cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Maximus Hero Detecting 4 keyboards

stereoman
Level 7
I'm having some issues with my motherboard detecting 4 keyboards at boot, I've updated to latest bios, set partial USB device initialization to full and made sure legacy USB support is working, basically nothing makes a difference, it wouldn't be that much of an issue but every now and then my PC will refuse to boot, after the bios screen it goes to a black screen and nothing happens, the only way to fix this is to disconnect the keyboard and reboot then reconnect the keyboard once windows has loaded, i'm thinking this is a bios issue but I can't seem to find a fix.
6 REPLIES 6

Karlo666
Level 7
What keyboard do you use?

stereoman
Level 7
I use a Razer Deathstalker but I also have an old Saitek Eclipse that has the same problem

NemesisChild
Level 12
Are you connecting your keyboard to USB 3.0 or 2.0 port?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

Hello, I experienced few issues with Razer Deathstalker (Ultimate) in the past but with Maximus VI Formula. First on fresh install everything was ok, Switchblade LCD worked good, after installing Intel USB 3.0 drivers some corruption appeared on LCD panel. Whats weird keyboard was connected before and after USB 3 drivers into USB 2.0 (the ones on top). And it was sorted by connecting USB cables into blue Intel USB 3 o.O But then after few reboots Switchblade panel turned blank without any icons visible - once every few computer starts icons appeared but even then pressing keys did nothing - it was frozen. It happened on Windows 7 64, Windows 8 and Windows 8.1.

Now to the point for what worked for me. In order to fix corruption on lcd panel when connected to USB 2.0 ports I switched Intel xHCI mode from Smart Auto to Disabled - downside of doing so is USB 3 ports are disabled (not fully - they work at USB 2 speeds) so it may be an issue if You're using high speed USB 3 storage drive. You may ask why it would work if Intel xHCI is more likely about controlling USB 3 devices or ports but in manual You can find this:

Due to the design of the Intel 8 series chipset, all USB devices connected to the USB 2.0 and USB 3.0 ports are controlled by the xHCI controller. Some legacy USB devices must update their firmware for better compatibility.
It's the same in Z97 Hero for example from what I found in manual.

And somehow it messed my keyboard. Try it with disabled to see if this will make any difference with Your specific problem. Maybe it's something similar... In UEFI it shows for me also 4 keyboards but it doesn't matter as everything is working now as intended.

stereoman
Level 7
Tried switching xHCI to disabled didn't make a difference, the only way I can guarantee a normal boot is to remove the keyboard, same with the saitek eclipse as well so it's not just isolated to my Deathstalker, one thing I will note tho they are both backlit keyboards, I have a generic keyboard here with no lights that boots everytime, so i'm thinking there might be an issue with power draw for the keyboard lighting either that or it's trying to boot from the keyboard for some strange reason, either way I don't think it's a hardware issue here, the fact that it says 4 keyboards detected isn't normal operation even if it does work for you but cheers for your input, I'm sure I'll figure this out eventually.

Melkor
Level 7
Shame, good luck with finding Your issue, in Windows Device Manager under Keyboards it shows for me: 2x Deathstaker Ultimate, 1x HID System Keyboard (Synaptics Touchpad probably) but what's more weird it does show Razer Ouroboros Gaming Dock which is my mouse, not keyboard bah... Under mouse tab I see Razer Ouroboros Gaming Dock and Razer DeathStalker Ultimate which is correct as I can use trackpad via Deathstalker.