cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Win 7 Much Better

Greatwhitewing
Level 7
G750JM added 250G SSD and some RAM.

Used the drivers from Asus and install went smoothly. I was having issues with my Garmin GPS and other weird problems with Win 8.
Now everything works well and feels faster.

So for anyone considering switching I hope this helps you decide.
The main tips are of course the BIOS changes and know which wireless or network adapter. I had previously downloaded the drivers.
2 REPLIES 2

hmscott
Level 12
Greatwhitewing wrote:
G750JM added 250G SSD and some RAM.
Used the drivers from Asus and install went smoothly. I was having issues with my Garmin GPS and other weird problems with Win 8.
Now everything works well and feels faster.
So for anyone considering switching I hope this helps you decide.
The main tips are of course the BIOS changes and know which wireless or network adapter. I had previously downloaded the drivers.

Greatwhitewing, which Garmin device were you trying to update? I haven't had any problems using the Garmin update on my 3490LMT or my Edge 810. I use the Garmin Communicator in Firefox and IE. It has been working fine since Windows 8.0, and works fine in Windows 8.1

What other weird problems, specifically, did you run into with Windows 8.1?

hmscott wrote:
Greatwhitewing, which Garmin device were you trying to update? I haven't had any problems using the Garmin update on my 3490LMT or my Edge 810. I use the Garmin Communicator in Firefox and IE. It has been working fine since Windows 8.0, and works fine in Windows 8.1

What other weird problems, specifically, did you run into with Windows 8.1?

I had buggy performance with various hardware and software. Could never get Garmin express to see the Nuvi 2597LMT, finally got map updater to work. Works flawlessly in win 7. The OS would just kind of slow down for now apparent reason.

Finally even with the shell tool it still looked like a tablet underneath.

I just find 7 to run more stable although I don't do controlled tests.