Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    ROG Guru: Grand Master Array

Rampage V Extreme M.2 Setup And Windows Installation FAQ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	667 
Size:	535.4 KB 
ID:	42677

Installing Windows isn’t exactly rocket science. Most of us have probably gone through this process more than once in our lifetime. But M.2 is a relatively new technology after all so it’s normal that some questions will arise. If you’re planning to use this new form factor, I’ve put together a list of the most commonly asked questions.

Just a quick note. The tests in this FAQ were done on the Plextor M6e PX-AG256M6e 256GB which comes with its own OPROM. There are a few drives out there that lack an OPROM so you might need to modify additional settings to make it bootable. Unfortunately, I do not own one of those drives so I can’t tell you what to change. But if I happened to get my hands on one later on, I’ll update this post.

What types of M.2 SSD does the ASUS Rampage V Extreme support?
    The ASUS Rampage V Extreme only supports M.2 PCI-Express SSDs. Before you go out and make your purchase, you should first verify that the SSD that you are considering is PCIe based.

What settings do I need to change in the BIOS?
    There is only one setting that needs changing. If you were previously fiddling with other settings in the Boot tab, press F5 to load the optimized defaults. Then navigate to the Advanced tab and look under the Onboard Devices Configuration. Change the PCIEx8_4 and M.2 Configuration from Auto to M.2.

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	964 
Size:	277.2 KB 
ID:	42678

Should I install Windows from an USB flash drive or a DVD?
    It’s up to you. Personally, I prefer to do my installations from an USB flash drive because it’s quicker. Windows 8.1 PRO took just 7 minutes to install.

Should I install Windows in UEFI mode or legacy mode?
    For Plextor M6e owners, you can go with either install. Nevertheless a UEFI installation would be ideal since you get faster boot up times, better integration with hardware and a few extra features.

For Samsung XP941 owners, you're stucked with UEFI. Since the UEFI driver is embedded into the firmware itself, you will have no problems installing in this mode. The problem arises when you want to do a legacy installation because it requires a driver to be loaded during the installation process. With the XP941 being an OEM product, there are no drivers available to install in legacy mode.

How do I install Windows in UEFI mode?
    As soon as the ASUS logo pops up during post, spam the F8 key. You will then be presented with a window to choose your boot device. Select your installation media that has the UEFI prefix.

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	500.0 KB 
ID:	42679

Do I need any additional drivers during the Windows installation process?
    No, you do not. I’ve installed the 64 Bit versions of Windows 8.1 Pro and Windows 7 Ultimate onto the Plextor M6e 256GB without the need to introduce any additional drivers during the installation process.

What kind of performance should I be expecting?
    Here's a few benchmarks I ran with the Plextor M6e on a fresh Windows 8.1 PRO install.

Name:	4.PNG 
Views:	606 
Size:	21.8 KB 
ID:	42704

Name:	5.PNG 
Views:	5181 
Size:	38.0 KB 
ID:	42705

Name:	6.PNG 
Views:	268 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	42706

Hello

Nice guide Chino. Thanks.

ROG Member Array

Top job couldn't agree more.... the M.2 is a very amazing Tech... I think it will be a slow take up

ROG Guru: Blue Belt Array tistou77 PC Specs
    tistou77 PC Specs
    MotherboardRampage V Edition 10
    Processor6950K @4.4Ghz
    Memory (part number)Corsair Platinum SE 4x8Gb @3200 C14
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    Sound CardXonar Phoebus
    MonitorDell U2417H
    Storage #1Samsung 960 PRO
    Storage #2Samsung 960 EVO
    CPU CoolerWatercooling
    CaseLian Li A77F
    Power SupplySeasonic Titanium 750W
    Keyboard Logitech LIK
    Mouse Logitech MX revolution
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks for this guide

You have benchmark for the Plextor M6e 256GB (Crystal Disk Mark, AS SSD, etc...)?
    Sorry for my english

Case: Lian Li A77F
    MB: Rampage V Edition 10
    CPU: i7 6950K
    RAM: Corsair Platinum SE 4x8Gb 3200 C14
    GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 SC
    PSU: Seasonic Prime Titanium 750W
    DATA: Samsung 960 EVO
    SOUND: Asus Xonar Phoebus

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

If anyone needs help installing Windows on a Samsung XP941, send me a PM. I will try to post some pointers here when I get in front of my computer and I have the time. Peter from Germany asked for help and was able to successfully install Windows 7 on the Sammy.
    5930K @4.5
    ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
    16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
    Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
    Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
    EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
    Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
    NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
    Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Hello

Following this guide as Chino has wrote it nobody should experience any issue installing to a 941.

Quote Originally Posted by tistou77 View Post
    Thanks for this guide

You have benchmark for the Plextor M6e 256GB (Crystal Disk Mark, AS SSD, etc...)?
    Benchmarks have been added to the opening post.

ROG Guru: White Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by Praz View Post
    Hello

Following this guide as Chino has wrote it nobody should experience any issue installing to a 941.
    Unless of course they get an Windows error message when they go to install the USB ISO windows file on the X941 that says Windows unable to install on the MBR partition and it has to be converted to a GPT partition like both myself and Peter got.

I had to figure out how to fix that somewhere else since no one here was able to explain to me how to solve it. I am only offering to help if someone follows this guide but still can't get it to work. I followed every step outlined here and it STILL did not work for me because of the previously mention error.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...not-being-seen.
    Last edited by Randolla; 10-29-2014 at 07:02 PM.
    5930K @4.5
    ASUS Rampage 5 Extreme X99
    16 Gbs Corsair Dominator 2666Mhz RAM
    Two, EVGA Nvidia Titan X's in SLI
    Samsung XP941 M2 512 Gb M2 boot drive
    EVGA SuperNOVA P1200 PSU
    Case Labs Merlin Full Tower
    NZXT Kraken X61 AiO CPU cooler with four 140mm Noctura Industrial fans
    Overlord Tempest O27X Monitor @ 118 Hz

Quote Originally Posted by Randolla View Post
    Unless of course they get an Windows error message when they go to install the USB ISO windows file on the X941 that says Windows unable to install on the MBR partition and it has to be converted to a GPT partition like both myself and Peter got.
    That error will show up if you had a previous installation of W7 on the XP941 or you had installed the XP941 in your system as a secondary drive and used MBR. The solution is as easy as deleting the partitions and making a new one. The new one will automatically be GPT.

Quote Originally Posted by Randolla View Post

I had to figure out how to fix that somewhere else since no one here was able to explain to me how to solve it. I am only offering to help if someone follows this guide but still can't get it to work. I followed every step outlined here and it STILL did not work for me because of the previously mention error.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...not-being-seen.
    Hello

Pretty much as Chino has already stated. This is a guide for installing fresh. Not what to do if you have already screwed the pooch before knowing the basics.

Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast