cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus Vii Hero - Incomplete Boots & BSoDs

mastersparkdude
Level 7
Hello people,

This is the first time I've attempted to build a PC so I'm still a newbie in several regards. I tried searching google and on these forums, but I can't seem to find an answer to my issue. I succeeded in building my PC and even got it to boot and install windows 8.1. But after using it for a day I got a BSoD in windows while playing a game. At first, I thought, it might be a driver issue or some sort of other software issue; so I tired rebooting and noticed I had no video on next reboot. Everything was running but, no video so I was confused. I thought that maybe something had happened to the GPU, so I moved it to a new slot. No improvement. I kept trying to reboot it several times. Eventually after many tries, I got video again (from same GPU). It almost booted into windows but was met with an instant BSoD. After a while I realized that I could keep hitting reset until it boots and I get video. At this point, I tried to boot a windows 7 install DVD and was also met with an instant BSoD. I tried a windows 8.1 install usb, but I also get an instant BSoD. So now I am 100% convinced that this is a hardware issue. Before I continue here are my system specs:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.40 GHz) (BX80646I74790K)
CPU Cooler: NZXT Technologies Kraken X61 280mm All-in-One Liquid Cooling System (RL-KRX61-01)
Motherboard: ASUS MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX DDR3 2600 LGA 1150
Memory: Corsair Dominator Platinum 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory (CMD8GX3M2A1600C8)
Storage:
*(on SATA Slot 1): Samsung Electronics 840 EVO-Series 250GB 2.5-Inch SATA III Single Unit Version Internal Solid State Drive (MZ-7TE250BW)
*(on SATA Slot 2): Western Digital 2 TB SATA III 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Desktop Hard Drive, Black, (WD2003FZEX)
GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX760 SuperClocked 2GB GDDR5 256bit, Dual-Link DVI-I, DVI-D, HDMI,DP, SLI Ready Graphics Card (02G-P4-2762-KR)
Power Supply Unit: SeaSonic G Series 550-Watt ATX12V/EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply (SSR-550RM)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Chassis with Window Cases (PH-ES614P)

All these issues occurred while on BIOS version 0904. I read online that I need to update bios to use an i7-4790k, not sure this matters in this case. I've also recently read that the Power Supply Unit needs to be "Haswell Ready," my PSU is a SeaSonic G-Series which was released in 2012, again, I don't know if this matters. I updated the bios to the current ver. 1104; but all my issues remain.

Things I've tried:
*Booting using one stick of memory (tried with both)
*Disconnecting peripherals, sata drives, etc...
*Setting the bios settings to default factory settings.

Things I have yet to try:
*Memtest86 on RAM (Might not even be able to since I can't load Operating Systems)

Things I've Noticed:
*Motherboard does not fully boot and hangs most of the time on Q-Codes 63 & 78
*When it does boot (after many resets) it shows Q-Code 62 and then A2 or 99 when I enter the BIOS

Things That May Matter:
*After first successful boot, post pc build, I changed settings in bios like:
-AI Overclock Tunner set to XMP
-DRAM Frequency to DDR3-1600MHz

After my initial BSoD, I noticed the BIOS Warning "Overcloacking Failed Please enter setup to re-configure your system." This thing is I did NOT overclock my CPU, as far as I know (I'm a newbie). I am trying to run things at stock speed. That's when I decided to reset my settings to default factory and I also hit the reset button on the back of my motherboard; after I did those things that warning went away, but the issues still remained.

Currently, I can only access the BIOS (after pressing reset several times). Any attempt to load an install disk (or USB) or operating system results in an instant BSoD.

Here is what my BSoDs look like in windows 8 and 7:

Windows 8.1 BSoD Message: Kernel Security Check Failure
WIndows 7 BSoD Message: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

To show you exactly what is happening, here is a video of me trying to get my motherboard to boot after pressing reset several times. Note the Q Codes, BSoD and BIOS info:

My biggest fear it that it might be my CPU. I was using bios ver 0904 with my i7-4790k. ANY HELP is greatly appreciated. Please let me know if you need any more more information from me. My power supply might also be the issue. I don't know.
31 REPLIES 31

NemesisChild
Level 12
Welcome to the forum!

First of all, clear the CMOS and return all bios setting to default (assuming that you can enter your bios).

