cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PG278Q issues: does not turn on on first power-on + newest GPU drivers (+-solutions)

Undeadas
Level 7
Hi,
So far I ran into like 3 issues with this monitor:
1. After long power-off (e.g. night), if I turn my PC, monitor does not turn on (at some point it displays there is "no signal" message, but stays black), after system has loaded - you can unplug-plug back monitor, could hear windows beeping (like they found new device, etc.) - but still no visual. If I would turn off PC and then turn on it - display would work ok.
2. After updating to NVidia drivers newer than the one in CD-disc (340.52), I get artifacts appearing time at a time (quite annoying), like monitor is trying to switch into some different mode... and instantly switched back to old one.
3. Monitor is really insane bright (before that I had monitor with very good colors, so this one is just too bright, and monitor controls, sadly do not allow anything good about it)

Some solutions I found:
1. Before turning on PC, I switch monitors power off, and then back on, I wait till it displays "no signal" message, at this moment turn on PC - monitor will always work. So I believe long sleep/stand by mode is working incorrectly...
2. New drivers - sometimes they stop making issues if I turn off and turn on PC (basically load windows and restart), not sure about it (if it really helps), but basically I am forced to downgrade drivers back to CD version (340.52). I wish Asus would work more closely with NVidia, it's really GPU drivers issue...
3. Well colors... in NVidia control panel there is "adjust desktop color settings" - set gamma to 0.78-0.8 - and then things with colors are much better. Except, that sometimes(allways?) after PC boots - gamma settings is not applied, till I launch a game in full screen (that uses DX), after exiting game gamma setting is applied correctly. Probably NVidia issue, but... not cool.

relative pc parameters:
* Win 8.1-64bit
* NVidia GTX 690
* (and stuck on drivers version 340.52)

If anyone was able to overcome such issues, or has ideas, please write 🙂
78 REPLIES 78

Harbringer
Level 7
I have the same problem with the monitor not working until I close it and start it back up. I only noticed it recently since I always close my monitors after I stop using them (just a habit I guess). Oh btw I have a GTX 690 too.

theshadow2097
Level 7
I have been using 3 different video cards, Nvidia GTX460, AMD R295x2 and Nvidia GTX980 and always updated to the latest Nividia drivers and I am still having this same issue involving the monitor not detecting a connected video card upon initial switching on and the only way I can get this monitor to switch on is by switching the power off at the power point for about 20-30 seconds and then switching the power point back on. Very disappointed in this monitor 😞 after ALLLLLLLL the hype around it. I have purchased 2 previous Asus 120hz monitors which are currently being used and never had any issues like this ASUS PG278Q ROG Swift 27in 144Hz G-Sync Gaming Monitor.

PC Spec's:
* Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate Full Version Retail Pack (YES legit not a pirate copy!) All updates applied
* Tried Nvidia Gigabyte GTX460, EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 4GB and AMD XFX R295x2
* All Nvidia drivers since late 330's and latest 3 AMD drivers
* ASUS P8Z77-I Deluxe Mini ITX Motherboard original driver disk and latest updates from Asus website
* Intel Core i7 3770K
* G.Skill Ripjaws Z F3-2133C11D-16GZL (2x8GB) 16GB DDR3
* 2 different power supplies Silverstone SP 1000w & Seasonic XP-1200 Platinum 1200W Power Supply

seallone
Level 7
Ive got these problems has well, and to top it off, Just filled out email surport 2 TIMEs WITH PICS, And send button wont work.( DOES NOTHING) w8.1 firefox, and on my Tablet google chrome. Will have to ring for RMA. DAM

Justinian
Level 7
The ASUS service website is very wonky, yeah. Plus I've never had the "check RMA status" button return anything but "RMA not found" or whatever.

philbee
Level 7
Im having a similar issue,
when i turn my pc on my rog swift monitor will not do anything unless i unplug the power at the wall and plug it back in.
I dont turn the monitor off after i shut down pc,
It seems to turn its self off and than the red ring at base of monitor pluses and than after about 10 minutes it seems to turn off totally "no red pulse" After the monitor does that i cant turn the monitor back on unless i unplug and plug the main power for monitor back in at wall...

anyone else having same issue?

