cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How I cool my VRM's version 2

jeremiah
Level 9
just thought I'd share my idea and possible help some one else out with a FX9590 or ppl with high OC's 😄

PSU: Antec Platinum 1000watt
CPU: AMD FX-9590 currently, 1100T BE still around
CPU cooler: Swiftech H320
Mobo: Crosshair V formula-Z Bios 2101
Ram: Kingston hyper x beast 16gb [KHX18C10T3K2/16X]
VGA: 2x Gigabyte GTX 670 2gb WF3 oc
Case: Cooler master HAF-X
Keyboard: Logitech G710+
Mouse: Logitech G700s
Screen: Asus VG248QE
Hdd 1: SanDisk 240gb OS
Hdd 2: OCZ agility 3 60gb
Hdd 3: WD Black 1tb
Optical drive: Asus dvd\blue ray cheapy

11 REPLIES 11

dertester
Level 7
I like the idea to mount it on the backside-Fan.

Personally i would go with a 140 instead of the two smaller ones. Maybe a static pressure one to make up for the limited space/air direction

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi jeremiah
An interesting mod. Do you have any results as yet to compare before and after temps.
With my 9590, I mounted a small fan behind the backplate of the CPU for a 4c drop in temp and clocked at 5.2GHz. It didn't help the VRMs though.
I have been considering an EK solution to this VRM problem and may way up your method if proven successful.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

jeremiah
Level 9
@dertester my original mock up was with a spare NF-F12 but with the swiftech cpu block being such a large unit it didnt pan. The block and hoses stick out from the board so far that the 90 degree bend for the VRM fan had to be at approximately the middle point of the rear exhaust fan and therefore blocking most of that fan by the time the fan was mounted so i opted for this design with good quality fans and i must say, these little guys blow alot of wind. Now for ppl with a smaller cpu block they could probably get away with having the bend where i have it and not worry about a fan blade jamming thru there cpu block.

@mean machine I haven't seen any software or anything that has temps listed for the vrm but by touch its defiantly cooler. there were some points that i couldn't keep my finger on for long but now it feels cooler. I know this isn't a scientifically proven answer u were hoping for but i left my infrared temp gun at work lol i too was thinking the EK block but this was much cheaper, simpler and seems to have achieved the job!

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
@MeanMachine

Do you know if the "MotherBoard" temperature reported by Aida64 would be my VRMs?

If so, when using the EK VRM and CPU waterblocks, my temps rock.

I used to run positive case pressure to cut down on dust accumulation, but now I have all case fans exhausting except where radiators intake; and, the back of my motherboard was getting pretty warm around the CPU socket.

Now I run negative case pressure, and the board stays pretty cool; probably because of cool air being pulled in through seams where the case door mates with the chassis.

Edit: Forgot to mention:

Opt 1: Room temperature
Opt 2: Internal case temperature after primary radiator
Opt 3: Water temperature in loop (single loop for CPU, motherboard, and three GPUs)

dertester
Level 7
Has anyone replaced the thermal pads on the vrm heatsink with thermal paste?

The pads look pretty thick so i think are bad at heat transfer.

Im a bit worried if the heathink fits properly enough for thermal paste. A slight bend in the board and it could lift of the board probably..

jeremiah
Level 9
i dont know if the mother board temp is the VRM temp but for reference, after playing dirt 3 for two hours with 2 gpus putting out mid 50 Celsius the highest my motherboard temp got to was 31 Celsius and idles around 21 and room temp is 16 Celsius

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
If the temp listed as "Motherboard" is the VRMs, then mine never are hotter than 6 or 7 degrees above water temperature - even then, only under the heaviest load for a long time.

Z

jeremiah
Level 9
Hey I'm also interested in hearing other ppls core and cpu temps with 9590, 9370 and high oc 8350's. I might start another thread with it. I topped out at 51 under prime blend with 9590 at stock. Is that what others are getting to?

Dr__Zchivago
Level 12
Under my current water setup, when I was running the 9590 at stock settings (not for very long - haha), the highest I saw was around 42 C.

I'll post the screen shots if I can find them.

Z

Edit: That's 42 C, with ambient room temperature at somewhere around 22 to 25 C (can't remember, will find screen shots). Also using Prime95 blend for at least 20 minutes.

Likewise, my water temps never rose more than 3 degrees above room temp until I added the three GPUs to the loop.