cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

State Of The Art Simulation

Goggle_Eye
Level 7
Planning on water cooling the system started the build was not working out decided to air cool instead. Going to do a post 6
months ago. Received some help in the forums concerning the Rampage 4 Black Edition and related hardware the help is
greatly appreciated thank you. Been a bit under the weather and decided to share some pictures. Please excuse the bad pictures.

Definition of Noctua: State Of The Art Simulation this computer primarily is used for flight simulation.

Hardware:

Case Labs Magnum 8 Double Wide
Fan Filtration None
PSU Corsair 1200w up graded to a Corsair AX1500I waiting on the order to arrive should be here in a couple of weeks.
PSU Fan Filter Sylverstone 140 mm Magnetic
M/Board Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition
CPU: I 7 4930K Over Clock in Progress current 4.5GHz
Memory: G-Skill Z Series 2133 MHz 16 GB 9-11-10-28-2
GPU: 2 x Evga GTX 780 S.C. Reference Editions with Back Plates SLI No.
Hard Drives: 1 x Intel 730 Series SSD 240 Gb and 4 x W/Digital VelociRaptors 300 Gb Each 1 x W/Digital Black Caviar 2Tb
other 2 x Western Digital Black Caviars 2Tb for removable back up.
Fans: 11 x Noctua NF-S12A PWM at 1300 RPM & 3 x PDBs power for fans PSU.
LED Lights 2 x white LED strips.
Sound System: On Board
Optic Drive None

Some of the hardware and fans prior to build, Not all of the hardware has been received.

Time to install the Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition and the CPU. The R4BE is very beautiful. Still have a Rampage 3 Black Edition with a I 7 990x. Hum will the balck editions become collectors items some day?

Noctua DH-14 Heat Sink was very straight forward. The Mounting is very easy do not need to change the back plate on the R4BE.

Better install the G-Skill memory and then the NH-D14. The NH-D14 is bent will have to contact Noctua about this damaged in
shipping.

There is 50 mm of clearance under the heat sink. G-Skill Z series memory is 45 mm tall. Note the Memory is in the wrong slots. the heat sink has to be replaced will move the memory to the correct slots at that time. Checking clearances under the NH-D14.

Noctua replaced the NH-D14 at no cost. Shipping cost and import cost $ 0.00 Dollars. The new NH-D14 looks much better and arrived no damage. Notua informed me to keep the old one could not sell it. They also supplied the fan clips to fit the NH-D14 with the new fans for the NH-D15 and 2 extra tubes of thermal grease nice to have.

Time to move on and see if the mother board will boot to BIOS and run Mem Test to verify the G-Skill memory is in good working order. GPU is a old 8800 GTS. The desk is a mess and falling apart from water damage. Why the sheet of plywood on the top of the
desk. Looking for a new desk make a budget first. Doing the build on the
CaseLabs Magnum 8 Box hope it holds up have to be careful do not want to damage the box. Cant wait to start mounting the
hardware in the M-8 case. Beautiful BIOS really like the black. Features in the BIOS far past my over clocking knowledge. Have to do a lot of reading and post some questions about over clocking this system. There is plenty of help in these forums.

The spring clips for the fans are going to hit the back of the first GPU. To resolve this issue installed back plates on the GPUs and
used heat shrink to raise the fan clip off the back of the GPU. Do not think it would be an issue if the spring clips hit the back plates since they are insulated from the GPU board. Want a little bit of extra insurance. Had to cut the heat shrink about 3/8 inch long in order for it to slide around the bends on the fan clips. That is ok provide about .15000 of inch clearance between the fan clips and back plate. Sorry if I have you confused a pictures are worth a thousand words.

Installing the Back Plates thanks You Tube wanted to verify the installation procedure. Instructions are good better to double check.

Heat shrink cut to fit.

Time to shrink the heat shrink so it does not slide around on the fan clip. Will help keep the heat shrink in the proper orientation.

With the heat shrink installed on the Fan Clips and the fans mounted (This is the bent NH-D14 not the new one). Think this will give a little bit of added protection for insulation. probably not required.

Time to install the 780 S.C. on the mother board and make sure it seated properly and check for clearances between the NH-D14 fan clips and the back of the GPU. it is a tight fit not much wiggle room. Have to wait on the second 780 and the rest of the case fans.

The Magnum 8 Double wide has enough clearances to slide the mother board tray in or out with all the hardware mounted. The
NH-D14 is massive.

Better to have the hardware tucked away in side the case less apt to get damaged. Time to take a rest and grand children will e here soon.

Hope your not too bored reading this pretty basic build Will Continue tomorrow have a great day.

CaseLabs Magnum 8
Asus Rampage 4 Black Edition
I7 4930K 4.5GHz
Noctua NH D14
G-Skill Z Series 2133 MHz 16 Gb
2x GTX 780 S.C.
PSU Corsair AX 1500 I
2 x Samsung 850 Pro 2 Tbs Each
2 x Intel 730 Series 480 GBs Each
Sound On Board
1 REPLY 1

Goggle_Eye