Anyhelp will be helpful

I initially had the same issues with this monitor. My setup below:

Gigabyte X68
I7-2600K
8 gig Corsair Vengence
EVGA 690 Signature

I first tried getting an adapter for the mini DP on the back of the 690 to connect it to the DP on the ROG Swift. This resulted in black screen / zero recognition of any input from the GPU (or both GPUs in the 690's case). I figured that I needed a Mini DP to DP cord and ordered one on Amazon. But I wasn't happy with my current situation so I kept digging. Since I recently upgraded my wife to a EVGA 980 SC from an MSI 660, I took her old GPU and gave it a go since it had native DP as an output. This resulted in the same black screen no input as before.

At this point I was very frustrated as I'm sure many of you are. What I did next was actually the one of my first mistake: called ASUS customer support. What a joke! Granted it's the day after Christmas and all but waiting on the phone for an hour was unacceptable. However, while I was listening to the CS queued background noise on speaker phone I decided to keep trying my own trial and error fixes for the no input issue. And that's when the solution hit me.

I saw my old monitor laying on the ground and figured I better plug it in if I wanted to game today at all. After plugging it in to the DVI port on the back of the 660, my old monitor came to life as I expect any monitor to do. Having my old monitor hooked up, I plugged in the ROG Swift as a secondary monitor and BOOM it finally came to life. I quickly disconnected my DVI "main" monitor and the ROG Swift took over as the main monitor. I haven't had a problem since. It turns on at the touch of a button and always has recognized the signal. I hope this helps someone else.

BTW, my wife also got an ASUS ROG Swift and her monitor worked right out of the box... granted it was hooked up to her brand new EVGA 980 SC.

\TLDR\
Try another monitor as your main monitor, then plug in the ROG Swift as a secondary monitor. If both turn on, unplug the "other" monitor and see if this solved whatever underlying issue you were having.

Werd,
420Man

philbee wrote:
Im having a similar issue,
when i turn my pc on my rog swift monitor will not do anything unless i unplug the power at the wall and plug it back in.
I dont turn the monitor off after i shut down pc,
It seems to turn its self off and than the red ring at base of monitor pluses and than after about 10 minutes it seems to turn off totally "no red pulse" After the monitor does that i cant turn the monitor back on unless i unplug and plug the main power for monitor back in at wall...

anyone else having same issue?

Anyhelp will be helpful

hi there i have the same exact prob as yours so any solution there its software or hardware??? any help it will be appreciated thx

MrCoder
Level 7
I have the same issue reported here. Turn my PC off and the monitor shuts down as expected but then after some time (hours..) I turn my PC back on and the monitor does not turn back on.

It use to work perfectly, only started happening in the last couple of weeks.
I have noticed that it is the PSU that is the issue here as unpluging the lead from the back of the monitor and pluging it back in does nothing, only unpluging the PSU from the wall resolves the issue.
This started happening a couple of days after I upgraded to the NVIDIA 347.09 drivers and I am just degrading back to 344.75 now to test if this is the issue, its a shot in the dark I know, but worth it.

Really worried about RMA'ing the monitor due to the horror stories I keep hearing but having to unplug it every time I start my PC up is a joke!

I would be happy to get a replacement PSU from ASUS thou and return mine since it seems related to that.

Also, the monitor turns itself on at random intervals and displays the ROG logo then turns off again. It's like its haunted...

It looks like the PSU is used by laptops so replacements should be easy to source, but a replacement may just fail again.
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=adp-90yd+b

Have you guys used the USB of your ASUS? I had my phone plugged in to mine and I am wondering it the USB hub is powered by the PSU and the drain of using the USB has developed the fault in the PSU?

MrCoder
Level 7
Still no fix after rolling back drivers. The PSU's that come with these monitors are just poorly made or underrated for the power required?