My initial thought is a faulty GTX 760.
I would suggest removing it for now and try posting & booting into Windows with the onboard/4790K iGPU.
Second thing that struck me is that you're trying to power the entire system with a 550W PSU?
Although Seasonic is an outstanding brand, you re probably borderline when it comes to system wattage.

Do you have the 8-pin CPU cable form the PSU connected to your board?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
G.Skill TridentZ@ 3600MHz CL14 2x16GB
EVGA RTX 3090 Ti FWT3 Ultra
Storage: WD Blue SN550 2TB NVMe M.2
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2
ASUS ROG Strix Helios GX601

The 8-PIN CPU cable is properly connected to the motherboard.

I cleared the CMOS, loaded default optimized settings and removed the GPU. So now I am only using the integrated GPU from my 4790k. Even after all that, I still get BSoD:

I'm confident my GPU is not the problem, but I will leave it off until I resolve this issue. I've read online that a 500WATT power supply should be enough for a single GPU system. I even used pc part picker to calculate my base WATT usage for my system to make sure I still have enough (Usage Estimate is 377W):
http://pcpartpicker.com/p/mDzcyc

I tried reconnecting my SSD to boot into windows 8.1 which I installed, but I still get BSoD. My motherboard behaves the same way too, even without the GPU. And now that the GPU if out, I should be using even LESS wattage. Any more suggestions are welcome.

NemesisChild
Level 12
I would now remove the CPU and check for bent or missing pins in the socket.
Also, have you tried booting with one stick of memory in different slots? Or run memtest on each stick individually?

I'm still leaning towards the PSU, even top name brands can be defective or faulty BNIB.
Do you have another PSU at your disposal?
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

NemesisChild wrote:
I would now remove the CPU and check for bent or missing pins in the socket.
Also, have you tried booting with one stick of memory in different slots? Or run memtest on each stick individually?

I'm still leaning towards the PSU, even top name brands can be defective or faulty BNIB.
Do you have another PSU at your disposal?

I have tried booting off one stick of memory (tried one, then the other and in different slots) with no change in behavior. I will try loading memtest on a usb and checking wether it even runs. Unfortunately, I do not have another PSU available to me, I will have to wait until next friday buy another one. Can you recommend a PSU that might do a better job and have less of a chance of being bad? I will have to order thermal paste as well (so I can re-examen the CPU), since I don't have any on me at the moment.

NemesisChild
Level 12
Corsair HX650 is an outstanding unit that I use in most all of my single GPU builds.

I watched your video, why was Windows loading files upon boot? This is not normal unless your installing the OS.
Intel i9 10850K@ 5.3GHz
ASUS ROG Strix Z490-E
Corsair H115i Pro XT
EVGA SuperNova 1200 P2

NemesisChild wrote:
Corsair HX650 is an outstanding unit that I use in most all of my single GPU builds.

I watched your video, why was Windows loading files upon boot? This is not normal unless your installing the OS.

That is because that WAS the INSTALL DVD for windows 7 giving me a BSoD. Also thanks for the PSU recommendation, but I might go with the Corsair HX750, as reviews for HX650 suggest a chirping noise issue.

mastersparkdude
Level 7
Looking at the product page for my ram seems to lack any explicit indication that my intel z97 chipset is supported:http://www.corsair.com/de-de/dominator-platinum-with-corsair-link-connector-1-5v-8-gb-dual-channel-d...

That would concur with some of my BSoDs messages like Memory_Management and paging errors. I need to investigate this further.

Also, I notice that by default my 1600MHz ram shows up in my bios as only 1333MHz. This first thing I did when my PC was working correctly was change the XMP profile of the ram to 1600MHz. Right now after defaults, it's back to 1333MHz. I feel I'm getting closer. I also have to investigate what the RAM voltages should be for my RAM and double check. Also memtest86+ is throwing a bunch of errors at me. I think the hardware issue might be the RAM, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

mastersparkdude
Level 7
I think I have to adjust the settings for my RAM in the bios to 1600MHz manually with XMP (ver1.5) profile. My ram does show up in the compatibility list for my mother board:

EDIT:
Well I loaded the XMP profile for 1.5volts 1600MHz, but still same behavior and I suspect this is what gave me the overclock bios warning originally.

mastersparkdude
Level 7
Looking at another wattage calculator I see that the ASUS website recommends a 650Watt PSU at minimum:

I was going by PCPart pickers wattage calculator which estimated 377Watts, maybe my PSU really is the issue. Like, I said before, I will try a Corsair HX750 PSU next week and report back if anything changes.