cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is my TIM messed up?

flyinion
Level 12
Trying to figure out if I did something wrong putting the system together a couple weeks ago. I have the following settings set in BIOS. Board is a M7F with a 4790K

Ai overclock tuner: XMP
Multicore enhancement: disabled
CPU Core Ratio: Sync All Cores
core ratio limits: Auto

This gives me a 4.4Ghz clock speed under any load and is also the only way I can ever get the CPU to run above 4.2..........i.e. if I start a single thread in Prime95 or OCCT or whatever, the CPU does not clock up to 4.4 like the turbo should cause it to. The system sets the core voltage to 1.18 in this situation.

Using RealTemp 3.7 I see temps usually in the 50's with spike (i.e. the max temp listing) to mid-60's on a couple cores. If I run something like IBT or OCCT I get mid-upper 60's. I have not tried AIDA. What makes me question my cooling is that Prime95 version 28.5 I tried small FFT's with 8 workers since I have HT on. Temps INSTANTLY shot up to mid-upper 80's and hit 95 on one core before I could shut it down. Is that correct or do I have a problem?

My cooling is a Noctua NH-D14, I'm NOT using the low noise adapters. Using Arctic MX-3 applied about the size of a grain of rice running in the direction of the core silicon I believe (front to back of the socket). Placed the heatsink on top, gave a couple small side to side twists, and locked it down.
7 REPLIES 7

MeanMachine
Level 13
HI flyinion and yes Prime95 version 28.5 is not good for your CPU, try version 26.6.
Aida64 free edition is worth a try.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

01_Wolverine
Level 12
With a very good air cooler or all-in-one water cooler, you’re looking at a heat limited voltage cap of about 1.25 V- 1.3v . At that voltage with air or AIO cooling, you’ll be seeing temperatures in the upper 80′s to lower 90′s (°C) range under normal full processor load.

The easiest way to see how far your particular chip will go is to set the voltage manually at 1.25 V, set all cores to run the same multiplier, then start raising that multiplier until you run into instability.

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
1. I used Aida64 free for a while, but I love it; so, I paid for the basic license. I still love it - haha - there are a lot of voltages you can't see without the full license, as well as HDD temps. OCCT will work the dog out of your machine, as will Aida64.

2. While that Noctua air-cooler is phenomenal, remember that due to the sheer mass of the heat sink, and the fact that heat has to conduct a long way to the fins, temperature spikes will be more extreme. The presence of heat pipes helps (adding an element of convection), but conduction is the least efficient heat-transfer method available to such a system, and it's the primary method by which a PC heat sink works.

You mentioned using a line, and then slightly rotating the heat sink back and forth to settle it. It is my understanding that you only want to help the heat sink settle with rotation using the dot method, as smearing the line of TIM could trap air bubbles more easily. The only way to find out would be to re-paste, using a different method.

So, judging from your temperatures, and what little I know about nominal temperatures for socket 2011 CPUs, it seems that those are pretty normal readings. I don't really use Prime95 anymore - general stress testing: Realbench, and stability testing: Aida64. I've managed to let go of the OCD-driven insanity of trying to get Prime95 to run stable and cool for 10+ hours, since it's not a realistic test of your computer's abilities.

Z

flyinion
Level 12
Thanks guys, yeah I found some more info last night about newer versions of Prime (I just upgraded from the 4 year old one I had ooops) running some AVX instruction that pretty much nukes the CPU temp-wise. Even found a help post on Intel's forums about it. I don't normally use it I guess I was just double checking that everything is working right. I have to say I'm confused on the AIDA thing. Everyone keeps saying there is a free one but all I find on their site is the 3 versions that all have a 30 day limited functionality trial. I will say I get good temps with IBT, OCCT, and Realbench. Or at least they seem like they should be good considering the chip is basically overclocked to 4.4 at 1.18v since it's running at 4.4 even when all cores are under load.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Good news flyinion and I agree with Dr. Zchivago re Prim95.
Yes your right about AIDA64, that's what people are doing, using the limited functionality version for a 30 day trial. You should only need it for a couple of days anyhow.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Good news flyinion and I agree with Dr. Zchivago re Prim95.
Yes your right about AIDA64, that's what people are doing, using the limited functionality version for a 30 day trial. You should only need it for a couple of days anyhow.

Got it. I suspected that's what was going on. I'll hold off on getting it then until I'm ready to sit down and actually OC and not just stress testing a stock build to make sure it's cooling properly. I'm actually looking into water at the moment, but we'll see.

RickSinGA
Level 11
I found the credit card method to be the easiest and most reliable Fly. But I guess everyone has there favorites.

Rick S.