cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dumb Question regarding AI Suite

CostaBunny
Level 7
Well, first off here is a dumb question;

I (somehow) am not getting my cpu to slow down to conserve power/heat. I switched on auto overclock while messing about (4.2ghz is nice to have without having to play with any settings), but I generally don't need the overclock.

despite resetting BIOS to defaults etc I seem to only have 3.5GHz for my little i7-4770 - won't reduce clock cycles at all. Ok its not a big deal really but I do wonder how I managed this and why loading BIOS defaults etc has not undone it.

Would installing the ASUS AI Suite enable me to reset this situation or am I missing something blindingly obvious in the BIOS?

any suggestions boys and girls?

ta
2 REPLIES 2

jab383
Level 13
Look in Windows Control Panel > System and Security > Power Options (for Win 7, 8 should be similar). Set the power option to 'balanced' or 'power saver' instead of 'performance.' Balanced works well for my 24/7 settings, letting the CPU clock down to 800MHz when unloaded.

In BIOS, EIST - speed step - should be enabled. If Turbo is also enabled, CPU speed can step up at high load to 3.8 or 3.9GHz depending of model of i7.

I don't use AI Suite -- do all that setting in BIOS.

Jeff

CostaBunny
Level 7
Duh...... thank you

My Power profile was set to 'min CPU=100%'