the latest drivers for notebook and video card.

I even tried app Dont Sleep.. Still sleeps.

Event Logs show the following 2 event s at time of sleep:

The browser has forced an election on network \Device\NetBT_Tcpip
    Sleep Reason: Application API

I have disable the power management on network card and still no luck.

Should I return my notebook for repair?
    Last edited by Paul256; 10-23-2014 at 01:26 AM. Reason: updated OS

ROG Guru: Brown Belt Array Darnassus PC Specs
    Darnassus PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)G752VS -=-=- G750JX
    MotherboardASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G752VS (U3E1) -=-=- ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. G750JX (SOCKET 0)
    Processori7 6700HQ @ 2.60GHz -=-=- i7-4700HQ CPU @ 2.40GHz - 3.40GHz
    Memory (part number)2x16gb (M471A2K43BB1-CRC) -=-=- 2x8gb (HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB)
    Graphics Card #1GTX 1070 (8GB) -=-=- GTX 770M (3GB)
    Sound CardRealtek High Definition Audio / NVIDIA High Definition Audio
    MonitorGSync IPS 75HZ -=-=- Chi Mei 60Hz (Overclocked to 85Hz)
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO 250GB x2 -=-=- LITEONIT LCS-256M6S
    Storage #2HGST HTS721010A9E630 -=-=- ST1000LM024 HN-M101MBB
    CPU CoolerStock -=-=- Stock
    CaseStock -=-=- Stock
    Power SupplyStock -=-=- Stock
    Keyboard Stock -=-=- Stock
    Mouse Razer Naga Epic 1st Generation
    Headset SPH 2500
    Mouse Pad Razer Goliathus
    OS Winblows 10 Pro -=-=- Winblows 8.1 Pro
    Network RouterCG3000v2

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	eqweqeqeq.png 
Views:	65 
Size:	163.1 KB 
ID:	42366

New ROGer Array

Thanks Darnassus. But I had already done this as explained " I am running performance power profile and disabled all sleep option with Lid closed."

Tonight I will try a clean boot. Disable all startup items and services. My last attempt. Unless someone has something else to add.

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array Maxter's Avatar

check the temperature. Some of it also is released via the keyboard area. If this accumulates it could lead to overheating = auto shutoff

New ROGer Array

Maxter. The machine doesn't shut down it just goes to sleep eg. game is still running and I resume mid game after turning back on.. If I have it open to the point where the keyboard doesn't light up (Still closed based on internal contacts it goes to sleep. Open 3mm more were keybnoard lights up and It doesn't shutdown. So I don't believe it is heat related to the keyboard closed.

I did a clean boot. Turned off all startup program and disabled all services except for Steam which was needed to run game.

The Game ran and had no shut down issue with keyboard closed. Now I need to determine what is causing the sleep issue. Trial and error.

I will post further results.

ROG Member Array

I am having the exact same issue with my G750JS. It has even been sent off for RMA but the issue still persists even after they replaced the whole MB. It only happens during a game it has never went to sleep on the desktop. I have done all of the exact same measures you have in my attempt to fix the sleep issue. I have even tried different monitors and display cables. I have yet to narrow down the source of this weird glitch. PLEASE HELP!!!

ROG Guru: Platinum Belt Array hmscott PC Specs
    hmscott PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus G750JH-DB71 (legacy)
    MotherboardAsus G750JH Intel HM87
    ProcessorIntel i7-4700HQ XTU Cores 36x/35x/34x/34x Cache 36x -50mV undervolt
    Memory (part number)Hyundai Electronics HMT41GS6AFR8A-PB 1.35v DDR3L-1600MHz
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia 780m Asus GPU Tweak OC 932mhz/6300mhz
    Sound CardRealtek v6.0.1.7469 driver
    MonitorAUO B173HW02 V1 Custom Refresh 85hz
    Storage #1RAID0 2x M.2 SATA Crucial MX200 512GB CT500MX200SSD6
    Storage #2Crucial 512GB 2.5" MX200 CT500MX200SSD1
    Power Supply230w AC Power Adapter 19.5v
    Keyboard Logitech k400 Wireless KB/Trackpad
    Headset Sony MDR-XB500 Wired and Sennheiser RS-220 Wireless TOSLINK
    OS Windows 8.1 + 8 Linux VM's + Windows 10 Technical Preview
    Network RouterAsus RT-AC68U DLINK DIR-655

Quote Originally Posted by golferdrew32 View Post
    I am having the exact same issue with my G750JS. It has even been sent off for RMA but the issue still persists even after they replaced the whole MB. It only happens during a game it has never went to sleep on the desktop. I have done all of the exact same measures you have in my attempt to fix the sleep issue. I have even tried different monitors and display cables. I have yet to narrow down the source of this weird glitch. PLEASE HELP!!!
    golferdrew32, I haven't seen a solution for this yet.

You can try to make the main desktop on the external monitor and then disable the laptop monitor. You would run with the laptop screen up, but off.

Please let us know if that works

ROG Member Array

Unfortunately that doesn't solve the problem either. I have set my external monitor to be the main display and turned off the laptop built in display and still experience the sleeping issue when the laptop is both "open" and "closed". It also randomly sleeps even when I extend the two displays together. The only time I don't experience the random sleeping issue is when I am running a game solely on the laptop's built in display. It occurs in a multitude games including Metro 2033, TombRaider, and Titanfall just to name a few.

BELOW IS A SCREEN SHOT THE EXACT SYSTEM SHUTDOWN EVENT THAT IS OCCURRING

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Sleep.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	276.6 KB 
ID:	45430

ROG Member Array

Bump

New ROGer Array

I have been struggling with something very similar for a few days and I just stumbled upon this thread.

I have a G750JW and it also sleeps when under heavy load. I thought it was a temperature issue while encoding video. The laptop sleeps around the same time every time I encode. I have been monitoring my temps and while it gets up as high as 90c there was really no reason it should be sleeping. I tried removing the nvidia drivers, installing older drivers, reinstalling new drivers, installing the ASUS power manager . . . but nothing has helped! I read this thread and decided to open the lid and unplug my HDMI cable to my monitor and low and behold it no longer sleeps and finishes the encode!!!

The temps stay the same with lid open or closed so it is not that . . . it definitely is sleeping due to the lid even though I have it set to never sleep.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast