cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

maximus 7 ranger does not start anymore

ngd
Level 7
Hi everyone,

I recently bought a z97 Maximus VII Ranger with a i7 4790k.

I assembled the computer and started it, everything was really smooth, even installed an os and played a few games.
I updated the bios using the EZ utility (if i remember correctly from 1003 to 1104). EZ utility rebooted the pc, a black screen appeared, telling me that i should not switch off the pc while bios update is running, it went up to 100%, then rebooted, (this happened twice, i don't know if it's normal), then the pc restarted and the press f1 to go to bios screen appeared, i did that, entered bios, checked if anything was different, everything was the same, still i saved and exited.

Os booted after this and everything seemed fine. After finishing the session, i've shut down the pc, normally, like i always did.

But today, i wanted to start the pc, but it didn't. Nothing was happening; the START button was lit-up, but when switching on, nothing worked. No fans, no beeps, no qleds, no nothing.

I tried clearing the cmos, nothing.
I tried updating the bios again, using USB -> nothing.
i tried 1104, 1003, 0904 and 0809 versions from http://www.asus.com/support/Download/1/45/6/15/n1YzcJITwZrK4LaT/41/
(i renamed the file from the zip file to R7M.CAP , put the flash drive in the USB port, held the bios update button for 3 seconds, then released, and the blue bios flash led started blinking. i waited until it stopped, then pressed on the START button - of the motherboard. -- still nothing)
i removed everything from the mother board but the processor, nothing different happens.

My problem is exactly the one here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MiUaPt-2504), only mention that the pc does not wake up even after the 6th time.

If anyone knows anything about this, or how to fix this issue, please let me know.

Cheers.
9 REPLIES 9

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ngd and Welcome to ROG.
From your video, I see you are able to get into your Bios and the system posts successfully, so it is here that you will have to manually change settings.
I can guide you for initial settings if you are not sure. No OCing for the time being and no parameter changes in Windows should you successfully boot.
List your DIMM Modules?, and try using the Mem ok button for the system to set DIMM parameters correctly. Try one DIMM in the first slot initially should this fail.

Should it fail to post then listen to the Bios beeps,(if connected). 1 long beep followed by four short beeps indicates hardware failure and 1 continuous beep followed by 2 short beeps (repeating) would indicate a failure to recognize or incorrect DIMM modules.
Please report back and with your full system specs.:D
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Hi!

Thank you for the reply!

Unfortunately, that video is not mine, and the youtube video is about a maximus 6. I found it and since the problem was 90% similar, i thought it would be of help.

Yesterday i tried starting it up and it did not go to bios at all, all day (as i said before, no beeps, no leds, no fans, no activity whatsoever -- only the start led/button and a green led on the video card were lit.).

One of my attempts to start the pc was with and without ram (1) and as you mentioned with the first dimm in the first socket. None of them were successful.

BUT, some good news: the pc started this morning and loaded the os (no BIOS error). I did a reboot, but i'm not quite sure if i want to do a cold boot.

Do you have any ideas of what to do next? I think i will power it down eventually and see if the problem reappears. If it does, i will send it back to the store while it's in its first 30 days.

Anyway, specs:
( i know, the pc in the video looks really nice, unfortunately it's not mine 😞 )

Maximus VII Ranger
i7 4790k
16GB Kingston HyperX
600W Sirtec 80+ PSU (subject to change in the near future)
Thermaltake NiC F4 (cpu cooler, air)
Asus NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 OC
Kingston SSD 120GB (OS)
WD 1TB (Storage)
all of them in a Thermaltake Commander MS-III case.

Thanks again!

LE: i am currently doing a stress test using AIDA64. Will post the results.

Did a stress test for about 20 min. Here (link) are the results.

Should i be worried about the "overheating 4% detected" ?

Have i not installed the cpu fan correctly?

Cheers.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ngd.
Your temps at 4.4GHz are a little high and should be around 85c max under load. This will be because of the cooler you are using.
You can try reducing CPU voltage by 2 points and test again for stability. Should it fail then raise it back up 1 point and test again.
You will not achieve the potential of your CPU without a water cooling solution.
Be aware that consistent high temperatures will degrade your CPU.

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

ngd
Level 7
Hi MeanMachine!
Thanks for the reply.

I have some questions regarding your answer:

1. i suppose that the stock cooler would not do as good as this one.
2. maybe i did not install the cooler correctly:
at first i installed both fans to put air into the radiator, something like this:
(in my "drawings", || = cpu cooler)
fan1 ->||<- fan2
but then i thought it would be better to have the air flowing through the radiator, something like this (because i have 2 case fans, one getting air inside, from the back, and one taking it out, through the front of the case:
case_fan1->fan1 ->||->fan2->case_fan2

Do you think i should stick to my first setup, the one in which both fans are getting air into the radiator?

And thanks for the warning about the processor temperature!
I will consider getting a water based cooling system. Any suggestions?

Thanks a lot!

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi ngd.
The best config for Air Cooling imo, (and I have tried many ways) is x2 connected in a push|pull config immediately to the rear case fan sucking the hot air out.
I used x2 Noctua NH-U12P, in my other system however, you have a CPU that will get hot and no matter what you do, it will be insufficient for any reasonable OC, and for playing some games or applications that are CPU intensive.

Your temps will seem normal for a time, however heat will build up and frustration will set in as applications or games begin to crash unexpectedly.
This can be determined with prolonged stress testing over say 2hrs whilst monitoring temps.

I have read many frustrated posts (just read around the Forums) using the i7 4790k who have been using air and unable to achieve turbo boost without an increase in Core voltage. Remember, with even small increases in voltage you have relatively large increases in heat and it must be dissipated quickly somehow.

You can try re-applying your TIM using the pea method but the issue is the fins on the cooler where the heat will build. With liquid cooling the thermal transfer is much more efficient.

You have a top Extreme system build, Why not give it the cooling it deserves and your CPU will love you for it.

For my recommendation for liquid cooling, I would get a closed loop Corsair H105 or H110 if you can fit one to your case without too much modification.
MM

My System Specs:

CPU:

[/HR]

ngd
Level 7
Hi again!

I seriously think about water cooling, but before that i will try to rearrange the fans as you described.
Now that i read some more, i think I also may have exaggerated with the thermal paste and that may be the reason of the overheating.
I will re-apply it and make some more tests in the afternoon.

I also think to go for a better, more powerful power source, i think Corsair (about 650W -- or more?), as well.

Thanks a lot!
Cheers.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I'm not in favor of your current PSU, a Corsair HX650 would be a good choice for a single GPU system.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

ngd
Level 7
Hi,

I come with new info:

I have changed the PSU and also tightened the screws of the CPU cooler some more and the temperatures went way down. I'm talking about 60 degrees Celsius with the same stress test as before.

I will post more about the problem that i had when i first started this thread (system not starting up) and also system stability in general, because I think the PSU was the problem and I think that this new PSU seems to handle the system.

Thanks everyone for your support!